What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunter Mariner Revival

LeagueLegend

Juniors
katestar676 said:
I remember getting free tickets in the mail every time they played but never went. Also if you joined the kids club thing you got a free playstation or x-box one of my friends from school joined.

What a load of crap. From memory we didn't have a kids club and X-Box wasn't invented then!!

LeagueLegend

Juniors
Nuke said:
I loved reading every article about the Mariners hatred in Newcastle. All the ones about bomb threats, rocks being thrown through their office windows, ect. It's never been in my nature to do so, but I would have loved to have joined the rock-throwing brigade! Geez I hated them!

Nuke, think of it this way. If your mum, dad, brother or sister were on the receiving end would it be the same?? They were people going about their daily life and being threatned. Makes you real man doesn't it??

I enjoyed my time with the club, despite the bogan aspect of those trying to end us. At the end of the day it's footy. The crazy thing about it all was that most of have gone on to bigger and better things in the ARL and NRL - we can't have been that bad!!

eels_fan_01

Bench
I think threating them is pretty stupid and extreme.

The best thing to make them go away is to ignore them.

t-ba

Post Whore
LeagueLegend said:
Nuke, think of it this way. If your mum, dad, brother or sister were on the receiving end would it be the same?? They were people going about their daily life and being threatned. Makes you real man doesn't it??

I enjoyed my time with the club, despite the bogan aspect of those trying to end us. At the end of the day it's footy. The crazy thing about it all was that most of have gone on to bigger and better things in the ARL and NRL - we can't have been that bad!!

I can't help but thinking how better a club the Knights would have been if they had some of the Mariners management talent...

Not that it's hard to be better run than the Knights or anything.

sydraider

First Grade
roopy said:
A girl i knew at the time told me she went to a game and when i mocked her for it she said they got free tickets and about $50 worth of free stuff.

Lmao the irony, you knights fans make me laugh so hard.

You turds were but a mere few hours away from being a super league club. if there were no hiccups in brisbane you guys were as good as gone and there wouldnt have ever been a hunter mariners side.

What prevented this?

Well lets see, The Chief copping a Mil contract? then decides with all the integrity he has to hire a mini bus and cart all the players down to sign with the arl.

Holier than thou indeed!

eels_fan_01

Bench
Majority of the Knights fans are a bunch of teeny booper surf chicks who think Andrew Johns is "hot". 13 year old girls who arent hot basically so i cant understand why they gave a sh*t anyway.

BigSteveo

Juniors
I dont know whether it was there before the Mariners were introduced but I remembered going to a couple Breakers games around that time to see a boat dug into the hill. What was that all about? Was it put there just for the Mariners?

LeagueLegend

Juniors
eels_fan_01 said:
Majority of the Knights fans are a bunch of teeny booper surf chicks who think Andrew Johns is "hot". 13 year old girls who arent hot basically so i cant understand why they gave a sh*t anyway.

I'm not sure if they are that now but at the time the most outspoken were the seniors. They had all come from a union background having worked in the mines, steelworks, shipyard - all those things Newcastle used to be.

I went back up there after Christmas (apart from when I go to the game when we play the Knights) and the whole place has changed a lot. Gone are the eye-sores that surrounded the harbour, now in their place commercial and residential apartments. I recently saw photos of the Newcastle Hospital starting to be demolished. Aahh, those were the days!!

macavity

Referee
eels_fan_01 said:

and the majority of eels fans are crack head whores.

your point?

macavity

Referee
sydraider said:
Lmao the irony, you knights fans make me laugh so hard.

You turds were but a mere few hours away from being a super league club. if there were no hiccups in brisbane you guys were as good as gone and there wouldnt have ever been a hunter mariners side.

if the Knights went to SL they would have lost the support of the town, turdburglar.

LeagueLegend

Juniors
macavity said:
if the Knights went to SL they would have lost the support of the town, turdburglar.

Instead Rupert still got what he wanted and your beloved Knights are a part of it and receive Ruperts tainted money from the Fox television deal.

macavity

Referee
LeagueLegend said:
Instead Rupert still got what he wanted and your beloved Knights are a part of it and receive Ruperts tainted money from the Fox television deal.

I know. :(

We would be the undisputed #1 sport in Oz if it wasn't for f'n Rupert and Sewer League.

LeagueLegend

Juniors
Doubt it. We wouldn't have had a deal with a Pay TV operator (Optus Vision was a great success - NOT!) and probably be resigned to having 2 games shown each week - 1 on ABC and the other on Channel 10 with the Moose!!

macavity

Referee
LeagueLegend said:
Doubt it. We wouldn't have had a deal with a Pay TV operator (Optus Vision was a great success - NOT!) and probably be resigned to having 2 games shown each week - 1 on ABC and the other on Channel 10 with the Moose!!

said like a true (deluded) believer in the "vision"

Fox needed us more than we needed them. so much infact that they started their own comp when they didnt get their way.

we were on the up and up - the late 80's / early 90's league was booming. that boom was only geniused by the geniuss that bought into the b.s. SL vision.

if we were in control of our own destiny we would still have a perth team, Sydney would have reduced by natural attrition, we would have a CC team, probably 2 Bris teams.... and we would be making much much more from our Pay TV contract than we are now. to argue otherwise is facetious.

I realise they paid your wages there for a while, but that doesn't mean you have to suspend disbelief forever.

LeagueLegend

Juniors
macavity said:
said like a true (deluded) believer in the "vision"

Fox needed us more than we needed them. so much infact that they started their own comp when they didnt get their way.

we were on the up and up - the late 80's / early 90's league was booming. that boom was only geniused by the geniuss that bought into the b.s. SL vision.

if we were in control of our own destiny we would still have a perth team, Sydney would have reduced by natural attrition, we would have a CC team, probably 2 Bris teams.... and we would be making much much more from our Pay TV contract than we are now. to argue otherwise is facetious.

I realise they paid your wages there for a while, but that doesn't mean you have to suspend disbelief forever.

I say that as of today not back in 1997. Having been SL, ARL & NRL I'm acutely aware of our situation. There have been many opportunitiers for our game that we have either missed, under utilised or have sceured and bled it for every last drop of life it contained.

The thing that really bugs me about this industry is that every one is a NRL, everyone can negotiate a TV deal, everyone is something that they believe the NRL/ARL/NSWRL/CRL isn't. If it was that easy we'd all have jobs in league.

macavity

Referee
LeagueLegend said:
The thing that really bugs me about this industry is that every one is a NRL, everyone can negotiate a TV deal, everyone is something that they believe the NRL/ARL/NSWRL/CRL isn't. If it was that easy we'd all have jobs in league.

can see what you are saying.

at the end of the day though, I think most while it often comes out that way, people are not neccessarily complaining about ineptitude - Gallop, for example, is an obviously competent guy - what they are complaining about is conflict of interest.

For the people doing the negotiating to be the same people on, or formerly on, the payroll of the pay broadcaster we go cap-in-hand to every few years.... does not bode well for our prospects of a good deal.