What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Howell sore over charge for 'soft' hit

raidersforme

Juniors
Howell sore over charge for 'soft' hit
Sam Worthington
space.gif

Canberra centre David Howell has accused the NRL of protecting rugby league's glamour players after the Raider was charged for striking Melbourne superstar Greg Inglis yesterday. Howell, 23, will miss the Raiders' Monday night match against the Newcastle Knights after officials hit him with the grade-one charge.
The NRL's match review committee cited Howell for striking Inglis in the 75th minute during the Raiders' 32-16 loss to the Storm on Saturday.
The Raiders will officially decide today whether to contest the charge but Howell was resigned to missing Monday's match.
"I don't think I touched him with anything, it was a pretty soft incident," Howell said. "Obviously my elbow was raised so [the judiciary] has got to go off that but I don't think there was much in it."
Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy complained after the match that teams were targeting Inglis unfairly in his new position as a five-eighth.
"I'm pretty sure he copped a forearm late there," Bellamy said.
"He's not a guy to go down and stay down - he's a tough kid. We need a bit of protection for him."
But Howell disagreed with Bellamy's assessment of the incident, saying that Inglis had milked the contact to gain protection from referees.
"I don't think there was very big contact or anything, there wasn't a bleeding nose or anything so it's all part of footy really," he said.
"That would have helped his cause I think [staying down] with the headlines in the papers about teams going out to target playmakers like Inglis."
Howell suggested Bellamy's comments had attracted the match review committee's attention after referee Jared Maxwell ignored the incident on the night.
"I think that's always going to happen in any sport," he said. "If the big name gets injured or something happens to him, yeah, there's always going to be bigger headlines or more concern about him.
"If it happened to [Raiders players] Michael Dobson or Todd Carney, probably nothing would have happened, so it's pretty disappointing in that respect."
Howell, who recovered from a thigh injury to secure the starting centre position in round one, said the impending suspension was hugely frustrating.
"It was my second game back and I was just starting to get some confidence out there and then to have this, it sort of puts you behind the eight-ball again," he said.
Raiders coach Neil Henry has ready-made replacements when he names the team today.
Utility Marshall Chalk will likely be promoted from the bench into Howell's vacant centre berth with fullback William Zillman remaining in the No1 jersey. Andrew Dunemann is likely to be named on an extended interchange bench.
Scans cleared second-rower Ben Jones of damage in his neck yesterday and is likely to be named today.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de... league&story_id=569619&category=rugby league

Personally i am glad he is out after that performance the guy had brain snap's all night

Raider Azz

Bench
he's right though, for example, if it was inglis that made the hit on howell nothing would have happened. but this is nothing new, the NRL has always protected the "superstars"

woodgers

Bench
He has a point, just don't think the club will be that thrilled with him making those comments. I haven't seen it again on tape yet though.

The NRL can fix this quickly though I believe. Just get Howell to go on the Footy show and apologise....maybe even get them to hug a few times ala SBW and Joey. Hugs fix everything...as long as Howell doesn't squeeze too hard and get another week.

dubby

Bench
woodgers said:
He has a point, just don't think the club will be that thrilled with him making those comments. I haven't seen it again on tape yet though.

The NRL can fix this quickly though I believe. Just get Howell to go on the Footy show and apologise....maybe even get them to hug a few times ala SBW and Joey. Hugs fix everything...as long as Howell doesn't squeeze too hard and get another week.

:lol: :lol:

Gold!

Funny thing is, the judiciary has done us a favour! Although i would have preferred Howell on the wing instead of Best. Joey will smash him all night with those monster kicks...

Raider_69

Post Whore
id be all for david howell squeezing too hard and getting another week on the sideline, or 2 or 3 even

thickos

First Grade
To be honest I can't even remember the hit. But we've had two games this season of Bellamy whinging and carrying on about poor old Greg copping it from everywhere... comes with the territory IMO.

raidersforme

Juniors
I remember the hit, he did come it late with elbow up hit inglis on cheek, played continued then we see inglis still on groung with trainer holding face, next minute his up and running around again fine.

It was dodgy don't know if commited or brain snap he had so many during game can't tell

dubby

Bench
It did look bad and it copped Inglis on the throat. TBH, I could see Bellamy telling Inglis to lay down after a shot like that merely to "protect" him from all the big bad players out there who might try to hurt him.

I think its a smart move by Bellamy, albeit cowardly, to protect his gun rookie.

paulquinn49

Bench
It was pretty soft, but connected so a week is fine imo

Howell will force his way back into the side straight away, maybe him not playing will improve his chances going by the "form" the outside backs have been showing thus far

woodgers

Bench
I watched the tape last night. Fair enough, Howell looked to come in with a raised forearm however if anyone can find how that contact with the head is worse than the Inglis one on Carney in about the 10th minute which resulted in a penalty, that would be great.

I can't believe it is round 2 and we are already talking about getting a raw deal with citings! Didn't Nutley punch a Cowboys player? The week before he got Peachey into the worse horizontal position in ages and no charge either yet Costigan got done. I recall a few bad swinging arms on Friday night in the Dragons vs Knights game too.

Another year, another random process up at the judiciary doing the Raiders no favours again.

Um Jammer Lammy

Juniors
I thought the incident was a little ugly. There was a definate elbow there.

Either way I'm just happy to have a team without David Howell.

sydraider

First Grade
woodgers said:
I watched the tape last night. Fair enough, Howell looked to come in with a raised forearm however if anyone can find how that contact with the head is worse than the Inglis one on Carney in about the 10th minute which resulted in a penalty, that would be great.

I can't believe it is round 2 and we are already talking about getting a raw deal with citings! Didn't Nutley punch a Cowboys player? The week before he got Peachey into the worse horizontal position in ages and no charge either yet Costigan got done. I recall a few bad swinging arms on Friday night in the Dragons vs Knights game too.

Another year, another random process up at the judiciary doing the Raiders no favours again.

50/50 calls arent the only things that will go against us this year.

It is a fair dinkum joke, Bellamy learnt a lot form bennett, whinging in particular, poor old greg, please protect him.

Reminds me of that scene from " The Departed" Where DiCaprio's character lets the shrink know that "these cops signed up to use these firearms"

Inglis signed up to be a pivot, he will cop the hits, get the f**k over it bellamy.

aussies1st

Staff member
It looked ugly deserved the one match ban but I do wonder if that was a Raiders play if the same punishment would have been given.

julian87

Juniors
Howell is one of our better wingers. Terrible centre though. I think most people are forgetting the good attacking combo that Graham and Howell formed last yr. I think he needs to be our left winger.

dubby

Bench
julian87 said:
Howell is one of our better wingers. Terrible centre though. I think most people are forgetting the good attacking combo that Graham and Howell formed last yr. I think he needs to be our left winger.

I second the notion.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i second the notion of howell for left right out, the second kelly, cross or frawley gain the slightest bit of form
(assuming apon bronx's return we dont see him ousted anyways for a goodwin, best, graham, chalk, purtell backline)

parra_jesus

Juniors
howell was terrible in the centres. i agree with you guys a shift back to the wing is a must upon his return from suspension

Latest posts