What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How To Manipulate a Result

Craigshark

First Grade
When Iro took DWZ out over the sideline just before he was binned, you could clearly hear Butler telling the players, “it’s a play the ball.” Which indicates neither he nor the touchies saw anything bad in the tackle.

Butler was ready to play on.

But no, the bunker has to interfere. It makes a mockery also of him saying there’d been repeated high tackles. He was ready to play on, the thought of a sin bin never entered his head, it was the bunker that told him to send Iro to the bin.

I am not one to normally criticise the referee system but it was a downright stitch up on Saturday night.

well, annesley came out today and said it was butlers desicion to sin bin.. seriously they’re full of shit

well, annesley came out today and said it was butlers desicion to sin bin.. seriously they’re full of shit
After the bunker said what had happened.
If Annesley has said that let us be privy to all the audio from the bunker to the ref for the game.
Let's put the camera on refs at half time who has been talking to them what has been discussed

Ozzi_78

First Grade
I’m the same with the ground. I hated the thought of us not being there but to be honest it holds very little nostalgia now and we don’t know how to use it. We’ve been embarrassed there 10 times in the last 2 years.

Chimp

Bench
I wonder how the NRL would react if a freedom of information request went in for copies of all ref/bunker communications. Surprised a media outlet hasn’t already done that

ragzouken

Juniors
In the end of the day it came down to that last fumble, but yeah tough run, I completely forgotten about the hazleton one and the fact that dwz didn’t have to come from the field, the warriors where playing for it and good on em I guess

Special K

Coach
Annesley saying it was for a number of high shots when the other "high" shots were similar with falling players, players staying down for the bunker etc.

It was complete shite.

DJDL

First Grade
Annesley saying it was for a number of high shots when the other "high" shots were similar with falling players, players staying down for the bunker etc.

It was complete shite.

Yer what?
Iro got sent because other players were doing it as well and the ref had had enough?
I really hope I misunderstood that.

Not to flog a dead horse but I'm watching 100% Footy and at the top of the show one of them mentioned the Brian To'o no try against the Rabbitohs.
If you haven't seen it, have a look at the match replay. It happens at around 31:50 in the match (36m on the replay).
Liam Martin gets penalised for obstructing Siliva Havili in the lead up.
Hivili barely makes contact with Martin and, if he'd been in Paris a month ago, would have taken out bronze in the diving.

I had a look to see who the bunker official was and ... you guessed it:

Screen Shot 2024-09-03 at 06.37.26.png

I've always felt this guy was not really much chop but the past weekend has really confirmed it in my eyes.
He honestly has no business being in first grade.

Yer what?
Iro got sent because other players were doing it as well and the ref had had enough?
I really hope I misunderstood that.

Not to flog a dead horse but I'm watching 100% Footy and at the top of the show one of them mentioned the Brian To'o no try against the Rabbitohs.
If you haven't seen it, have a look at the match replay. It happens at around 31:50 in the match (36m on the replay).
Liam Martin gets penalised for obstructing Siliva Havili in the lead up.
Hivili barely makes contact with Martin and, if he'd been in Paris a month ago, would have taken out bronze in the diving.

I had a look to see who the bunker official was and ... you guessed it:

View attachment 93451

I've always felt this guy was not really much chop but the past weekend has really confirmed it in my eyes.
He honestly has no business being in first grade.
This is the problem there is a few of them who should not be in the field or in the bunker.
You would think this weekend we get 2 who know what they are doing

Manipulation a result ya say? How about many results to fit a script
The script the NRL set out a long, long, time ago........

The run home: Perfectly scripted final NRL round has it all

What a masterstroke of scheduling.
The last round of the NRL season comes down to a shootout for eight spot, a fight for home finals and the all important ‘spoon bowl’.
Hollywood could not have scripted it better.
The Knights and Dolphins will play off for a spot in the finals in the last game of the round. while the Roosters have been smashed with a landslide of injuries and suspensions all at the wrong time.
The Panthers are clinging onto second spot on the ladder but have a fight on their hands with teams in pursuit.
With all things considered, everything is at stake this weekend.
We’ve crunched the numbers and found the highest and lowest possible finish for each team as well as the advantages and hurdles to either get them there or send them skidding at the finish line.
MELBOURNE STORM
Current position: 1st (42 points, 18 wins, 5 losses, 3 byes, +205 points differential)
Prediction: 1st (44pts, 19 wins, 5 losses)
Run home: Broncos (w)
Best finish: 1st
Worst finish: 1st
Verdict: Coach Craig Bellamy is set to name a close to full strength outfit against the Broncos after resting 11 players for last weekend’s clash in Townsville. Star fullback Ryan Papenhuyzen is in doubt with bone bruising but should be fit for week one of the finals, where the Storm will likely host either the Roosters or Cronulla.

PENRITH PANTHERS
Current position: 2nd (38 points, 16 wins, 7 losses 3 byes, +180pd)
Prediction: 2nd (40pts, 17 wins, 7 losses)
Run home: Titans (w)
Best finish: 2nd
Worst finish: 4th
Verdict: The Panthers have made it battered and bruised to the finish line without skipper Nathan Cleary for most of the season, but he’s crucial to a premiership win for the three-time champions. Coach Ivan Cleary has indicated he won’t be mass resting players against the Titans while still on the hunt for a home qualifying final, saying he wants to hit next week in form after putting together a good performance. A win against the Titans will lock in a top two spot, but a loss will leave them at mercy of the Roosters, who would need to beat the Rabbitohs.

SYDNEY ROOSTERS
Current position: 3rd (36 points, 15 wins, 8 losses, 3 byes, +267pd)
Prediction: 3rd (38pts, 16 wins, 8 losses)
Run home: Rabbitohs (w)
Best Finish: 2nd
Worst Finish: 4th
Verdict: Even with season-ending injuries to Sam Walker (ACL) and Brandon Smith (ACL and MCL) and Victor Radley (shoulder) fighting to get back on the park this year, the Roosters still have enough class to defeat arch rival South Sydney. A top two finish, which will secure a home final at Allianz Stadium, is still possible if Penrith lose to the Titans. Trent Robinson’s men could slip to fourth if the Rabbitohs can upset the injury-ravaged side and Sharks beat Manly. That would leave the Roosters with a huge challenge against the Storm at AAMI Park. Already without Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, who is out suspended, the forward pack suffered a double blow against the Raiders with Radley and Nat Butcher (concussion) unavailable for the Rabbitohs clash. Sitili Tupouniua is an option in the back row and Siua Wong is in line to earn a call-up from NSW Cup. So is Sandon Smith, who can cover at hooker and in the halves. Joseph-Aukuso Suaalii will return from a neck injury.

CRONULLA SHARKS
Current position: 4th (36 points, 15 wins, 8 losses, 3 byes, +204pd)
Prediction: 4th (36pts, 15 wins, 9 losses)
Run home: Sea Eagles (l)
Best Finish: 2nd
Worst Finish: 5th
Verdict: A loss against the Warriors at home cost the Sharks a top two spot, but there’s still an outside chance they can land a home final. For that to happen they would need to beat Manly at Brookvale and have both Penrith and the Roosters lose to finish second. However, if they both win, the Sharks’ result is irrelevant to the finals makeup and they’ll face Melbourne in week one. Jesse Ramien (suspension), Ronaldo Mulitalo (knee) and Siosifa Talakai (calf) are all expected to be available this week. Nicho Hynes made his return last week just in time for a push into September where they will be desperate to win at least one game. They haven’t won a finals match since 2018.

CANTERBURY BULLDOGS
Current position: 5th (34 points, 14 wins, 9 losses, 3 byes, +134pd)
Prediction: 5th (36pts, 15 wins, 9 losses)
Run home: Cowboys (w)
Best finish: 4th
Worst finish: 7th
Verdict: A win against the Cowboys will secure a home final from the winner of the Dolphins and Knights clash in week one. The Bulldogs will have to get the job done without Bronson Xerri (suspension), Matt Burton (concussion) and potentially flyer Josh Addo-Carr (ankle). A home final at Accor Stadium is still possible but will rely on Cronulla toppling Manly at 4 Pines Park. The Bulldogs could slip as low as seventh if they can’t overcome the Cowboys and Manly win on Sunday.

NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS
Current position: 6th (34pts, 14 wins, 9 losses, 3 byes, +51pd)
Prediction: 7th (34pts, 14 wins, 10 losses)
Run home: Bulldogs (l)
Best finish: 5th
Verdict: An ugly win over Melbourne assured them a finals spot, but it highlighted some scrappy defence that needs sorting out across the next week or two. The only issue now is where they finish. They can land as high as fifth with a win over the Bulldogs on Saturday, which would have them face either Newcastle or the Dolphins in week one in Townsville. They beat the Knights by a field goal in round two, but have played the Dolphins twice this season for a win and a loss each.

MANLY SEA EAGLES
Current position: 7th (33 points, 13 wins, 9 losses, 1 draw, 3 byes, +133pd)
Prediction: 6th (35pts, 14 wins, 10 losses, 1 draw)
Run home: Sharks (w)
Best finish: 5th
Verdict: Manly will play at 4 Pines Park in the second elimination final to host the loser from the Bulldogs and Cowboys clash, if they take down Cronulla on Sunday afternoon at Brookvale Oval in front of what will be a sellout home crowd. Lehi Hopoate and Tolu Koula are in the running to replace superstar fullback Tom Trbojevic (AC injury) in the No.1 jumper. Anthony Seibold insists Trbojevic will be back in time for the finals but flyer Jason Saab (ankle) is facing season ending surgery. The best case scenario for Saab is a return in time for week two of the finals.

DOLPHINS
Current position: 8th (28 points, 11 wins, 12 losses, 3 byes, +7pd)
Prediction: 9th (28pts, 11 wins, 13 losses)
Run home: Knights (l)
Best finish: 8th
Worst finish: Miss the top eight, 9th
Verdict: Wayne Bennett loves nothing more than beating his former teams, but ending the Knights’ finals hopes would be the cherry on top for the master coach. The Dolphins are on a high after thumping Brisbane over the weekend, and simply need to win for a maiden finals berth. Jesse Bromwich is expected to be available.
NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS
Current position: 9th (28 points, 11 wins, 12 losses, 3 byes, -48pd)
Prediction: 8th (30pts, 12 wins, 12 losses)
Run home: Dolphins (w)
Worst finish: Miss the top eight, 9th
Verdict: It’s do or die for the Knights. A win will sew-up the final spot in the top eight and book a week one finals date with either the Bulldogs or the Cowboys. Adam O’Brien will receive a boost in the forward pack this week with Tyson Frizell (concussion) to retain and prop Jacob Saifiti (calf) likely to be available for selection.

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS
Current position: 10th (28 points, 11 wins, 12 losses, 3 byes, -124pd)
Prediction: 11th (28pts, 11 wins, 13 losses)
Run home: Raiders (l)
Worst finish: Miss the top eight, 12th
Verdict: The Dragons held destiny in their hands but threw it away in a shock loss to Parramatta over the weekend, ending any realistic chance they will make finals this season. For the big dreamers, there’s the smallest of chances they can make it. They would need to beat the Raiders at Kogarah and have the Knights and Dolphins’ game finish with a draw after 90 minutes on Sunday afternoon. Stranger things have happened.
CANBERRA RAIDERS
Current position: 12th (28 points, 11 wins, 12 losses, 3 byes, -129pd)
Prediction: 10th (30pts, 12 wins, 13 losses)
Run home: Dragons (w)
Worst finish: Miss the top eight, 12th
Verdict: Canberra kept their faint mathematical chances alive with a win against the Roosters on the weekend. The only way the Raiders can sneak into the top eight is if they defeat the Dragons and if the clash between the Dolphins and Knights ends in a draw. English Super League bound stalwarts Jordan Rapana (jaw) and Elliott Whitehead (suspension) won’t be available for the trip to Netstrata Jubilee Oval on Saturday.