What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Howell sore over charge for 'soft' hit

julian87

Juniors
But Raider69, aren't wingers there to prevent, though mainly score tries?

Why on earth would you have Purtell. The only thing he is good for is defending the high ball and not knocking it on in kick returns. I would rather Howell, Best, Goodwin, Frawley, Irwin or Milne all ahead of him.

Mal Meninga

Bench
Considering how bad our handling's been so far, I think Purts should be kept in the side.
So far Purts has given us two 100 metre games and 2 line breaks with no brain farts.

Raider_69

Post Whore
julian87 said:
But Raider69, aren't wingers there to prevent, though mainly score tries?

Why on earth would you have Purtell. The only thing he is good for is defending the high ball and not knocking it on in kick returns. I would rather Howell, Best, Goodwin, Frawley, Irwin or Milne all ahead of him.

Purtell is not only playing better footy then howell at the moment, but he is a bloke with alot of room to improve, howell is not imo. My personal opinion on how the backline should go full strength and in form would be 1.goodwin 2. best 3. graham 4. zillman 5.chalk

julian87

Juniors
Agree to disagree. I think Chalk is horrible on the wing, as shown by souths last year. Since he's been moved into the forwards, he has struggled in the backs. but I think he may go ok in the centres.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I'd take Howell over Purtell but I'd rather the Raiders open up the cheque book this year and sign a big mongrel of an outside back.

Raider_69

Post Whore
julian87 said:
Agree to disagree. I think Chalk is horrible on the wing, as shown by souths last year. Since he's been moved into the forwards, he has struggled in the backs. but I think he may go ok in the centres.

that chalk game is only one game, he had a shocker no doubts, but im confident once he got used to it again he'd be a fine winger

Raider_69

Post Whore
centre or wing works for me, but we need to settle him into a single position and let him get accustome to it. A strong hole running centre is something we've been missing, he could be that man

Macko8

Juniors
Howell over purtell any day of the week.

Not only is howell faster and more skilled than purtell
Howell doesnt look like his going to lose the ball on every kick return, unlike purtell.
IMO howell has done nothing wrong at centre,he and graham just need to work on getting more involved.
Best and Purtell need to work on handling errors.

Macko8 said:
Howell over purtell any day of the week.

Not only is howell faster and more skilled than purtell
Howell doesnt look like his going to lose the ball on every kick return, unlike purtell.
IMO howell has done nothing wrong at centre,he and graham just need to work on getting more involved.
Best and Purtell need to work on handling errors.

Interesting you should comment on purtells handling, from the games ive seen, its a sh*tload better than david howells has been this season so far.

julian87

Juniors
I think Purtell is a very safe winger. But we need points from out wide, which is why, unless he atarts picking his attacking up, he will soon be replaced by Howell or frawley.

Macko8

Juniors
yeah watever fellas,im so far sick of arguing about simple little things like howell or purtell,whose got the best handling who hasnt,who files his finger nails ,who doesnt.

To me its not worth getting into a stink about. Our backs havent got the ability of other backs in the comp,its as simple as that. The backs is one position we have struggled to recruit and produce top footy players in the past years,exception of Graham.
At the end of the day everyone has their OWN opinion.

skeepe

Immortal
The thing that struck me in the Storm game was how Purtell always seemed to be out of position. It's no accident that almost all of the Storm's tries came down his side.

paulquinn49

Bench
Howell will be straight back into the next game, judging by what Henry was saying. TLL to comeback through reggies.

Surely Chalk has gotta go, he cant play fullback, sucks on the wing and now Campese is a better centre than him!

julian87

Juniors
I was calling for Campo to play centres a while back. Now i'm saying he's good he will probably go crap. But I hope he is given a go there. I will be very dirty if Howell walks back into the team. But I do think Chalk doesn't have a spot in the team anymore.

Latest posts