What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hypocritical bullsh*t from Cam Smith

The Colonel

Immortal
I made up a team of all the juniors we developed who are playing for other clubs this season:

1. Wade Mckinnon - St Clair (Penrith)
3. Jamie Lyon - Wee Waa
4. Willie Tonga - Qld
7. Tim Smith - Qld
8. Joel Clinton - Riverstone (Penrith)
9 P.J Marsh - Mackay Cutters
12. Andrew Ryan - Dubbo
14. Ashley Graham - signed from Nth Qld Development Squad
16. Luke O'Dwyer - Tweed Heads
17. Richard Fa'asoso - has played first grade at the Roosters and ESL before joing Eels.
19. James Maloney - North Sydney Bears
22. Ben Farrah - Newcastle HM Squad
23. Jack Afamasaga - New Zealand

They may have all played in our lower grades but they aren't "our" juniors as such - some the club signed directly from their junior area or they have come from other development programs like Graham and Farrar.

Fa'aoso started at the Roosters and played first grade for them before going overseas.

Binga

Juniors
They may have all played in our lower grades but they aren't "our" juniors as such - some the club signed directly from their junior area or they have come from other development programs like Graham and Farrar.

Fa'aoso started at the Roosters and played first grade for them before going overseas.

I'm not talking about where they grew up, im talking about which NRL club took the time and money to develop them. after all this is what smith is refering to as that young winger, Israel and Will Chambers are all from QLD.

Last edited:

AlexTheEel

Juniors

Fa'aoso was from the panthers not the roosters. He joined the roosters after playing first grade.

The Colonel

Immortal
Fa'aoso was from the panthers not the roosters. He joined the roosters after playing first grade.

Thanks for that, I knew there was another team involved in there somewhere but couldn't remember.

Binga said:
I'm not talking about where they grew up, im talking about which NRL club took the time and money to develop them. after all this is what smith is refering to as that young winger is from QLD as well.

It isn't a case of where they grew up. Many of these players came through our junior system but some of those names you mention were developed by other clubs before we had even signed them.

Binga

Juniors
Thanks for that, I knew there was another team involved in there somewhere but couldn't remember.

It isn't a case of where they grew up. Many of these players came through our junior system but some of those names you mention were developed by other clubs before we had even signed them.

Ok fair enough, obviously i have a different definition of what consititutes a junior. When i classify a junior I think about which NRL club has developed that player through the grades to play first grade. But anyway I wasn't aware of Fa'asoso or Farrah which i just assumed as his dad used to be my soccer coach and Ben was our ballboy when i used to live in Greystanes.

caylo

Bench
I made up a team of all the juniors we developed who are playing for other clubs this season:

1. Wade Mckinnon
2. David Williams
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Willie Tonga
5. John Williams
6. Blake Green
7. Tim Smith
8. Joel Clinton
9 P.J Marsh
10. Michael Hodgson
11. Paul Gallen
12. Andrew Ryan
13. Zeb Taia

14. Ashley Graham
15. Brett Delaney
16. Luke O'Dwyer
17. Richard Fa'asoso
18. Tony Williams
19. James Maloney
20. Kane Cleal
21. Michael Witt
22. Ben Farrah
23. Jack Afamasaga
24. Trent Hodkison

The guys that bar in bold where brought up throu jnr ranks from a young age and the club put most of them through scolarships in school and paid for housing etc. These guys are all can all be considered parramatta jnr then Tomane can be considered a Melbourne jnr.

Guys like Falou also grew up in cambeltown area, playing in jnr teams with a supported by Parramatta Eels. Falou is a young star but is no Melbourne jnr, but had he come through parramatta system would be considered a local jnr... go figure.

and how many of our juniors have been poached away by other clubs in the last few years? more than i can fkn count but as soon as someone dares touch a storm player its a disaster!
:crazy::roll::BDH:

El Diablo

Post Whore
and how many of our juniors have been poached away by other clubs in the last few years? more than i can fkn count but as soon as someone dares touch a storm player its a disaster!
:crazy::roll::BDH:

the worst thing is that Melbourne are yet to produce 1 local junior

spiderdan

Bench
yeah fair enough we will benefit from all the resources put into poore and shackleton but big deal. while i feel for the dragons as they produce as many good players as us i am not pissed off about poaching him. it's been the first time in a while our club has actually bought players.

i few years back i went through the nrl team lists one weekend. i found from memory 31 players that we had let go playing for other sides and of those more than half were from our junior ranks.

i don't think the storm can say the same thing. seriously, if anyone bags parra, saints, knights or panthers for buying a few players here and there they are kidding themselves considering how much each of those clubs puts into developing players.

lingard

Coach
Very good article. I agree with his sentiments. Obviously he picked a bad example when he talked about Parramatta - because we are one of the clubs that it happens to the most. But good article.

slippery_sucker

Juniors
gees big call by Cam Smith if what he is say came true... Melbourne would be 2million over the cap and no juniors to step up lol...

Parra Guru

Coach
WTF. This guy is a whinger. Considering the choice of QLD talent is really only split between 4 clubs, including the Storm, compared to the rat race of scouting in sydney!!!

If the Reds wanted that player, and he was dollar driven they were always going to get him.

And I'm sure Dragon's fans are disappointed about losing JP, but with the quality of their recruitment I'm sure they'd take that loss over their great form and ownership of the whole South Coast. If we had no salary cap, and played purely with our own junior retention, St George Illawarra would win the comp every year hand down. They keep churning out props, Ryles, Bailey, Kite etc. When Poore leaves there will be another monster waiting in the wings to fill his spot.

Cam Smith should keep his trap shut. Perhaps he should focus more on why the Storm are only 1 from 3 in the last 3 GF's with all their talent!

caylo

Bench
WTF. This guy is a whinger. Considering the choice of QLD talent is really only split between 4 clubs, including the Storm, compared to the rat race of scouting in sydney!!!

If the Reds wanted that player, and he was dollar driven they were always going to get him.

And I'm sure Dragon's fans are disappointed about losing JP, but with the quality of their recruitment I'm sure they'd take that loss over their great form and ownership of the whole South Coast. If we had no salary cap, and played purely with our own junior retention, St George Illawarra would win the comp every year hand down. They keep churning out props, Ryles, Bailey, Kite etc. When Poore leaves there will be another monster waiting in the wings to fill his spot.

Cam Smith should keep his trap shut. Perhaps he should focus more on why the Storm are only 1 from 3 in the last 3 GF's with all their talent!

If it was only local jnrs then we would have a a backline to the tune of

Hayne
Gardner
Inu
Falou (grew up in cambeltown and played footy with inu as a youngster)
Reddy
KK
T.Smith

That there would take you to so many GF and with the addition of players like MK, Mitchell, Cayless brothers etc

Latest posts