What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How well will the Gold Coast Titans do in 2012 ?

Where will the Titans finish in 2012 ?

• 1st-4th

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • 5th-8th

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • 9th-12th

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • 13th-16th

Votes: 34 42.5%

• Total voters

anjado

Juniors
Gold Coast have recruited heavily in the off season bringing in some decent signings, obviously the biggest signing is Jamal Idris who they have spent a big chunk of money on and who has to deliver on his potential whilst at the Titans.

For me the best signing is Douglas who will be able to take of capably from Bailey when he retires. Until then a Bailey and Douglas front row is pretty decent. Champion played very well at Souths and was on the verge of rep selection so it is another good signings. Nate Myles at his best was a workaholic.

Obviously the biggest question marks over the Titans are will Beau Falloon be an adequate replacement for Nathan Friend i am thinking he wont be. Scott Prince was flat out awful last season the big question is whether this is just a blip or will this be the way his career comes to an end ?

Beau Henry is his main back up which doesn't inspire massive confidence since he has been passed around by many clubs. Jordan Rankin is the other but i believe he will play five eighth it will be interesting to see how he goes.

To be honest despite there signings this titans squad doesn't really impress me mainly on the back of Prince's form from last season. The one saving grace is that there under 20's made the qualifying final last season despite being obliterated by the Warriors. So along with Rankin and James and ridge they might have some decent young players coming through.

But for me i think the Titans will certainly be in the bottom 3 and i would be shocked if they made the finals.

Loudstrat

Coach
Buger me if he didnt wake up............

They will finish equal to or above where they ended up last year.

Big Pete

Referee
Obviously the biggest question marks over the Titans are will Beau Falloon be an adequate replacement for Nathan Friend i am thinking he wont be

What?

What about Srama?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
A lot of things went against them last season, but some of their play was absolutely disgraceful (as you'd expect from the spooners)

How Srama develops will be a key. He looked to have some spark, but at the same time he stood out in a poor team. Not sure he's got the ability or maturity yet to take the weight off Prince's shoulders so unless Prince can recapture some form, it's going to be a lean year.

The plus is that if they can resist the urge to put Bird into the halves, they've got a great starting forward pack, and plenty of try scoring outwide, especially if Gordon and Mead can stay fit.

Spine looks to be the weakest part by some distance (bench/depth a little suspect too) and for this reason I see them having more steel in their defense, and tighter games, but I don't see them as a top 8 team.

Goddy

Juniors
The Titans left a lot to be desired before they lost all their star players. They won't make the 8.

Spot On

Coach
Desperately needed someone like Douglas up front. Prince at his best will be needed to get this mob into the eight but that's well past now isn't. No halves partner again for him most probably. Idris needs to show something before they shove him in the backrow permanently. I was really impressed with David Mead last year. He toughened up a lot and was a standout for them late last season.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Have recruited quite well imo. Will definately improve (no brainer from the spoon last year). Concerns for me are 5/8 and depth. Little hooker is a goer. 8th-12th for me.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Titans need a quality 6 to help Prince, especially with the kicking game and organisation.

They should have went after Robert Lui who is a genuine 6.

They can buy all the centres, back rowers and what not that they like, but it won't fix the problem.

Gold Coast have recruited heavily in the off season bringing in some decent signings, obviously the biggest signing is Jamal Idris who they have spent a big chunk of money on and who has to deliver on his potential whilst at the Titans.

For me the best signing is Douglas who will be able to take of capably from Bailey when he retires. Until then a Bailey and Douglas front row is pretty decent. Champion played very well at Souths and was on the verge of rep selection so it is another good signings. Nate Myles at his best was a workaholic.

Obviously the biggest question marks over the Titans are will Beau Falloon be an adequate replacement for Nathan Friend i am thinking he wont be. Scott Prince was flat out awful last season the big question is whether this is just a blip or will this be the way his career comes to an end ?

Beau Henry is his main back up which doesn't inspire massive confidence since he has been passed around by many clubs. Jordan Rankin is the other but i believe he will play five eighth it will be interesting to see how he goes.

To be honest despite there signings this titans squad doesn't really impress me mainly on the back of Prince's form from last season. The one saving grace is that there under 20's made the qualifying final last season despite being obliterated by the Warriors. So along with Rankin and James and ridge they might have some decent young players coming through.

But for me i think the Titans will certainly be in the bottom 3 and i would be shocked if they made the finals.

Good summary need to clear out Prince + Bailey and use their $ on a decent half and a couple of toiler props IMO.

Another question is, is if they go awful again, will they still be financially viable?

aussies1st

Staff member
OP has pretty much summed up my thoughts. If Prince can regain his form then he might be able to mask over the lack of a quality 6 else it'll end up being like last season.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
alot of questions marks, halves being the biggest one. Can buy all ther ep players you want but if there is no direction to them it's just wasted money. look how well australia did with hornby at 7.

A fit kevin gordon at centre instead of michaels makes an improvement, ryan james is looking to be a prop of the future although bailey and harrison when they are on the field do amount of quality work the ageing bodies can't be counted on for full seasons. As somone already mentioned douglas fits his mould when he leaves perfectly and if Nate Myles gets back to his best can fill the workload left by laffranchi. If srama stays fit and keeps progressing he will do fine but don't expect miracle straight away and as the making of a rebuilding season with alot of new faces to gel together. Lockyer manages to shake off his injury woes and find a rich vein of form towards his mid 30's so perhaps princey can do the same.

newman

First Grade
Won't come last but won't go any good either. 13th.

Serious question.... Does anyone on this forum support this mob?

NAS

Juniors
I thought the Gold Coast would improve this year..then I sat down and analsyed their team. Whoever is in charge of recruitment up there needs a head kicking....idris and champion are both right centres...have a thousand lock forwards, two of which are elite high paid players. Lack some depth in other positions including fullback, five eighth and half. Falloons recruitment at least gives them some depth at 9.

Srama started with a bang but was beginning to be found out towards the end of last season....second year syndrome beckons.....though I still think he's a great long term prospect.

In my view the coast needed to forget about the big names and should have focused on solid depth.....

I think that they'll improve but only just.....13th to 16th for mine.

Redback71

First Grade
I vote 5th to 8th. I can see prince returning to form and there young hooker Srama getting even better. for me there biggest loss is Laffranchi and friend and I think alot of there poor form last year also had to do with friend not playing.

for me they should make the 8 and finish around 7 or 6