What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt has asked for a release

SHOULD BEN HUNT BE MOVED ON BEFORE THE 2024 SEASON?

• Yes

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rasaint

Juniors
I’m pretty balanced and see both sides of the coin with Ben Hunt.

All of us have lamented the poor recruitment of the last 4-5 years. Nathan Cleary, Adam Reynolds, Cooper Cronk etc all would fail I reckon with the team we have been putting on the park since 2018. Cooper Cronk had the might of Melbourne and Roosters with him all his career. Of course, he was top level but oh boy it would be wonderful to have other top class players around you year in yearout.

In 2018, we had a power pack Graham, Frizzell, Au Mau, Tariq, Debelin etc. speed in the backs with Widdop ( never seen him run down even over 95 metre intercepts) big Nene ( very quick) Duffy ( high end speed). Injuries to Tariq and Widdop crueler us in the South’s narrow mayor semi loss. Ben Hunt was terrific because he had the support of terrific players around him. Thereafter, the roster diminished markedly.

OK I don’t know all the circumstances of Ben Hunt’s situation, any undertakings by the club or whatever else. All I know is that Ben is here 2024 and is a very good player. Flanno wants him as half back. Let’s see what happens.

SBD82

Coach
you're statement was

"just like I predicted that we will never win a comp with our million-dollar (C)Hunt right from the start"

I didn’t say that mate. You have me confused with someone else

i then asked you what half back would have won us a comp and you responded Cronk but only if we added more quality

No I didn’t. I said that if we had Cronk for 6 years he would have enhanced the players around him and attracted players. Hunt has failed in both areas.

so you select one of the greatest half backs of the modern era, if not all time, then add that he would need quality additions to the squad

You suggested him. I just rolled with it

I get you dont like Hunt but at least compare apples with apples.

I think I am. You’re trying to look at Hunt as a snapshot of a season. I’m looking at it across the 6 years that he has been our marquee player. It was a very poor signing.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hunt pushing for Hook to be extended clearly shows how much he is to blame for a lot of the poor decisions. I know a lot of players would back their coach during a period like that but once the club pulls the trigger they should just move on not carry on like a pork chop and try to damage the clubs moral, culture and reputation like he is.

Big Tino and Fafita, they liked Holbrook and there were talks that they would lose them as their was actually a clause in their contracts to move on if Holbrook is sacked. A month or so later they re-sign and it's happy days. That is what you would expect from our captain only difference is he re-signed 6 months before Hook was sacked which he was more or less aware would be a huge possibility as Saints did not want to insert a clause with relation to Hook. To me that shows deceit as he pushed for Hook to re-sign then if Hook re-signs he got his mate a job for the next couple of years whilst he then asks for a release regardless. That is if he is really is missing Qld. He would have known back in Oct how homesick he is not wait 6 months later.

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
Hunt pushing for Hook to be extended clearly shows how much he is to blame for a lot of the poor decisions. I know a lot of players would back their coach during a period like that but once the club pulls the trigger they should just move on not carry on like a pork chop and try to damage the clubs moral, culture and reputation like he is.

Big Tino and Fafita, they liked Holbrook and there were talks that they would lose them as their was actually a clause in their contracts to move on if Holbrook is sacked. A month or so later they re-sign and it's happy days. That is what you would expect from our captain only difference is he re-signed 6 months before Hook was sacked which he was more or less aware would be a huge possibility as Saints did not want to insert a clause with relation to Hook. To me that shows deceit as he pushed for Hook to re-sign then if Hook re-signs he got his mate a job for the next couple of years whilst he then asks for a release regardless. That is is he is really missing Qld. He would have known back in Oct how homesick he is not wait 6 months later.
As a matter of fact Slippery, both of them used that clause to negotiate a better deal, well orchestrated by their managers and the media. All of us knew they weren't going anywhere, all the top line players use it to bump up their price and remain at the same club.