What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I hate draws.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
a draw is a result..

draws are great for regular season.. golden point should be left to finals only..

SEAT 1A

Bench
Some great ideas, well done guys. I like the idea of a point each at full time and an extra point for the team who can score a try in extra time.

Have a similar view of extra time possm. The game shouldn't finish straight away on kicking a field goal. If a field goal is kicked, you play out the full extra time.

If the other team is able to kick a field goal in the extra time period, one point each. If they can't they lose.

The only time the game should finish without the full extra time is a penalty goal or a try.

BigNormProvan

Juniors
I've never liked Golden Point/extra time. I'm happy with what has occured over 80mins. Finals would be a different matter.

With the situation we have in place now I would be happy with the winner of GPET getting 2 points and the loser getting 1. I do wish it was Golden Try Extra Time, you'd see some great footy.

Big Norm

blacklock

Juniors
i absolutely agree with some of the suggestions. a golden point try would be great. see...id take a loss if that was the case, but it just would feel more satisfying to come away from the game with more.

Taking away the field goal option would mean the playmakers are forced to create openings. Particularly important when you could tell how so many players looked a little tired the other night. Even hayne was stretching and didnt look so crisp. So the openings would be there...

Would be nice to see this changed or atleast put up for possible alterations.

You dont go to a great movie between a good and a bad guy to see them walk away without one side winning :D

Rebound

Juniors
Agree, i don't like Golden Point, apart from Rep/Test games, a Draw was always fitting given the evenness of the game.

You dont go to a great movie between a good and a bad guy to see them walk away without one side winning :D

Well it doesn't sound like such a great movie if it has a good guy and a bad guy.

No, I am satisfied with draws. I also have an appreciation for French new wave cinema.

Mr Red

First Grade
no one seems to like golden point - i wonder if this has anything to do with the boys on top of the ladder and being tired... and not really needing the 2 points????
imagine if we needed 2 points to make the finals in the last week of the comp and finished with 1 point from a draw with no golden point play to give the boys a chance of 2 points?
maybe then we would have a different opinion?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Another idea is if it's drawn at fulltime both team get a point, & whoever wins golden gets 2.

maybe make every game worth 4 points

4 points for a win in regular time

3 points for a GP win

2 points for a GP draw

1 point for a GP loss

fred95

Juniors
Have a similar view of extra time possm. The game shouldn't finish straight away on kicking a field goal. If a field goal is kicked, you play out the full extra time.

If the other team is able to kick a field goal in the extra time period, one point each. If they can't they lose.

The only time the game should finish without the full extra time is a penalty goal or a try.
There should be no extra time after a draw. the whole concept of golden point is all about extra gambing on the games.

blacklock

Juniors
no one seems to like golden point - i wonder if this has anything to do with the boys on top of the ladder and being tired... and not really needing the 2 points????
imagine if we needed 2 points to make the finals in the last week of the comp and finished with 1 point from a draw with no golden point play to give the boys a chance of 2 points?
maybe then we would have a different opinion?
I think its a bit of that. I also think...its a bit of people being afraid to go away from the game empty handed after the stakes being so high for so long. I guess im a little different.. i find it awesome and exhilarating to come away with a win in desperate circumstances.

Altho it wasnt golden point... i absolutely loved watching the prelims last year against the tigers where we won by 1 point.

I just dont get how anyone can walk away truly content with a draw hehe Like bennett mentioned in the conference (despite his disapproval of golden point to begin with) the NFL keeps playing till they get a result. I think if anything, thats when the better team will shine. When theyre pushed to their limits and we see which team can perform when it counts.

I dont believe its entirely luck either...a team makes their luck to get to a field goal or position to post a try.

In any case... i guess draws are rare to begin with. (but still..i feel like we missed out on seeing something special which would have added to the character of our club :) )

Fingerbang

Bench
The thing that gets me....the so called experts on both the footy show and roast today saying golden point is there because it is what the fans want. Are they really that out of touch with the fans?

Every forum I have seen on the net, I'd say the majority of fans say a draw is a result, and rather end the game after 80 minutes with a point for both teams. That point can be the difference in a team making the 8 or not. Sure, it is need for semis or Origin deciders, Test matches etc....but not for regular comp games.

Sterlo has changed his mind, and now believes it isn't needed for comp games. Just wish Gallop and co would listen to the fans and not just pretend they do.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'm willing to predict that the Golden Point for regular comp matches will be dumped within the next two seasons.

For me the worst part would be losing a player to injury during the extra time in a comp game when they are already fatigued and in many cases starting to cramp up.

I don't mind draws - it's still a point on the ladder.

If I had it my way there'd be no golden point. The teams get 80 minutes to win - if not, tough titties, you get 1 point. But if there must be extra time, I'd rather it was Golden Try - a field goal after so much effort feels cheap.

Agree on all points

Father Ted

First Grade
For me the worst part would be losing a player to injury during the extra time in a comp game when they are already fatigued and in many cases starting to cramp up.

AGREED if we lost a top liner for the season in the 89th minute you'd be spewing. Footy's 80 minutes imo a draw is a result

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well Bennett slammed it on similar grounds. He seriously questioned the need to see players from any team go through another 10 minutes. He makes a very good point. Other teams that round don't have to endure it, and it increases the possibility of injury by a fair percentage.

Golden Point. Put it in the garbage bin, along with all the other dumb ideas made up by bean counters who never played the game.

Tony Bongo

Bench
I usually hate draws but I loved this one.
I'm not a fan of extra time but those 10 extra minutes were the most exciting 10 minutes of the whole match. The majority of the crowd got to their feet and many of the normally subdued fans finally found their voices.
I consider this a game where you lost a point and we won one, when considering your team's current stance in the competition, even if we did have more than your measure for most of the match.