What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huge wrap on Parramatta Eels' 17-year-old Bevan French

TheRam

Coach
What if we finish 5th and then go on to win the title?
Would it still be average?

Obviously it would be the best ever result. The point is as you obviously know, but you're being a smart arse no doubt, if we just manage to make the 8 but have little impact when there, then it is an ok result on one level but a failure on another.

Point being we are still in a building phase and therefore should of recruited Hayne, arguably the best player in the game. But if we make the top 4 and play like a top 4 team, generally most top 4 teams aren't in a rebuilding phase, any one of those teams could win it on their day, but just tinker around the edges here and there.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
..and the Telecrap leaving us alone for a while.

EDIT: Yeah I know, hell freezes over etc.

You do realise that the papers attacking us relentlessly as unwanted and painful to see and read, is a big chunk of why we are now free of all those idiots formerly around the club. Do I like the media? No!

But there greed for a sensational headline has, I think, hastened our liberty from amateur hour. Did those fools running our club bring it on themselves? Of course they did. Would they have been booted out anyway? Sure, but would we have gotten where we are now so quickly? Probably doubtful.

But because of the intense scrutiny by all the media on the club, the government was forced to step in and as the the old saying goes, the rest is history.

We are now finally seeing some blue sky and it should be very soon that the sun shines bright on our much loved but battered club.

By the way, winning consistently is the real key to staying out of the media's cross hairs. Nothing short of that, especially for a club like ours, will tame that ugly beast.

emjaycee

Coach
Obviously it would be the best ever result. The point is as you obviously know, but you're being a smart arse no doubt, if we just manage to make the 8 but have little impact when there, then it is an ok result on one level but a failure on another.

Point being we are still in a building phase and therefore should of recruited Hayne, arguably the best player in the game. But if we make the top 4 and play like a top 4 team, generally most top 4 teams aren't in a rebuilding phase, any one of those teams could win it on their day, but just tinker around the edges here and there.
I was being a smartarse, but at the same time I think you are being a little bit simplistic in the focus you are putting onto finishing in the top 4. Both of last years Grand Finalists are outside the 4 and likely to finish that way.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How would recruiting Hayne help our rebuilding? We need a halfback, a hooker and some middle forwards. Not another fullback.

phantom eel

First Grade
Lol at Ram arguing we should have re-signed Hayne.... When has Hayne's presence ever landed a team in the top four of the ladder?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
n00bs will be asking what ever happened to that hineyrulz guy and we'll say he got stabbed to death by a bloke called Scoopdog because of shit he said about Tyrell Fuimaono and they'll be like "Tyrell Fuimaono? The dude who plays on the wing for Norths?"

hindy111

Post Whore
What rams saying is a lot of BA signings have been a disaster. Count our chickens we dodged watmough.Imagine paying gjm for 2 more seasons. Foran even if played well was never a million dollar player.With or without tpas and jennings seems to be having and average season.

I think BA gets a lot out of his players but thus far his best signings have been Gutherson gower and Scott.

The big 3 havent delivered. I do like the style of players BA recruits thou.All tough style.
Ricky made mistakes as a coach and bow his recruiting is top shelf. He was one who landed Norman and peats

hineyrulz

Post Whore
n00bs will be asking what ever happened to that hineyrulz guy and we'll say he got stabbed to death by a bloke called Scoopdog because of shit he said about Tyrell Fuimaono and they'll be like "Tyrell Fuimaono? The dude who plays on the wing for Norths?"
By the sounds of it he wants to stab me, just not with a knife.

Gronk

Staff member
Rookie Bevan French looms as the player to lead Eels into the future
9e51dbbc1a11c8fd78327ce525c44c06

MATT LOGUE, The Daily Telegraph
August 30, 2016 7:08pm

9e51dbbc1a11c8fd78327ce525c44c06

HE’S the $20,000 rookie on the verge of eclipsing Jarryd Hayne’s debut season tryscoring mark.

Such has been Bevan French’s rise in 2016, the 20-year-old has tripled his pay packet for the season on the back of playing incentives in his modest contract.

While Parramatta’s $1.2 million former favourite son Hayne snubbed the Blue and Golds for the Gold Coast in his NRL return, French looms as the player to lead the club into the future.

And after Monday night’s hat-trick against St George Illawarra, French has 16 four-pointers and now requires just two more to surpass Hayne’s tryscoring mark from his 2006 debut year.

Of the NRL’s top tryscorers, French has a league-best strike rate of 1.33 a game, ahead of Hayne’s 17 in 16 games a decade ago.

Not bad for a baby-faced fullback that started the year on an under-20s sign-on contract worth about $20,000.

Now, thanks to contract incentives for his NRL heroics he is set to finish the year collecting upwards of $75,000 before going into 2017 on a six-figure sum.

“We are not trying to put too much pressure or hype on Bevan and let him just grow into the player we all know he can be,” Eels captain Tim Mannah said.

608a8e77bca527953cb175a7187228b8

Bevan French has scored 16 tries in his debut season for the Eels. Picture: Mark Evans
French’s earnings from this season include match payments from his 12 NRL games, 14 weeks of pre-season training and a sponsorship deal with shoe company Blades.

French also has contract incentives for games played and salary cap increases, which will ensure his value continues to rise.

The Tingha flyer is also in line to become the Eels’ long-term fullback with his management keen to lock him in beyond his 2018 deal.

Parramatta legend Peter Wynn admitted he wanted Hayne to return to the Eels, but couldn’t be happier with French’s arrival on the NRL stage.

“You know the old saying, one door shuts and another one opens,” Wynn told The Daily Telegraph.

“I thought Jarryd was going to be the light on the horizon and he was going to put everything back into perspective for Eels fans.

“It didn’t happen, but French has come from nowhere to leave his own little signature on the Parramatta Eels.”

cabb34fdb407e8c0b68a8ca6c98eaed5

Bevan French scored a hat-trick against the Dragons on Monday night.
Wynn says French’s on-field exploits have already translated to jumper sales in his store, Peter Wynn Score in the heart of Parramatta.

“He is popular,” he said.

“I’ve had a few people come in and order a jumper with French on the back.

“Mainly country folk who come down from the bush, but he has made a huge impact and a lot of people are talking about him.

“What he has done this season has been amazing.

“That try he scored from the kick back on the inside against the Dragons on Monday was as good as I’ve seen in recent times.

“He exploded on to the ball — I thought that was pretty amazing.

“Parramatta fans love to be entertained and this kid will do that without too much trouble I can you.”

50291a376ff959d515a62f212ee61d6f

Bevan French’s try-scoring exploits have been a boost for Eels fans.
Mannah believed hard work and a willingness to learn was the key to French’s success this season.

“Bevan has shown that in any professional sport hard work leads to success,” Mannah said.

“He still has things he needs to work on, but the pleasing thing is he has got a good attitude to want to be better.

“Bevan is a smart footy player and he knows how to read games and plays really well.

“As much turmoil as there has been this year, I think there have been great opportunities for young players to really put their hands up.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/9e51dbbc1a11c8fd78327ce525c44c06

Happy MEel

First Grade
That is a seriously impressive highlights package. French had work to do in nearly all of those tries which makes it even more astounding. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he will play origin before Turbo Tom.

Gronk

Staff member
Worried that Tingha might still be in QLD. Have they fixed that map yet ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think French will have a brilliant career as an NRL fullback but with Trbojevic's size he will play Origin first, if only because he's better suited than French to the wing.

oldmancraigy

Coach
So is this Bevan French kid ever going to play first grade? He's getting wraps deluxe, you reckon he'll be any good??