What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How will souths go without Reynolds?

broncos2010

Juniors
So Reynolds is pretty much gone for season, we all know how important he is to south's with his kicking game and he was pretty much in career best form.

Who replaces him and how will south's go without their key player to steer the ship around?

Noname36

First Grade
They'll still go well although Keary will really need to stand up. He's been able to sit back and let Reynolds run things but will need to take on more responsibility.

And Sutton will move into the halves.

drago brelli

Bench
How can anybody be sure how many games Reynolds will miss. He hasn't had the scans yet. South will still be very strong. Johnson to 1, Inglis to 6, Keary to 7, then get Lote out or retirement.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Massive loss
I've gone from hoping we get a top 4 finish and another tilt at the title to just being able to make the 8.

We will be a lesser team. That's for sure. Look at the Panthers without Soward. I think we are lucky in that we have several other capable ball players like Sutton, Keary, inglis and Stewart but we won't replace his kicking game easily. His goal kicking will also be missed but I believe Goodwin kicks at > 80% so we should still be ok in that regard.

BunniesMan

Immortal
7. Keary
6. Inglis
1. Johnston

It probably rules us out of the minor premiership but I am confident we'll stay in touch with the top 4. Hopefully Reynolds comes back with 2-3 weeks left in the regular season, enough time for him to get the rust out for when the season really begins.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Souths are awful without Reynolds,he got injured in a finals match a few years back and than the Bunnies got carved up,he went off the field injured the other week against someone(i think Tigers,he ended up coming back on the field) and they were awful whilst he was gone.

Adam Reynolds 1
South Plodney Ploditohs 0

BunniesMan

Immortal
No doubt we are a worse team without him, much worse. But it is funny how short some peoples memories are. It wasn't that long ago he was talked about as the most limited one dimensional uninspiring halfback. The cog in the wheel that was supposedly holding us back.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I believe Goodwin kicks at > 80% so we should still be ok in that regard.

But goodwin lets in 1 or 2 tries a match to balance that out. With a re - shuffle in the backs needed to cover for reynolds loss, it means reddy and goodwin will likely stay in the team
Sutton to 5-8th whenshis back, inglis is best served at the back and the increased work load at 5-8 will stifle his game especially since it looks like he will be carrying an injury all year

POPEYE

Coach
Wankers will be hoping Reynolds is out for as long as predicted, the probable reality is he will be out for half that long. In the meantime Maguire will be able to reinforce his replacement capability, something he'll enjoy imo. Losing Luke, Inglis or Stewart would have been harder to compensate for

soc123_au

Staff member
9th.

This will make or break Keary, if he can do it without Reynolds he will be up with the best halves in the game. Lots of pressure for the kid.

souths_pride

Juniors
I don't think it will affect us too much. One thing about Michael Maguire is that he is always prepared for worst case scenarios. I remember a few years back when Greg Inglis was out suspended after shoulder charging Dean Young, everyone was saying that we won't be able to copy; we actually were better without him! My point is that Michael Maguire will adapt and change the team and strategy to cover the loss. The good thing about this South Sydney squad is that we've got players who are competent in playing in multiple positions; while Adam Reynolds is a good half back he is no Andrew Johns, so its not as if he is a critical loss.

What I think will happen is that Greg Inglis may move to five-eight and Alex Johnston to fullback and Keary to halfback. Everyone at the club has been saying that AJ is an unbelievable fullback and his long term future is in that position. As for Inglis, I was really impressed when moved there during Friday's game. I thought his involvement in the game increased (something which many of his critics points to) and he played direct which is good. I think Inglis would be a more dynamic version of Sutton at 5/8; he will look to straighten up the attack, use his strength, size and elusiveness to attract defenders and burst through holes. Also, don't forget he won a Clive Churchill medal playing in that position.

DC_fan

Coach
When a team loses a quality player for an extended period like Souths have of course they will struggle. But we still have some very good players who will have to step up and I suspect they will.

Canard

Immortal
Not as good, with the refs in their pockets though they will still win a fair few.

Card Shark

Immortal
Yes, bottom of 8.

Won't go back to back....but in my opinion, they weren't anyway, as history suggests.

All ducks aligned last year, this year they are not.

Vic Mackey

Referee
He hasn't even had scans yet ffs

McGuire was just trying to justify the penalty in saying 'worst case scenirio'

4 months hasn't been mentioned by anyone associated with souths, only media hacks guessing after that comment.

Last edited: