What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I fear for 2009

forward pass

Coach
We should be okay next year apart from the fact that we have the worst CEO, the worst coach, worst defensive coach, worst captain, worst forward pack, worst conditioner, worst retention policy, worst recruitment policy.............................................

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
What I don't get is the lack of youthful enthusiasm. You'd think that some of these kids would be pumped to be playing FG NRL...

strider

Post Whore
What I don't get is the lack of youthful enthusiasm. You'd think that some of these kids would be pumped to be playing FG NRL...
i actually thought brod wright showed plenty last week - looked like he wanted to be in everything in his short run out there .... but no, back you go brod

slippery nipeel

Juniors
We should be okay next year apart from the fact that we have the worst CEO, the worst coach, worst defensive coach, worst captain, worst forward pack, worst conditioner, worst retention policy, worst recruitment policy.............................................

BUT ...... "We've come up against some teams that have played some pretty decent footy this year" - Thanks Hages the 'Cop-out Cowboy'

Daneel

Bench
BUT ...... "We've come up against some teams that have played some pretty decent footy this year" - Thanks Hages the 'Cop-out Cowboy'

I had a good laugh at that comment. I wonder hagan do teams lift to play us, or more likely do we play them into some form.

sooperdooper

First Grade
i fear for much more than 2009...
currently we have alot of stronger juniors at the club (the ones we have not let go)
they will start to leave (i mean continue to leave) with the sort of thing that is happening at our club.
Young guys dont want to play at a club in a condition like ours....

that is my fear, along with 2009 its the 2009-2012 that has me worried

Delboy

First Grade
One of the bigger issues we have to confront is funding, the model we have been using and was set up correctly at the time, has been smashed by Egan and Carr. The need to reinvent the club a la Manly or even the Tigers is rushing towards us , and that is a further reason you need a successful coach and team to pursue investors.

Talking to people it would seem that the juniors that can make a difference will be coming through in 2010, holding the line at best next year. Battle will be as Sooper suggested to retain the Kellys and the Auremi etc to form our next competitive side.

There is little doubt that Hagan cannot give us anything, and DF with his "been through this before" storyline is looking even more silly.

Unfortunately I can only follow one team, so need to continue to talk about these issues and hope that someone in authority gets the gonads to ensure the club goes forward in the correct manner.

spiderdan

Bench
Well we did a cleanout and went out bought a heap of players in 2001 and 2005 and did very well until the last hurdle, but we shouldve built up from those seasons.

So far we've bought nobody so unless theyve confidence in every player I fear 2009.

And if 2009 is the same as 2008 then its time for a complete cleanout starting with the CEO.
in 2001 - moodie, buettner, taylor and drew i think were the only players we bought. taylor was on his way out and drew was the 2nd string hooker at penrith. i don't think we bought a heap of players. not big name players anyway. our side was already on the way up in the last 10 weeks of 2000 as well.

fish eel

Immortal
One of the bigger issues we have to confront is funding, the model we have been using and was set up correctly at the time, has been smashed by Egan and Carr. The need to reinvent the club a la Manly or even the Tigers is rushing towards us , and that is a further reason you need a successful coach and team to pursue investors.

Talking to people it would seem that the juniors that can make a difference will be coming through in 2010, holding the line at best next year. Battle will be as Sooper suggested to retain the Kellys and the Auremi etc to form our next competitive side.

There is little doubt that Hagan cannot give us anything, and DF with his "been through this before" storyline is looking even more silly.

Unfortunately I can only follow one team, so need to continue to talk about these issues and hope that someone in authority gets the gonads to ensure the club goes forward in the correct manner.

Putting aside our differences on the tax, DF is dead wrong when he says we have been through this before.

The problem is, IMO, the game has moved on, especially for Sydney clubs, since the last time we were rubbish, and people like Fitzy havent moved with it.

bartman

Immortal
I've been very impressed with the form of the juniors, in terms of the U20s that I saw at the club after-match function. They look like a team, they look like they have fun together, and they look like they care about the club and want to be a part of it.

If most of the talent at that level and below will not be ready for first grade until 2010, I just hope that by then whatever has infected our first grade squad in the past year doesn't flow down and spoil the next lot too. I don't know whether it's just the coach and other staff (seemed to go alright last year), the influence of greedy player manager leeches (making the joy and thrill of performance a smaller part of the picture for young players coming through), some form of old-young split in firsts, or Finchy and Burt's apparentlly at fault for every single loss :lol:.

But it does come back to Denis reporting to his Board, if NRL success means anything to them at all, they have to act to sort the obvious problems, that also affect club revenue (gate, sponsorship, merchandise, membership) - especially when those things are now acknowledged as mnore important in the post-pokies era. Tingha Palace can't carry the leagues club for ever, it needs to eventually focus back on getting the leagues bit functioning well.

Haynzy

First Grade
I'm thinking that Sonny Bill has got to some of these blokes.
He bailed on league, seemingly jumping off a sinking ship, for better opportunities.

If that attitude is becoming more prevalent... not helped by a club CEO who doesn't see our club surviving the next five years, then I too am scared for the future not just of the Eels but the game as a whole.

swoop

Juniors

I think the reason is simple. You have signed 4 or 5 young guys on big contracts and they know there won't be any pressure coming from the lower grades. They look like they're just happy to collect the cash. Hagan is too scared to axe them and your CEO should be held accountable.

I look at the Eels team, and on paper, look to be a very good side. But when I've seen them play I wonder how your club has spent it's salary cap.

Just my opinion.

BTW Your team cost me a perfect tipping round.

bartman

Immortal
I think the reason is simple. You have signed 4 or 5 young guys on big contracts and they know there won't be any pressure coming from the lower grades.
:lol: Careful, you can be run out of town around here for having that opinion.

There's problems everywhere, and that undoubtedly is one of them, favouritism and protection aside.

Sorry about your tipping, but most of us stopped tipping them a month back - it's a better than 50% option that way. ;-)

Nikki

Coach
I am dead set worried that Fitzy will re appoint Hages to an extended contract..

Im worried about that too. And if its the case we can say goodbye to the club as a whole.. It will ruin us.. Then again, Dennis doesnt see us surviving past the next 5 years :-k

Eelectrica

Referee
Why fear it? We all know what's coming. Can't do much about it. Fitzy won't do anything about it except maybe shrug his shoulders and say 'That's life'
But Surely he won't extend Hagans contract unless Hagan offers to coach for free, even then the price is too high.

Latest posts