What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How the NRL can work around a Fifa World Cup

Real Eel

Juniors
How the NRL and AFL can work around a World Cup

Well there has been plenty of debate over what chance a World Cup bid has if the NRL and AFL will be left out of pocket. Is this the case though?
An ideal situation for the rugby league and AFL during a World Cup would be as follows.

Host 4 NRL rounds over 5 or 6 weeks overseas in the UK, Qatar and the USA.

Whilst the World Cup is on in Australia, the UK and USA would all be watching it in early morning hours their time while there local footballing comps are all shut down, meaning they will have a lack of live sport for a number of months.

This is a perfect situation for the NRL to test the waters overseas and whilst doing so, make a fair amount of money with guaranteed sell outs in the UK, having curious locals and many Australian expats turning up.
This would more than compensate for missed ticket sales in local Australian stadiums, and also cover air travel and accommodation for each club overseas.

The NRL and FFA can monitor each clubs financial situation while overseas and if any club is in the red, then compensation would be paid.
This can also potentially boost the possibility of increased international TV rights to the game for the following season. If not for NRL rounds, then for a highlights show.

State of Origin games could be played at 3 separate points world wide; the UK (Wembley) which already follow the game, Qatar which is a rich sports nation and Lebanon, where the game has a huge following.
As for the AFL, a country road show of rounds in the outback areas would give more back to the locals they draw their players from at a young age. Providing FIFA ok this.

Financially though, the AFL would need some government assistance or FFA compensation from ticket sales from World Cup games played at AFL stadiums or training grounds rented out to international football teams.
Maybe this all sounds like a huge long shot, and farcical, but i think its worth a mention anyhow.

I do also realise this still inconveniences Australian NRL and AFL fans who like going to live games and have season tickets, plus having to watch there beloved game being played at 10/11pm at night (sorry kids!). Discounted season tickets for the World Cup year could be an option.

theroar . com.au/2010/03/18/how-the-nrl-and-afl-can-work-around-a-world-cup/

Not a bad idea but Soccer Australia/Aust Govt would have to cover travel, accommodation and provide compensation domestic tv rights holders for the odd times of games

Nevan_

First Grade
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I honestly hope he is joking. Qatar, USA AND Wembley? :crazy:

umm...

sorry to be rude seeing as you obviously put alot of thought into your little plan, but that has got to be one of the stupidest things i've ever read.

WireMan

Bench
If you did a Manchester Magic weekend at Old Trafford it will be worth it and sell out. Plus your players get to play in a proper stadium. :D

Far Queue

Juniors
2l8hy5c.jpg

Nerd

Bench
If you did a Manchester Magic weekend at Old Trafford it will be worth it and sell out. Plus your players get to play in a proper stadium. :D

Proper stadium?? Suncorp Stadium leaves most other rectangular stadiums in the UK for dead.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Im not sure if the writer realises it but UK is a big soccer country. The whole countries concentration will be on Soccer.

Goddo

Bench
AFL and NRL are simply posturing to ensure they get a slice of the profits for interupting their season (rightly so).

Both comps can accomodate a shut down. The question is will they? Right now they are saying no, but I think that is mostly because they are trying to squeeze the FFA for money, which is good.

Make enough of a thorn in the bids side and they will throw money and other bonuses our way to get us to comply, but not too big of a problem that it forces the bid to be abandoned or the Government to steamroll us. For the NRL and AFL, its all about eating into the FFA's profitability from the world cup.

We should be going to them with a shopping list of things we want for us to comply. Eg, must redevelop and use Belmore as a training ground along with other NRL venues, must build proposed Campbelltown stadium et cetera.

Then, run say 3 split rounds through the cup so there is NRL on in host cities, start and finish the season a little early and late, run Origin at smaller venues and demand HUGE compo, then demand compo for finacial impact on media deals, crowds and memberships. This with all the stadium redevelopments and facility improvements would be a great result for us.

Last edited:

tjothy

Juniors
The AFL should be doing everything in there power to stop the world cup from coming to Australia. They get nothing out of it. The NRL and RU get upgraded stadiums all across the country. Not that the either code needs them with crowd averages in the NRL under 18000 and the Super 14 not doing any better.

If the World Cup does come to Australia, it would present a great opportunity for the NRL to go back to the country. Im sure if you put the Dragons vs Dogs on a friday night in Port Macquirie or Organge fans will come, rather than stay at home to watch the World Cup on the TV.

AFL will still have alot of there major grounds to play at (such as the GABBA or maybe even Edihad Stadium) but the problem will be pulling the fans in. I think the AFL should have confidence in pulling OK crowds. There are ALOT of football haters in this country.

At the end of the day both the AFL and NRL will lose money and as FIFA are stoping them from playing at there normal grounds, FIFA should reimburse them.

Sir Biffo

Bench
I swear I read this on Big Poofy except it was about a Melbourne suburb playing another Melbourne suburb in California or Baghdad or somewhere ridiculous.

Please don't stoop to their levels of delusion.

Loudstrat

Coach
Coburg vs Dandenong?

BTW, we found the three softc*kcs that care about soccer over League.

If Fifa is so desperate to play their WC during OUR season, then in the interests of cross-code generosity, I probpose to offer them full use of the most iconic grounds in the Rugby LEague world.

Let 'em have Belmore, Redfern, Lidcombe, NSO and Scully Park in Tamworth.

Danish

Referee
So this blokes plan I to send nrl to f**king Beirut, while the afl takes their code around Australia?

What a ridiculous notion.

The nrl would do well to take it's rounds around the nation. Country
NSW and QLD would love some nrl games I'm sure.
Perth, Adelaide would do well, as would playing an entire round out of
NZ and another out of png perhaps.

All with compensation if possible, but even just the exposure would be worth enough to do this IMO

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
The NRL would do well to schedule Souths home games at ANZ and Broncos home games at Lang Park during the mooted time. After all, it happens to us, with Victorianball demanding our banners be brought down, and French Yawnion booking a stadium to one twats dog can piss on the goalposts despite a League test being slated.

Latest posts