What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hows about Gorrel?

carcharias

Immortal
<H2 id=story>Gorrell not a happy hooker
By James Hooper
September 13, 2006
HE'S the local junior St George Illawarra keep overlooking - the match-winning goalkicker who may have to work part-time to continue his promising NRL career next season.
Despite having emerged as one of the game's top hookers in 2006, Dragons dummy-half Aaron Gorrell remains unwanted by rival clubs and unsigned for next season.
A scheming No.9 with an 80 per cent goalkicking success rate, Gorrell is the NRL's third top tackler behind tireless Canberra lock Alan Tongue and Parramatta workhorse Nathan Hindmarsh.
But the Dragons keep casting the net past him, having signed Michael Ennis in front of him in 2005. He was then overlooked for this year's full-time squad until Ennis moved to Brisbane, while the Dragons lured Canberra hooker Simon Woolford to Kogarah next year.
"I'm disappointed but I suppose they've got to do what they've got to do - it's a business," Gorrell said.
"I've been here all my life, I was with the Steelers in the junior ranks and this is where all my family and friends are. I'd love to stay here and be a one-club player but if that doesn't happen then it doesn't happen."
Gorrell was only awarded a small full-time playing contract last January after the Dragons originally left him out of their plans for 2006.
Then back in June chief executive Peter Doust and coach Nathan Brown informed Gorrell they intended to sign Woolford, meaning he was free to negotiate with rival clubs.
A couple of Sydney clubs registered interest but since then have altered their stance.
Intent on staying at the Dragons, Doust is currently in the process of putting together a small contract proposal, including an element of part-time work for St George Illawarra, next season.
"We told Goz a while ago we probably couldn't make him an offer to be part of our full-time, full-scale squad," Doust said. "That being the case, he was given permission to go out and see what sort of interest he could attract elsewhere.
"He came back to us and indicated he would like to stay, so since then we've been exploring alternate options, including some form of part-time employment next season."
Gorrell's resume this season makes compelling reading.
He scored a crucial try against the Brisbane in round four, nailed the match-winning sideline conversion against them in round 15, and just last weekend powered over for another pivotal try in the opening week of the finals
.</H2>http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20400265-23214,00.html

We could and have done and do worse.

beekershark

Bench
Someone tell him that if he was a steelers junior, then he wont be a " one club" player.

he's part of a relatively young joint venture now, a club that like us, hasnt won a cup :)

Macca

Coach
Once again, someone would have to be released. We have met our quota of players.

squiddy

Juniors
Macca said:
Once again, someone would have to be released. We have met our quota of players.

I could think of one or two we could release ?

But I agree I reckon we should if we can snap up Gorrel

Macca

Coach
The club won't release Gallen. They better bloody not anyway.

Dykes is a big chance though apparently.

Would you swap Dykes for Gorrell?

carcharias

Immortal
yep..if Dykes did go.
Gorrel can kick goals and score try's ...in the top 3 tacklers in the NRL this year.

THats 3 things both of our halves put together can't seem to do very well this year.

Thomo.

First Grade
see this is where you and i are different Nulla#2:sarcasm: . i don't mind him. he's got ability.

squiddy

Juniors
Macca said:
The club won't release Gallen. They better bloody not anyway.

Dykes is a big chance though apparently.

Would you swap Dykes for Gorrell?

Definitely - and I am a bit of a dykes fan ( I said a bit)

Dykes is almost up to his use by date where as Gorrle is a great utility and still quite young

island pro

Juniors
I've been pro Gorell for 3 seasons, was stuck as the PL captain for ages. Great defence AND can ball-play, not seen too often really. Great hooker and handy in the halves, as a back-up at the very least. Saw him play a game at 5/8th for the Dragons last year because of injuries mid game and he actually impressed me a great deal, was very probing and creative, putting a number of players into holes and the like.

Obviously a handy player... but are the sharks going to make a sensible, potentially club-building decision? I think not, even if Dykes leaves.