What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hypothetical - creating a Pro RL comp

adamkungl

Immortal
NZ's tough. Very small market. Even the top Union comp struggles to pull crowds.

I think... The NZRL should work with the ARLC (ie. demand fair funding) to position a top level NZ Rugby League alongside the NSW and QLD Cups in a revamped Bi-National Reserve Grade structure. In fact it's such a great idea I'm gonna post about it in the NRL forum :lol:

But basically NZ :

NRL level : Auckland Warriors and Southern Whatevers

Reserve grade level : NZ RL Conference.
9 teams incl Warriors Reserve, Southern Reserve. Participation fee to allow teams to pay competitive salaries with Aus 2nd tier comps, well promoted, aim for crowds of 1000-5000.

langpark

First Grade
The best thing about a French League going pro would be that we could watch top class RL all year round (assuming they don't switch to summer like the English did).

adamkungl

Immortal
A french league would surely be summer to avoid the Top14.

Top 14 runs August to June right? With a lot of higher level rep comps during breaks.

Bit tough to schedule a 12-20 week comp that entirely avoids Rugby Union in Europe. Not sure this should be a large consideration.

Schedule it to provide the greatest advantage to the French National team in major internationals and maximise international TV exposure

deal.with.it

Juniors
The best thing about a French League going pro would be that we could watch top class RL all year round (assuming they don't switch to summer like the English did).

The crazy thing is that a channel like SBS, GEM or 7Mate would get good viewing figures for broadcasting the french comp. That's without looking at Pay TV.

The French comp really needs to attract a couple of "Broadcast Sponsors" and use the money to pay a channel like 7 Mate or Gem to broadcast it, along with Premier Sports or Sky in the UK, Setanta in Asia.

Then in 3 years it's time to start offering it to the highest bidder.

u4er

Juniors
If I were a billionaire, I would start a comp on the West Coast of the US. At least the people in SF have some idea what rugby league is thanks to Hayne. The NFL offseason is 214 days so I would play my comp after the Super Bowl hype has died down. Start small with say 8 teams, such as:

1. San Francsico
2. Seattle
3. Portland
4. Oakland
5. Los Angeles
6. San Diego
7. Vancouver
8. Sacramento

16 round comp, play each team once Home and Away. Top 4 enter the prelim finals, then semi final, then grand final. I would bring over 8 coaches with NRL/SL experience, and have talent scouts look for players who just missed the NFL cut. Throw in a few established league players from back home as well. $100 million on each team, for staff, facilities etc etc and another $200 million on advertising and promotion, so let's say $1 billion or so. Money well spent.

langpark

First Grade
If I were a billionaire, I would start a comp on the West Coast of the US. At least the people in SF have some idea what rugby league is thanks to Hayne. The NFL offseason is 214 days so I would play my comp after the Super Bowl hype has died down. Start small with say 8 teams, such as:

1. San Francsico
2. Seattle
3. Portland
4. Oakland
5. Los Angeles
6. San Diego
7. Vancouver
8. Sacramento

16 round comp, play each team once Home and Away. Top 4 enter the prelim finals, then semi final, then grand final. I would bring over 8 coaches with NRL/SL experience, and have talent scouts look for players who just missed the NFL cut. Throw in a few established league players from back home as well. $100 million on each team, for staff, facilities etc etc and another $200 million on advertising and promotion, so let's say $1 billion or so. Money well spent.
You mean a 14-round comp...

Throw in two Canadian teams and have a nice round number of 10.

Bovrick

Juniors
You mean a 14-round comp...

Throw in two Canadian teams and have a nice round number of 10.

Don't know about you but I'd consider Vancouver to be pretty Canadian ;) unless u4er meant doubling up on Portland I guess.

I do like the idea of breaking up the US as somewhere to target. There's no need to go all out on a national comp, it's like targeting Europe as a whole. Nobody would consider that realistically.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
It is actually quite a good idea. A cunning idea.

- No harsh NE winter
- Sufficiently large population and money on the west coast
- Frequent derby games are quite doable and would be somewhat unique to the league
- Foster growth of a competiting East Coast Rugby League, possible "origin" opponent.
- Relatively easy access for touring Pacific Islands.

There is also the historical fact that California enquired about playing league but a response from the authorities never made it out there.

adamkungl

Immortal

1. San Francsico
2. Seattle
3. Portland
4. Oakland
5. Los Angeles
6. San Diego
7. Vancouver
8. Sacramento

Sounds like a cash black-hole. I'm more in favour of starting small and growing from there.

u4er

Juniors
Wow I had a few beers last night and my numbers were all over the place, but you get the idea. America has the population where if even a small percentage followed League it would still rival the numbers we get here in Australia. Give the Americans a similar yet different and appealing football product during the NFL offseason and they will lap it up. How can they not? They are only human, and rugby league is frickin awesome!

Latest posts