What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hypothetical 2017

BrotherJim05

Bench
Couldn't resist starting one of these. Below is my team for 2017 with the following hypothetical scenario (just for fun):
- Robbie leaves for Bunnies
- ET re-signs
- We are able to sign any two players reasonably priced players that are currently off contract for 2017

My starting 17:

1. Tedesco
2. Nofo
3. Naiqama
4. Simona
5. Mead (signing)
6. Moses
7. Brooks
8. Woods
9. Ballin
10. Sue
11. Lawrence
12. Aloai
13. ET

14. Rein (signing)
15. Grant
16. Ava
17. Edwards

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
1 - Tedesco
2 - Nofoaluma
3 - Opacic*
4 - Simona
5 - Naiqama
6 - Moses
7 - Brooks
8 - Woods
9 - Liddle
10 - Sue
11 - Lawrence
12 - Gillett*
13 - Taylor

14 - Aloiai
15 - Grant
16 - Seumanufagai
17 - Ballin

There's a few good cheap buys we coiuld make. Damian Cook and Hymel Hunt would be handy pick ups at reasonably low prices.

Fordy20

Juniors
1 - Tedesco
2 - Nofoaluma
3 - G Jennings (signing)
4 - Simona
5 - Gagan (signing)
6 - Moses
7 - Brooks
8 - Woods
9 - Ballin
10 - Grant
11 - Lawrence
12 - Aloiai
13 - Taylor

14 - Liddle
15 - Sue
16 - Seumanufagai
17 - Marsters

Tiger05

First Grade
1 - Tedesco
2 - Nofoaluma
3 - Naiqama
4 - Simona
5 - Semi Radradra - we need someone like this. JAC would be great if we could keep him.
6 - Moses
7 - Brooks
8 - Woods
9 - Liddle
10 - Grant
11 - Lawrence
12 - Sue
13 - Taylor

14 - Ava
15 - Felise
16 - Aloiai
17 - SIronen

I think we really just need a gun winger. That pack and bench looks great.

I prefer Sue up the middle but I think stuff it and play him on the edge because we have lots of good options up the middle.

I hope Liddle is good.

magpie guy

Juniors
1 - Tedesco
2 - Nofoaluma
3 - Chee Kam
4 - Simona
5 - Naiqama
6 - Moses
7 - Brooks
8 - Woods
9 - Ballin
10 - Grant
11 - Lawrence
12 - Aloiai
13 - Taylor

14 - Ava
15 - Sue
16 - Felise
17 - Liddle

I am assuming we lose JAC and make no signings.
We are short one centre, winger and second rower.
A gun right centre or right second row would really round out the team though. Either one would shore up the defence there. Madunit named Gillet and I think he would be perfect there.

simmo1

First Grade
Don't see the point in signing other club's nuffies like Rein, Cook etc. Surely we can back one of our 20s or fringe players to do as good a job.

If were going to make some signings, make sure they're quality. Gillett would be amazing.

BrotherJim05

Bench
1 - Tedesco
2 - Nofoaluma
3 - Chee Kam
4 - Simona
5 - Naiqama
6 - Moses
7 - Brooks
8 - Woods
9 - Ballin
10 - Grant
11 - Lawrence
12 - Aloiai
13 - Taylor

14 - Ava
15 - Sue
16 - Felise
17 - Liddle

I am assuming we lose JAC and make no signings.
We are short one centre, winger and second rower.
A gun right centre or right second row would really round out the team though. Either one would shore up the defence there. Madunit named Gillet and I think he would be perfect there.

Mate I think you have hit the nail on the head. This is probably very close to the likely starting 17 for 2017 (I think Sue will be starting though). To be honest, this isn't a bad team at all. Brooks and Moses will only be getting better and Liddle will build up his mins as he develops.
Only concern is Aloai and Lawrence's minutes. Lawrence is close to an 80 min back rower but Aloai is a long way off. That being said we would need to swap Felise for Lovett or Sironen

I like that backline magpie guy.

I have a few questions.

Who will be the goal kicker?
Who will be the backup kicker?
Who will be the defensive coach?
Will Sironen be sighted in 2017?

Qldtiger

Juniors
1. Tedesco
2. Nofo
3. Moga (signing)
4. Simona
5. Anderson (signing)
6. Moses
7. Brooks
8. Woods
9. Ballin
10. Sue
11. Lawrence
12. Aloai
13. ET

14. Papalii (signing)
15. Liddle
16. Ava
17. Felise

I know i have three signing but Carlin Anderson and Abraham Papalii would be cheap pick ups.

Tiger05

First Grade

I have a few questions.

I'll answer based on what we know now.

1. Rankin
2. Moses
3. Not sure
4. I think he will be

I think you are right with points 1 & 2 Tiger05, my question was based on the fact that no one had Rankin in their teams above and yet we all know that he is a favourite of the coach.

magpie guy

Juniors

I have a few questions.

Actually that's a good point. I honestly didn't think about goal kicking at all. That really is a huge issue for us. Are there any fast wingers or centres that can kick goals on the market?

Sironen for Felise or Liddle if he has improved any in state cup. Siro might even come into the side if ET is not retained. I honestly like Felise over Siro just for his size and ability to play prop or a bit wider, running at halves. We really only need 20-30 minutes from him a game to cover Aloiai having a rest.

TKO

Juniors
1 - Tedesco
2 - Nofoaluma
3 - Naiqama
4 - Simona
5 - Charlie Taylor
6 - Moses
7 - Brooks
8 - Woods
9 - Liddle
10 -Paul Vaughan
11 - Lawrence
12 - Sue
13 - E Taylor ( C Sironen )

14 - Wesley Lolo
15 - Grant
16 - Ava
17 - Felise

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't see the point in signing other club's nuffies like Rein, Cook etc. Surely we can back one of our 20s or fringe players to do as good a job.

If were going to make some signings, make sure they're quality. Gillett would be amazing.
Cook is no nuffie.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I know this is only a hypothetical thread but what isn't hypothetical is we have not made one signing for next year but lost some players I'd prefer to have kept so we can pretty much only expect the same outcome for 2017.

We need to increase our talent in a fair few positions. Over this year Brooks did enough to whet our appetite but nothing more. I didn't see enough over the past few months that made me think he is going to be any better than an average first grader. I'd rather see someone like Jeff Robson (purchased cheap) who can kick and make solid decisions at half and let Moses do all the running. Brooks is just too quiet and they can't blame Farah for his for the last month or so. Put simply, he isn't worth the money he is on.

We also need some big wide running second rowers. Marsters comes to mind or buy those who are. Ethan Lowe or Boyd Cordner style who can play for 80 minutes and can run off Moses. I reckon another top prop is needed to start the game with Woods. Let Sue come on from the bench and he can provide real impact. Ava and Grant are solid but not so much impact. We never seem to improve with them on, we hold our own but with Woods off we lose grunt.

My signings would be Melbourne's defensive coach and Des Hasler. As I said at the top, with Taylor still coach and no new cattle we can't possibly expect better results. Please, I hope I am proved wrong but this time next year I think I will still have that empty feeling in my gut.

I know we don't have any money to spend and the way they financed the Farah deal we are not going to get any in a hurry it would seem but we really need to buy size and impact and a half that is going to take the game by the balls and make me think he is worth the coin he is on. I know backs prosper on the go forward of their forwards but Brooks has not progressed like Moses so I'd be looking else where during 2017.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
Brooks has been playing broken.

We need a real quality centre and a 80 minute top-line backrower and/or no.9 if Liddle is not ready.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually, young Will Smith from the Panthers could become quite a decent goal kicker (he kicked 4 from 5 in a game in 2015) and quite skillfull with the ball in hand. Could make a transition into centre/wing

A hooker option could also be Kurt Baptiste

Nelson Asofa-Solomona and Abraham Papalii wouldn't bad pick ups either.