What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How we looking Big Pete?

ALX25

Bench
Luki suspected ACL injury.

Good to see Su'a back looking a handful.

Loving the effort from Hess as well.

ALX25

Bench
Cook Islands
Brendan Piakura

Papua New Guinea
Robert Derby
Lachlan Lam
Jacob Alick

Samoa
Anthony Milford
Francis Molo
Jaydn Su'a
Keenan Palasia

Tonga
Moeaki Fotuaika
Joe Ofahengaue

Last edited:

ALX25

Bench
Cowboys forward Reuben Cotter is in doubt for Origin II after suffering a suspected hamstring injury in the warm-up before Friday night's match against Manly at 4 Pines Park.

Cotter, who starred for Queensland in their series opening win, was performing a drill running at a hit pad when he clutched at his right hamstring and was ruled out of the match.

He will undergo scans when the team returns to North Queensland on Saturday, with Cowboys and Maroons officials hoping he has only suffered a strain - not tear.

Big Pete

Referee
Judging from the Sunday Mail it appears the Game II side will be

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Selwyn Cobbo
3. Valentine Holmes
4. Dane Gagai
5. Murray Taulagi
6. Cameron Munster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans (c)
8. Josh Papalii
9. Ben Hunt
10. Tino Fa'asuamalueai
11. Kurt Capewell
12. Felise Kaufusi
13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Harry Grant
15. Lindsay Collins
16. Jai Arrow
17. Jeremiah Nanai

With Beau Fermor and Corey Oates joining the squad.

Arrow could reportedly start over Carrigan as well, with Slater sticking with what worked in Game I.

The loss of Cotter is a tough blow. Hopefully he can recover in time for Game III but that will certainly affect the ruck with Cotter doing a lot of clean-up work. For the Maroons hopefully it's offset with more fluid combinations and some better luck with injuries.

ALX25

Bench
Queensland Maroons
1 Kalyn Ponga - Newcastle Knights
2 Selwyn Cobbo - Brisbane Broncos
3 Valentine Holmes - North Queensland Cowboys
4 Dane Gagai - Newcastle Knight
5 Murray Taulagi - North Queensland Cowboys
6 Cameron Munster - Melbourne Storm
7 Daly Cherry-Evans - Manly Sea Eagles
8 Lindsay Collins - Sydney Roosters
9 Ben Hunt - St George Illawarra Dragons
10 Josh Papalii - Canberra Raiders
11 Kurt Capewell - Brisbane Broncos
12 Felise Kaufusi - Melbourne Storm
13 Tino Fa'asuamaleaui - Gold Coast Titans
14 Harry Grant - Melbourne Storm
15 Jai Arrow - South Sydney Rabbitohs
16 Patrick Carrigan - Brisbane Broncos
17 Jeremiah Nanai - North Queensland Cowboys
18 Tom Dearden - North Queensland Cowboys
19 Thomas Flegler - Brisbane Broncos
20 Beau Fermor - Gold Coast Titans
21 Corey Oates - Brisbane Broncos
22 Reece Walsh - Warriors

Read more: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2022/06/20/queensland-maroons-game-ii-squad/

Big Pete

Referee
Oates has done really well to put himself into consideration. Considering he started 2021 in reserve grade, to establish himself as one of the form wingers is a really testament to his character. I made it known I'd prefer Taulagi but Oates does have more tries, more line-breaks, more metres and has played one less game than Taulagi.

It's good to see his efforts recognised and for him to come into camp.

ALX25

Bench
The next squad members know they might be in for Game 3. Unfortunately that can't be said for the other state.

Canard

Immortal
Oates has done really well to put himself into consideration. Considering he started 2021 in reserve grade, to establish himself as one of the form wingers is a really testament to his character. I made it known I'd prefer Taulagi but Oates does have more tries, more line-breaks, more metres and has played one less game than Taulagi.

It's good to see his efforts recognised and for him to come into camp.

I wonder if being the 106th best backrower or top 6 winger in the NRL made a difference to his head space?

Big Pete

Referee
I wonder if being the 106th best backrower or top 6 winger in the NRL made a difference to his head space?
That thought bubble was basically shut down in 2018 before Seibold went back to it in 2020 because the Broncos backrow stocks were completely shot. So much so Corey found himself lining up alongside Ofahengaue. He actually played his best footy that year in the edge backrow until he nearly ended his career against Wests.

I'd say it would have coincided when Jack Bird did his achilles and the Broncos stopped giving him good ball. Seibold's game plan largely revolved around attacking the middle of the ruck and Oates really struggled to adjust.

Since returning, he's found himself in a team that's willing to spread the footy more and he's flourishing under the improved kicking game.

Canard

Immortal
That thought bubble was basically shut down in 2018 before Seibold went back to it in 2020 because the Broncos backrow stocks were completely shot. So much so Corey found himself lining up alongside Ofahengaue. He actually played his best footy that year in the edge backrow until he nearly ended his career against Wests.

I'd say it would have coincided when Jack Bird did his achilles and the Broncos stopped giving him good ball. Seibold's game plan largely revolved around attacking the middle of the ruck and Oates really struggled to adjust.

Since returning, he's found himself in a team that's willing to spread the footy more and he's flourishing under the improved kicking game.

How would you rate him as a backrower? And how would you rate him as a winger?

And do you think he pissed away the best years of career trying to be mediocre backrower as opposed to a elite winger?

Big Pete

Referee
How would you rate him as a backrower? And how would you rate him as a winger?

And do you think he pissed away the best years of career trying to be mediocre backrower as opposed to a elite winger?
I thought he was a really promising backrow coming through and thought he'd find his way there eventually. However he proved a revelation on the wing and he's done well to still be among the best wingers in the competition.

As for the second part of your question, I wouldn't say so. After his rookie season, he spent sometime on the bench as a utlity but outside of those three games in 2020 he's spent the majority of the time on the wing.

According to the Courier Mail, Slater had to 'defend' not picking Oates.

Here's a reason - he picked a better player.
He also had to make the kiwi quota even higher in the 17. Now QueeNZland have "the Auckland 4" in the side, so that bodes well for them.

ALX25

Bench
He also had to make the kiwi quota even higher in the 17. Now QueeNZland have "the Auckland 4" in the side, so that bodes well for them.

All have junior clubs in QLD which meet the eligibility criteria that both states agreed to. On to your next whinge.

jim_57

Staff member
All have junior clubs in QLD which meet the eligibility criteria that both states agreed to. On to your next whinge.

Should be able to play Origin if they meet that Origin criteria, agreed. Should also be able to play for NZ at end of year if they want or Australia or Tonga or whoever they’re preference is.

Unlike the "Ben Te'o - Hibiscus Coast Raiders" days huh? Channel 9 had to stop showing those lil junior club shout-out vids after that lol.

The biggest game this weekend will be played in Auckland, where a quarter of your team was born.

Latest posts