What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Peter V'landys saved the sharks

The risk is, they fall straight into the arms of the AFL. I personally know a lot of ex North’s and Newtown fans who have Swans memberships as an example.
I've never understood how an RL fan can give up the game and watch fumbleball. I lost my team (Logan Scorpions) but still live and breathe RL. For years I tried to get the QRL, Logan City Council and Queensland Government to bring the Scorpions back, to no avail. That's how much I love the Scorpions and miss them. I still watch RL and adopted Wynnum Manly as my team. It hurts not having the Scorpions around, but I enjoy watching the Seagulls and have developed a strong passion for the club.

Generalzod

Immortal
I've never understood how an RL fan can give up the game and watch fumbleball. I lost my team (Logan Scorpions) but still live and breathe RL. For years I tried to get the QRL, Logan City Council and Queensland Government to bring the Scorpions back, to no avail. That's how much I love the Scorpions and miss them. I still watch RL and adopted Wynnum Manly as my team. It hurts not having the Scorpions around, but I enjoy watching the Seagulls and have developed a strong passion for the club.
I understand your point of view but Rugby league to many of us is a tribal thing, take that away and all you’ve got is just a game that is soulless..

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Logan missing from the QRL is a disgrace. You won't find a stronger RL heartland. And I'm talking about real Logan representation not Souths-Logan playing out of West End and just using Logan for the player base.

Eion

First Grade
Yeah I couldn’t bring myself to fumble ball.

But I would give soccer and Union a red hot go to spite league. Is also drop all my spend to 0. No more membership, games, merch and paying for Kayo...unless it’s to primarily watch another sport.

Logan missing from the QRL is a disgrace. You won't find a stronger RL heartland. And I'm talking about real Logan representation not Souths-Logan playing out of West End and just using Logan for the player base.
You are so right. One of the reasons I hate the Broncos is because of the way they treated the Scorpions back in 1988. They could have given the club a hand, when they were in trouble back in 2002, but instead they sat back and let it die from 15 years of having to pay an exorbitant lease for Meakin Park that was more than the combined total of every other sports club in Logan. When the Logan Mayor from 2002, John Freeman, entered the mayoral race last year I almost exploded with rage.

QRL is planning on putting a Logan QRL club at Heritage Park.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Souths (South), Easts (East), Manly (North), Parra (Inner west and north west), Penrith (far west), Dogs (South West), Dragons (outer South). Those clubs more than do service to all of Sydney.

Tigers and Sharks are redundant.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You are so right. One of the reasons I hate the Broncos is because of the way they treated the Scorpions back in 1988. They could have given thr club a hand, when they were in trouble back in 2002, but instead they sat back and let it die from 15 years of having to pay an exorbitant lease for Meakin Park that was more than the combined total of every other sports club in Logan. When the Logan Mayor from 2002, John Freeman, entered the mayoral race last year I almost exploded with rage.

QRL is planning on putting a Logan QRL club at Heritage Park.

What's at Meakin Park now? Baseball? I wonder how much their lease is for the same ground...

Interesting about the Heritage Park development, will that be a Logan club entered into the State League? If so, what will happen with Souths Logan? Will they revert to being South Brisbane?

What's at Meakin Park now? Baseball? I wonder how much their lease is for the same ground...

Interesting about the Heritage Park development, will that be a Logan club entered into the State League? If so, what will happen with Souths Logan? Will they revert to being South Brisbane?
Brisbane Strikers were given the rights to use Meakin Park in 2003/04. Soccer Queensland now have their HQ at the ground.

https://footballqueensland.com.au/inside-fq/about/

I have no idea about the new team. I hope it isn't Magpies as they've never done anything for this city other than take our players because southern Brisbane doesn't have any one decent.

Last edited:
West Coast Tigers
Adelaide Sharks.... or (wait for it).... The Great Australian Bite :p... ok time to get off the internet
I'd keep the Tigers in Sydney as the Western Sydney Tigers, in black, gold and white hoop design, similar to South Sydney Rabbitohs' myrtle and cardinal. Canterbury Bulldogs to Christchurch so Tigers can absorb the area. North Sydney Sea Eagles, red and black hoop design jersey. Sydney Dragons, red, white and blue hoops design.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Growing up, some of us only had one NSWRL and one BRL game on the weekend on TV. So watched something else that used an oblong ball - whether 4 Nations Rugby or VFL.

In fact I remember when we used to have to stay up to 10:30pm on a Tuesday night to see the highlights of the NSWRL Match of the Day.

The Gold Coast and Cronulla.

Two failures that rugby league administrations keep pouring money into like a bottomless pit and one of which bit the hand that fed them and prostituted itself to the highest bidder

If they were to disappear no one would care.

That's not very nice.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why did the sharks need saving?

Don't they own all the land around their stadium and had a development going???

it was more than just financial viability, it was also the stench they were creating. Despite selling off the family jewels they are still losing money hand over fist, only difference is they are now burning their cash they got from the sale to stay viable rather than borrowing to cover their losses. Maybe the redeveloped LC and the new golf course pokies will keep them afloat in the future, maybe not.