What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to give each club a $7m salary cap

bazza

Immortal
Agree in principle

It gives the fans of traditional clubs a club to support while allowing the game to spread into new areas e.g. Perth, more Brisbane/Queensland/NZ teams

Big, well run clubs will go well in the elite league with modern stadiums and big crowds while small minded clubs will wallow in the lower league where their hard core fans can get together on their dirt hills and talk about the glory days.

If the small minded clubs get decent people running things then they can go up to the elite league in a few years

Moffo

Referee
I don`t mind the idea at all. It would need some fine tuning, but has some merit.
Atleast it is an idea, many people seem to critisize, but have no ideas themselves !

cheers

ive actually put a fair bit of thought into it and i cant see how it would put our game in a worse position than it is today

Moffo

Referee
Agree in principle

It gives the fans of traditional clubs a club to support while allowing the game to spread into new areas e.g. Perth, more Brisbane/Queensland/NZ teams

Big, well run clubs will go well in the elite league with modern stadiums and big crowds while small minded clubs will wallow in the lower league where their hard core fans can get together on their dirt hills and talk about the glory days.

If the small minded clubs get decent people running things then they can go up to the elite league in a few years

and thats the point. they could even make the second division comp 12-14 teams and throw in northsyd/newtown etc.

if a lower league club and their fans want to sit on hills and play their old rivals, thats great, a lot of people will go for it as well

what you find in the EPL these days is that a lot of fans will have a premier league team and then their local battlers team that play in the 3rd div/sunday leagues. i could eventually see the same happening in RL

it creates more revenue opportunities for the NRL, will result in more games a week, separate TV deals and give more people what they want.

Eels Dude

Coach
1.) Point taken but the NRL is still a dominant code in 2 of the 3 biggest states in Australia and soon to be 2 biggest

2.) avg crowd in the nrl has been as high as 17-18k. not that far behind. anyway, they make money off the tv deal not crowds

3.) point taken but its something that would grow if we managed the game properly.

That's what i'm trying to say, it's hard to compare to Australia to the UK in this regard.

1) NRL is still the dominant sport in an area of 9 million or so, if that, football in the UK is the dominant sport in a population of 60 million.

2) 25k minimum I meant, most get easily over 30k if they're doing well, so pretty much twice as much.

3) Agree, but if that's going to happen it's the International side of rugby league that needs to expand. I'd love to see it happen but we'll have to see.

They've just got so much more money invested in the game at the moment. I'd more curious to know how the ESL is able to afford the players they can. It's the economy from what I understand but who really knows.

Moffo

Referee
now compare it to the country we're talking about with the premier league.

furthermore the EU also has soccer as it's number one code which also invests in the uk & premier league.

sorry gbanger but im talking about a 7m salary cap vs 100's of millions. do you comprehend the difference?

Vicious

Bench
Regardless of anything else, rugby league is still by far the most popular sport in the eastern states of Australia by way of interest, hence the reason that anything contoversial in rgards to rugby league is splashed all over the news headlines and takes up most of the sports section in each newspaper. For whatever reason people aren`t turning up to games and not near as many kids are playing the game as they once were, but interest wise, not many people don`t watch rugby league or know everything about it. Interest wise it is second to none in the eastern states of Australia and that obviously isn`t being capitalised on as it should be !!!

Spitty

Juniors
NSW, QLD and JB cup are second teir comps that draw small die hard crowds. I don't see any reason why another second teir comp (with the possibility of promotion) would draw any bigger crowds or produce any more revenue.

legend

Coach
The way to bring more money in is to alter the playing seasons so the ESL and NRL don't run concurrently for a start. This means players can play in the ESL once they are not required to play here and keep match fit.

However, the easy financial solution is to have a World Club Challenge every year with the top eight from both the NRL and ESL playing off for a large cash prize.

Send four teams out here (eg 1,3,5,7) and we send four teams over there (eg 2,4,6,8) and we have a round robin format in the pre-season with the final alternated between Suncorp and Wembley/Cardiff on a rotational basis.

The increase in tv rights for both FTA and Pay TV would be enoughto compensate all teams and raise the salary cap to a more financially viable level.

It needs time to work but the vision Super League had with this was most definitely the right way to go.

Razor

Coach
ive heard the population point a million times and no one has ever explained it to me adequately. england has a pop of 60m with about 80 teams who go up and down. so how cant aussie with 20m plus 5m in NZ handle 20 teams?

4 times the population is a significant number.

It would work if the top-tier payments weren't too high, but then just entices them overseas.

Other European countries that pay massive amounts for players - Spain and Italy, have had quite a few teams in serious financial trouble a number of times. They have all kinds of commitements, get dropped, and then don't have the revenue to cover it. Or they spend far more than they can afford to try and get up to the higher leagues and fail, then are screwed.

the games will be of higher quality and fox will be forced to pay market rates for it

Simple fact is that whilst ever News own 50% of the NRL Fox will never pay market rates for the game.

Moffo

Referee
The way to bring more money in is to alter the playing seasons so the ESL and NRL don't run concurrently for a start. This means players can play in the ESL once they are not required to play here and keep match fit.

However, the easy financial solution is to have a World Club Challenge every year with the top eight from both the NRL and ESL playing off for a large cash prize.

Send four teams out here (eg 1,3,5,7) and we send four teams over there (eg 2,4,6,8) and we have a round robin format in the pre-season with the final alternated between Suncorp and Wembley/Cardiff on a rotational basis.

The increase in tv rights for both FTA and Pay TV would be enoughto compensate all teams and raise the salary cap to a more financially viable level.

It needs time to work but the vision Super League had with this was most definitely the right way to go.

we've tried the intergalactic club challenge and it didnt work leg. i remember watching the dogs play halifax at belmore one night and it was the most boring thing ive ever seen. the halifax boys were here for a party and no one turned up

players already whinge about playing 25 games a year so i cant see them increasing their workload unless you paid them a load more

Moffo

Referee
4 times the population is a significant number.

It would work if the top-tier payments weren't too high, but then just entices them overseas.

Other European countries that pay massive amounts for players - Spain and Italy, have had quite a few teams in serious financial trouble a number of times. They have all kinds of commitements, get dropped, and then don't have the revenue to cover it. Or they spend far more than they can afford to try and get up to the higher leagues and fail, then are screwed.

Simple fact is that whilst ever News own 50% of the NRL Fox will never pay market rates for the game.

how is it 4 times? 60m vs 25m?

as i said the european factor of the EPL is a fair point. of course they aren't 100% comparable.

well without news the game is f**ked. hate to break that to you

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
how is it 4 times? 60m vs 25m?

as i said the european factor of the EPL is a fair point. of course they aren't 100% comparable.

It is 20 million. That would be 3x. 500k vs 1.5mill. Means nothing. Just ask sonny bill

_Johnsy

Referee
got anything to offer beyond that imbred?

Personal attacks already, a bit hypocritical considering you eat a female family member for dinner each night.

UK population = 60,776,238 one major football code.
NSW/QLD = 10.3 million three major fotball codes played at the same time.

Will not work

Dave Q

Coach
Moffo needs four new teams:

1. Country NSW

2. Western Reds

3. Wellington NZ

4. Central Coast Bears

Razor

Coach

Where do you get that from?

News taking $8 mil a year to repay their "investment" into the game.
Selling the rights to themselves for a significant discount
etc.

If News didn't own 50% of the NRL the game will be in far better shape.