What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to improve referees

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Oh and this seperation thing is bullshit. It does my head in. ](*,)
For a hundred years you scored a try by grounding the ball cleanly and with control. Why the f**k did we need to change it.

because hollywood had to come up with something to blame for his ridiculous decisions.

Another thing i'll add with referees in the NRL has to do with the broadcasting. when there's anyything linked to possession - a strip, knock on, loose ball we see about 5 slow mo replays focussing on it. In the past when i've watched SL if theres a knock on they dont do this, they dont focus on the decision for 5 mintues like gould. I've been told by people at work who follow AFL that the game just keeps moving after a refs decision so the crowd , players and commentators don't focus endlessly on every single decision.

of course we want to get the right decisions, especially the blatent ones like watmong facing the sideline, but there are a lot of 50/50 calls which just get blown up by commentators and that takes the focus off the game and perhaps make the referreing a lot worse than what it is

Gmac

Juniors
allow refs to use commonsense instead of looking for kpi's etc (dunno if those were scrapped this year)

I may be wrong here but didnt we recently go back to using "common sense" for the obstruction call and for judging an advantage?
Those things ( to me atleast) have seemed much better this season.

the rebel

Juniors
1) Get rid of the dominant and surrender tackles
2) Change the one on one strip rule back to the old rule (unlimited number of tacklers allowed in the process of a strip)
3) go back to 5 metre rule. no wrestlling allowed. once a player is held the tacklers have to get off.

4) 5 minute sin bin for any illegal play such as a high shot etc..

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Archer and Cecchin are worse than Hayne in that aspect.
Archer thinks the world revolves around him.

Archer sh1ts me, especially with his "You're the captain i should expect better from you and your team".

I wish someone would say back. "Hey you're the No.1 referee I should expect better than that"

Hooch

Juniors
Sorry to tell you but the NRL refs are already pretty good.

Players f**k up week in week out and so will refs, it's just that everyone hates refs.

Honestly I don't know why you would be one.

Actually one thing that should be done to help the refs is a zero tolerance on dissent and make the players address them as sir. Just crack right the f**k down on it. If you can't keep your mouth shut as a player tough shit, you'll be on the sidelines. Steve Clarke was good like that, if you crossed him you went to the bin.

If that happens and flows on down to the lower grades refs might get a bit more respect and overall you'll get a better quality of candidate stepping up to the job instead of most people saying I'm not going to be a pink merkin or whatever and more second stringers filling the role.

It's been a bit better this year with Harrigan, the refs have stood up for themselves a few times. Under Finch they were deadset punching bags.

AuDragon

Juniors
I like the captain's challenge idea. Allow them to be wrong twice to prevent captains challenging every decision going against them.

This would certainly clear most of the howlers we see, such as the Watamong PTB, or the DCE possible obstruction in the GF...

Obviously, this implies sound decisions from the video ref, and that can only happen when all ambiguity is removed, starting with the try awarding decision!

Latest posts