What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hypothetical

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
Just reading on the situation with manly apparently releasing Harris to free up extra cash in order to entice Orford to come to the dark side.

I was thinking if we were in the same situation as Manly (God Forbid), would you be happy to pay around $450 000 a season for a player that hasn’t played any rep footy, but not only has not he played rep footy if you watch his form over the last few final series, he hasn’t showed anything special to indicate that he is of that worth!

Your thoughts?

The Colonel

Immortal
Well in hindsight, I'm glad we didn't sign him last year. He hasn't showm me anything that makes me think he can play big match football. Tim is still young and has a way to go but I don't think it matters what sort of game it is - he just wants to play and he can get better.

Manly may get some good value from Orford but for mine it looks to be creating tension in the camp. Its reeks of the Kimmorley signing a couple of years ago.....

Hurriflatch

Referee
Another problem is that Manly have (reported salaries)

Monaghan - $240,000
Orford - $450,000
Bell - $250,000

Payed to players next year who haven't played any rep games. Thats a lot of money for the players in question, Bell might be close to that but Bell is already 29.

I just dont understand how they could be nearly over the cap when they have so many sh*t players who are not worth that much.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Jake the snake said:
I just dont understand how they could be nearly over the cap when they have so many sh*t players who are not worth that much.

Simply, they paid massive to get Brent Kite

One report had Kiote on $485,000 a year

and Kennedy on around $400,000

Add to that the 3 mentioned above and it gets close to the cap

The Colonel

Immortal
Kite and Kennedy received payments from the 2004 salary cap. Manly were well under and used the gap they had to give them one off payments up front and then a reduced contract amount. The deal may be worth 1.2 million over a few years but they may have received 300-400 of that already in last years cap.

The NRL closed the gap by saying clubs had to spend at least 3 million of their salary cap each year to stop clubs from loading the cap for a particular year.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he has had a pretty ordinary year, he aint worth what they have offered him

fish eel

Immortal
Orford goes missing in the big games.

Still, they need to do something because they're gonna miss the top 8 this year!

Avenger

Immortal
I agree I cannot see them making it. However I just saw saints run home and I think they too will miss out.

Macca_

Coach
Orford is the kind of 7 that needs a good partner in crime (ie Hill). When it's left to him to run a show he doesn't have that extra to step up IMO. But put him with a quality number 6 he can be great for a side.

Manly don't have a quality number 6... Can't see them doing much better with Orford...

Macca_

half

Coach
Aussiehurrikane said:
sharks may be even dumber than manly, signing a prop for $400,000 a year.
i don't believe that figure for a second. sounds about as fictional as the figures floating around about tahu and riddell last year

bartman

Immortal
Anything over 250K for a guy that hasn't played rep is a bit steep. Clubs should go for long term deals with incentives if they gain selection. If the player backs themselves they should be happy to accept.

Player-managers can shop around all they like, but if all clubs agreed to only make sensible offers, there'd be less rip-off merchant players holding clubs hotsage over ridiculous money deals.

Latest posts