What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hypothetical: dead rubber and teams for the future

First off I'm not new to the forums- I had an account a fair while ago but I've forgotten it and now is the first time since that I've had the urge to post rather than just read.

Anyway heres the hypothetical situation: Queensland wins game 2 which makes game 3 a dead rubber. As a Queenslander I'd like to see some of the junior players show what they can do in a State of Origin match without having to make hard decisions when the senior players finally retire from origin.

NSW might prefer to just stick to what they've got for experience but if thats your oppinion you could still post what NSW team you would select (the current team but with your revisions).

If i was a Queensland selector, this would be the experimental team I would select for a dead rubber at Suncorp Stadium.

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Ash Graham
5. Israel Falau
6. Johnathon Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Steve Price
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petro Civoniceva
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Ashley Harrison
13. Dallas Johnson

14. Aaron Payne/ Nathan Friend
15. David Shillington
16. Dave Taylor (if he can increase his fitness)
17. Michael Luck

karmichael Hunt 18th man

My team has 6 debutants in it while being a list that could still win the game (especially at suncorp). Price and Civoniceva are still in it because i couldn't think of any more young replacements that wouldnt tip the balance too far towards inexperience. So what are everyone elses oppinions or team selections?

Last edited:

skeepe

Immortal
First off I'm not new to the forums- I had an account a fair while ago but I've forgotten it and now is the first time since that I've had the urge to post rather than just read.

Anyway heres the hypothetical situation: Queensland wins game 2 which makes game 3 a dead rubber. As a Queenslander I'd like to see some of the junior players show what they can do in a State of Origin match without having to make hard decisions when the senior players finally retire from origin.

NSW might prefer to just stick to what they've got for experience but if thats your oppinion you could still post what NSW team you would select (the current team but with your revisions).

If i was a Queensland selector, this would be the experimental team I would select for a dead rubber at Suncorp Stadium.

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Ash Graham
5. Israel Falau
6. Johnathon Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Steve Price
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petro Civoniceva
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Ashley Harrison
13. Dallas Johnson

14. Aaron Payne/ Nathan Friend
15. karmichael hunt
16. Dave Taylor (if he can increase his fitness)
17. Michael Luck

My team has 5 debutants in it while being a list that could still win the game (especially at suncorp). Price and Civoniceva are still in it because i couldn't think of any more young replacements that wouldnt tip the balance too far towards inexperience. So what are everyone elses oppinions or team selections?

1 prop on the bench? No Hannant? Taylor in before Shillington? Sheesh that's an awful team. Are you expecting one of Price and Civoniceva to play 80 minutes?

to be honest i had a bit of a mental block with the front rowers i mightve forgotten to mention that. :p as for shillington i haven't really seen him play but dave taylor if he can keep fit has plenty of potential in my oppinion. You're certainly right about the props thing though that shouldn't have slipped my mind. ill edit the team***

Last edited:

Charlie124

First Grade
I would NEVER want to see an experimental team unnecessarly given Origin jerseys. State of Origin should never be a time for experiments, if we go 2 nill up, those same players should be rewarded and selected to play in game 3. I think if you go handing out jerseys to players who havent earned them just because we've won the series already it just cheapens the jersey.

icewind

Juniors
f***n' oath charlie. Origin is no place for experimentation. The players either deserve to be there, or not.

And how does 1 game show if a player is not/good enough? Oh wait a minute.... you're not starting to think like a nsw selector are you? :shock:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
NSW team for Game Three to avoid a whitewash:

1. Kurt Gidley
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. David Williams
6. Jarrod Mullen
7. Jamie Soward
8. Michael Weyman
9. Michael Ennis
10. Brent Kite
11. Ben Creagh
12. Luke O'Donnell
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Robbie Farah
15. Justin Poore
16. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
17. Anthony Watmough

Lambretta

First Grade
Whilst I agree with Charlie on his point regarding messing around with winning formulas, you have to consider if Price is going to be playing prop much longer.

Has he announced if this year will be his last?

I would be tempted to start Hannant and place Price on the bench and give him reduced game time. Alternatively, start Hannant and have Shillington on the bench and rest Price - but this would only be if he's announced a retirement.

You keep your strongest squad and dont give the opposition any hope for next year by whitewashing them. You only make changes where needed and only if they benefit your team - not the opposition.

GB!

Juniors
i think you'll find matt ballin would be 1st choice hooker if cam smith was unavailable.
ballin was named in the original Qld squad, no friend or payne

Shorty

Staff member
^But Friend and Payne are better.

Um...this would never happen and SHOULD never happen ever in Origin.
If Queensland wins game II, then the same team needs to work hard for a whitewash - A white wash in the 4th consecutive year of dominance by the Maroons would be something that nobody would forget!

lifesgood

Juniors
Your Missing Ben Hannant
Put Him in instead of Price Or Civoneceiva who I think for both of em or at least one of them
this year will be their last year of origin
especially if QLD win the series

Mr Saab

Referee
I would NEVER want to see an experimental team unnecessarly given Origin jerseys. State of Origin should never be a time for experiments, if we go 2 nill up, those same players should be rewarded and selected to play in game 3. I think if you go handing out jerseys to players who havent earned them just because we've won the series already it just cheapens the jersey.

Very much agree. Origin is not bloody cricket whereby you have a "rotation" policy. Origin is a prestigious event and I cant imagine any player (well maybe Jamie Lyon) who would want to give up their spot.
If QLD win game 2 then they need to go for the jugular in game 3 and make it a year NO one forgets....just like with NSW in 2000.

Tommax25

Bench
NSW team for Game Three to avoid a whitewash:

1. Kurt Gidley
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. David Williams
6. Jarrod Mullen
7. Jamie Soward
8. Michael Weyman
9. Michael Ennis
10. Brent Kite
11. Ben Creagh
12. Luke O'Donnell
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Robbie Farah
15. Justin Poore
16. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
17. Anthony Watmough

Not a bad side there, but I would still have Farah over Ennis starting.

Dee

Juniors
I think Ben Hannant and Matt Scott will be QLD's future front row pairing after Price and Civ retire. Scott is improving every game he plays and has plenty to offer as a front rower, he continually makes the hard yards up the middle, and well Hannant has been getting better with every Origin performance he has been given.

but yeah, agree that Origin shouldn't be experimental. Gotta earn the jumper!

drake

First Grade
I think Ben Hannant and Matt Scott will be QLD's future front row pairing after Price and Civ retire. Scott is improving every game he plays and has plenty to offer as a front rower, he continually makes the hard yards up the middle, and well Hannant has been getting better with every Origin performance he has been given.

but yeah, agree that Origin shouldn't be experimental. Gotta earn the jumper!
Have you seen the NSW team? Or are you only talking about the moroons?

Charlie124

First Grade
Have you seen the NSW team? Or are you only talking about the moroons?

That might have been a joke but its a valid point you make. I think part of the problem with NSW selection policy is that the blue jersey isnt treated (by selectors) like a sacred honour that you have to earn over time, its just handed to whoever is playing well in the couple of weeks before the team is picked.
That is why you see vastly different NSW teams almost every year, its why players like Steve Turner, Jamie Lyon, James McAnus, Anthony Quinn, Terry Campese, Ben Cross, Anthony Tupou, Ben Hornby, Brett White etc... get jerseys. These are not the players who are going to lead NSW through a dominant period of success.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
That might have been a joke but its a valid point you make. I think part of the problem with NSW selection policy is that the blue jersey isnt treated (by selectors) like a sacred honour that you have to earn over time, its just handed to whoever is playing well in the couple of weeks before the team is picked.
That is why you see vastly different NSW teams almost every year, its why players like Steve Turner, Jamie Lyon, James McAnus, Anthony Quinn, Terry Campese, Ben Cross, Anthony Tupou, Ben Hornby, Brett White etc... get jerseys. These are not the players who are going to lead NSW through a dominant period of success.

Tupou has not played his last origin game. He will back in a few years if not sooner. He has great ball running potential.

NSW changed their outside backs even when they were winning. It went from Newcastle (Gidley, Tahu, Mad Dog(?)) outwide to St George ((Gasnier, Cooper) with Matt King) if I'm not mistaken.

Combinations win origin. Not players. Look at the Storms impact on QLD sucess. Smith, Crocker, Folau, Slater, Inglis, even Bell. Sure Thurston is great - but he isn't the only reason qld score more points than NSW.

Look to Brisbane's influence in the years gone by.

NSW when under Gould's influence had Roosters, Newcastle and Bulldogs policy. It worked.

This year we can see a Manly influence in the team. Bit pointless without Orford if you ask me. But we shall see. Would have liked to have seen a St George combination this year. Cooper, B Moz, Hornby and Soward with Creagh would be more of a threat.

hellteam

First Grade
Tupou has not played his last origin game. He will back in a few years if not sooner. He has great ball running potential.

NSW changed their outside backs even when they were winning. It went from Newcastle (Gidley, Tahu, Mad Dog(?)) outwide to St George ((Gasnier, Cooper) with Matt King) if I'm not mistaken.

Combinations win origin. Not players. Look at the Storms impact on QLD sucess. Smith, Crocker, Folau, Slater, Inglis, even Bell. Sure Thurston is great - but he isn't the only reason qld score more points than NSW.

Look to Brisbane's influence in the years gone by.

NSW when under Gould's influence had Roosters, Newcastle and Bulldogs policy. It worked.

This year we can see a Manly influence in the team. Bit pointless without Orford if you ask me. But we shall see. Would have liked to have seen a St George combination this year. Cooper, B Moz, Hornby and Soward with Creagh would be more of a threat.

Well said. Definitely agree with what you're saying here (except for maybe Tupou). I've always thought QLD has a little advantage in that a lot of our players come from the same teams.

That Dragons combination would be tough to beat.

Latest posts