What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Howlong before North Queensland win the comp?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say it will be wnen they can defend for long periods of time, and thats not just in one game, but put may good defensive games together.

They rely on scoring a lot of points but thier defence is a bit inconsistent, which showed up against the Tigers

Thierry Henry said:
The current Cowboys squad isn't in a particularly unique or exciting position talent wise. Their future doesn't look any brighter than a number of other teams' imo. It sucks that they've made the top 4.

how does it suck?.......by playing well enough during the yr they put themselves high enough on the ladder to maybe get a 2nd chance if beaten the 1st week ..

sour grapes goose .. the only thing that sucked was your team this yr..

Stranger

Coach
Misty Bee said:
Congrats to the cowpats for last nights win. I can't quite believe that Melbourne expected to be a big chance in the premiership this year - they were the best of the smokies - nothing more, but I digress.

I would have backed Melbourne if Slater and Kearns were there. Melbourne looked leaderless and the kicks that usually bounce into slaters arm's just had no chasers.

You cannot even say that the Cowboys easy progression to week 3 was an anomaly in the system. Results like these are validated by the Mac system. For example, just say that results in week ones went to the higher seeded sides, so 1 beat 8, 2 beat 7, 3 beat 6 and 4 beat 5.
In the second week 3 would play 5 and 4 would play 6. This means that not only would week 1 be meaningless in terms of elimination for these teams but the side that came third would draw a higher placed side than the team that came 4th.

Every year a McIntyre system love child emerges and this year the Cowboys have won the golden ticket for pampering and redemption.

nqboy

First Grade
weasel said:
They could win the comp this year, although if that were to happen I don't think even NQ fans would deny such an event would prove nothing but how ridiculous this finals format is. With the Young Guns winning the QLD Cup, they've certainly got the talent coming through, and I think they'll be a top six regular for a few more years to come and might win the comp sometime soon, but I think a few more clubs are better positioned talent-wise. I think they need a changing of the guard in the centres soon, some more attacking spark is needed there.
Agree. We could win this year but it would be a pleasant surprise rather than a realistic expectation. The stinging defence which was the foundation of last year's charge is still MIA and we lack go-forward as well. Against that, we have more spark from the Dally M winner and our youngstars are a year older.

Ra was outstanding in his first year for the club but does not provide the roll-on that he used to. Spends too much time as a ball player and stepping to avoid the hit before the line instead of crashing into the line and then off-loading if possible. Truck has improved a bit in recent weeks but still lacks leg speed and drive.

And, though strong in defence, we definitely lack speed and penetration in the centres. Many fans call for Bear to shift to the backrow but we don't have the depth to replace him so he'll be there for a while yet.

And don't read too much into our Qld Cup win, Matt Scott will be a good FGer rather than a great one, Scott Bolton's big and willing but still young and there's not too much else there.

We're still a way off yet IMO.

MrSharky

Juniors
At least 40 years... ;-)

icon6.gif

Meanie

Juniors
weasel said:
Well the cowboys finished outside the top four, lost their first final by 44 points, and have still ended up in the final four of the competition by virtue of a win over another side who finished outside the top four!

Question, when has the victory margin ever been a consideration in a finals format? Whether by 50 or by 1, a win has always been win in ANY finals format. Period.

raider_ktj

Juniors
BlaC_WIte_"N"_BlUE said:
sharks will get one before the cowboys do
:lol: :lol: :lol: You're killing me over here!!! :lol:
Then again, after the Cowboys performance against the Tigers... you never know

Agent Mulder

Bench
bender said:
If both sides are at their best, expect the cowboys to beat Parra. Parra are in slightly better form but they dont have quite the same level of talent. At this stage, an all Queensland Grand final is an awful lot closer than a lot of people realise.

lol, Parramatta Reserves would of knocked over both those mobs last night, Very Average Football, From Average Teams, It was that boring it put me to sleep, Can't wait for the Tigers and Bronocs today, Parramatta will knock over that mob next week without Hindmarsh.

Jordan

Juniors
Cowboys had a shocker against the Tigers...but then again, had they lost by 1 or lost by 44 the outcome would have been the same. They finished high enough up to give themselves a second chance.

I thought they were well below there best last night.. they just don't seem to be fired up enough and they're not playing with the emotion they had last year and the beginning of this year.. Hopefully the prospect of a grand final will fire them up next week against Parramatta.. they're in with a chance. If they're at there best, they can win. They'll have to be prepared for an up tempo game though. The Tigers beat the Cowboys with speed...and the Eels did the same to the Cowboys earlier in the year. The Cowboys will have to be awake to that and use there little men to match them.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
dazza62 said:
how does it suck?.......by playing well enough during the yr they put themselves high enough on the ladder to maybe get a 2nd chance if beaten the 1st week ..

sour grapes goose .. the only thing that sucked was your team this yr..

It sucks because they finished 5th, won 1 game out of 2, and end up in the top 4.

Or, to put it another way, it sucks that their punishment for losing by 50 in round 1, was playing the team that finished 6th in the easier of the two second round games.

As mentioned it's the anomaly in the system. Tigers and Brisbane are both ripped off having to play each other. But the Cowboys of course end up having to play the minor premiers. Unfortunately this year I think the 2nd placed team is the best in the comp, so the Storm/Cowboys/Eels side of the draw was always going to be the easier.

Grantwhy

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
It sucks because they finished 5th, won 1 game out of 2, and end up in the top 4.

Or, to put it another way, it sucks that their punishment for losing by 50 in round 1, was playing the team that finished 6th in the easier of the two second round games.
The team that finished 6th but was good enough to beat the team that finished 3rd in the first week of the finals.

Thierry Henry said:
As mentioned it's the anomaly in the system. Tigers and Brisbane are both ripped off having to play each other. But the Cowboys of course end up having to play the minor premiers. Unfortunately this year I think the 2nd placed team is the best in the comp, so the Storm/Cowboys/Eels side of the draw was always going to be the easier.
If the Broncos had beaten the Storm last week then they wouldn't of been in a position to be "ripped off" ;-) by the anomaly in the system (which appears to be caused by a lower placed team actually wining - shock horror :shock:).

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The anomaly has nothing to do with this year's particular circumstances. It is a fundamental part of the system. Lower winner v lower loser and higher winner v higher loser=unfair on the latter two teams. All it means is that sometimes a better team will be knocked out in week 2 and a lesser team goes on to week 3. Of course, the lesser team then plays the minor premiers which theoretically evens things up.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Thierry Henry said:
The anomaly has nothing to do with this year's particular circumstances. It is a fundamental part of the system. Lower winner v lower loser and higher winner v higher loser=unfair on the latter two teams. All it means is that sometimes a better team will be knocked out in week 2 and a lesser team goes on to week 3. Of course, the lesser team then plays the minor premiers which theoretically evens things up.

One of the reasons why the AFL system is 100 times better! OMG I believe if you come in the top 4, there should be a reward, not the possibility of getting knocked out first week. If you come 5th and get 50 put on you, then you deserve to lose no questions asked. Simple!

foster

Juniors
Agent Mulder said:
lol, Parramatta Reserves would of knocked over both those mobs last night, Very Average Football, From Average Teams, It was that boring it put me to sleep, Can't wait for the Tigers and Bronocs today, Parramatta will knock over that mob next week without Hindmarsh.

the cows are gonna lick youse next weekend.

flamin

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
One of the reasons why the AFL system is 100 times better! OMG I believe if you come in the top 4, there should be a reward, not the possibility of getting knocked out first week. If you come 5th and get 50 put on you, then you deserve to lose no questions asked. Simple!
So you're saying we should have to go on point differential as well in the final series?

Because what would have happened if the tigers won by 1pt?

In answer to the thread topic, I reckon it'll be another couple of years.

I can't see them getting over the Eels this week, their finals form has not been flash, or even leading up to the finals. They actually look like they are playing tired at the moment, Melbourne were just worse than they were on saturday night.

Thier backs are strong, I just believe they need a bit more mobility in the pack. They are toilers, which isnt a bad thing, but when the big front rowers come off they seem to lose impact (or at least they have lately).

In saying that they are in the final 4 and if they can do that playing below par, they could do real damage if they fire up again.

Latest posts