What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i remember

tresurehunt

Juniors
i remember going to Cumberland oval with mum and dad when i was a kid.
i remember in the back seat of dads car going through my scanlens footy cards
i remember waiting at the wire fence waiting to catch a glimpse of my favorite players
i remember when my coach made his debut from Guildford as our greatest ever five eight
i remember going back to the club after the game and in ore of the players
i remember when all our players had jobs as well as played footy
i remember catching the heavy brown ball behind the goal posts and throwing it back to the ball boy
i remember the great games through the eighties and attended the 86' grand final
i remember great players retiring and wondered who would replace them
i remember the lulls through the ninety's but still my team was the best ever
i remember how gutted i felt in the 98' final series "singing bring on the bronco's" behind the posts
i remember going to the games in the new millennium and how things started to change
i remember a team that struggled through the next years and going to the footy now took a quarter of my wage
i remember saying to my dad that ive never seen a player like hindmarsh since ray price
i remember calling my dad this morning telling him that our greatest player since ray price had called it quits

you see,ive been following this team like most of you since i was a kid, i am 43 years old and i still go to games with my dad
enjoy watching this guy hindmarsh go around in 2012 because these kind of players only come around only every 20 years or so .....

ethan tremblay

Juniors
could be the motivation we needed with hindy ,i watched he's media release and it was so raw so real i cryed i can admit it he bleeds blue and yellow just like all of us!

Gronk

Staff member
i remember going to Cumberland oval with mum and dad when i was a kid.
i remember in the back seat of dads car going through my scanlens footy cards
i remember waiting at the wire fence waiting to catch a glimpse of my favorite players
i remember when my coach made his debut from Guildford as our greatest ever five eight
i remember going back to the club after the game and in ore of the players
i remember when all our players had jobs as well as played footy
i remember catching the heavy brown ball behind the goal posts and throwing it back to the ball boy
i remember the great games through the eighties and attended the 86' grand final
i remember great players retiring and wondered who would replace them
i remember the lulls through the ninety's but still my team was the best ever
i remember how gutted i felt in the 98' final series "singing bring on the bronco's" behind the posts
i remember going to the games in the new millennium and how things started to change
i remember a team that struggled through the next years and going to the footy now took a quarter of my wage
i remember saying to my dad that ive never seen a player like hindmarsh since ray price
i remember calling my dad this morning telling him that our greatest player since ray price had called it quits

you see,ive been following this team like most of you since i was a kid, i am 43 years old and i still go to
games with my dad enjoy watching this guy hindmarsh go around in 2012 because these kind of players only come around only every 20 years or so .....
Me too to all of the above only my Dad's too old to go now. Thanks for the memories.

Good on ya. I lived in the sticks at the time, but I know my old man took me Cumberland for at least one game in that year (against Newtown)...don't think it was his debut but wasn't far thereafter. Must have been 10 or 11.

Wally21

Bench
I don't remember Cumberland oval, some merkins burnt it down before I was born.

I was one of those merkins. It was the best night of my life at that point.

Wonderful post Treasure hunt, wish I could still talk to my dad about the team. Dementia and a stroke have unfortunately taken his words. Still wears his cap with Hindys sig in the nursing home however

Parra Pride

Coach
I was one of those merkins. It was the best night of my life at that point.

Wonderful post Treasure hunt, wish I could still talk to my dad about the team. Dementia and a stroke have unfortunately taken his words. Still wears his cap with Hindys sig in the nursing home however

Damn you. :fist:

I always ask me mum why she didn't give birth to me 20 years earlier so I could have seen us win the Grand Finals, she always comes up with the excuse that she wasn't born 20 years earlier, but I don't buy it.

#IWishIHadATimeMachine

Wally21

Bench
Damn you. :fist:

I always ask me mum why she didn't give birth to me 20 years earlier so I could have seen us win the Grand Finals, she always comes up with the excuse that she wasn't born 20 years earlier, but I don't buy it.

#IWishIHadATimeMachine

PP, not to make you feel worse, but it truly was a great time to be an Eels supporter. In the old Cumberland days, my dad and I stood off to the left of the grandstand with my 6 uncles and we went rain, hail or shine. I will never forget sliding down the embankment at the back of the hill in the empty rose hill pie crates. I will also never forget the old man stopping the car in front of Greg Hartley one day and calling him a cheating dwarf. Happy days!!!

Haynzy

First Grade
I only went to a few games at Cumberland as my Dad was the minister at the Anglican church on Church st and a Newtown supporter so it was difficult for us to go to games.

When I was older I would travel to Belmore and anywhere else I could to see the boys go around.
I was an absolute tragic and drove my family and friends insane. All of my pocket money went into footy. Scanlon cards, which I still have, and getting to games. So many good memories. I always had something blue and gold on.

True EEL

Bench
great post tresure hunt.....even though i was a bit young to appreciate Cumberland Oval...

also growing up in the country meant attending games was not really an option, and Dad was a farmer with no time for fantasy such as Rugby League and pretty much sport in general. that left my older brother and I as almost the sole sportspeople in the family - and we loved it and lived for Rugby League and Cricket!!! except that he supported Wests and then Canterbury....

Stewie

Juniors
Yeah, great post, brought back alot of memories I'd forgotten. I remember hearing the paperboy's whistle and I'd run like the wind out of the house and buy a couple of packs of scanlens off him. Was great playing flicks and knockdowns at school with the footy cards too, never used my Parra cards though(didn't want to ruin the corners) I started buying them for my son but they just aren't the same, don't have that bubblegum powder smell.

Also remember Mum dropping My brothers and myself off at Parra Stadium with $5 each. That would get us on the hill with enough coin left for a hotdog and drink. Great times

Freak2

Juniors
Great post Treasure!
I just missed the cumberland oval era. Growing up in the Constitution hill area I remember hearing the roar from the crowd on Sunday afternoons and asking my parents "what was that"???
It wasn't long before I was riding my bike down to Parra Stadium and using a red combination chainlock to put the bike on the back fence of the North Hill. Would then use my school boys pass to get in before passing it to my other mates through the fence to get them in. Not quite sure what was more enjoyable wathcing the footy or being intrigued by the old Parra Boys singing thier derogative songs!!
GREAT TIMES!

parra pete

Referee
Yeah, great post, brought back alot of memories I'd forgotten. I remember hearing the paperboy's whistle and I'd run like the wind out of the house and buy a couple of packs of scanlens off him. Was great playing flicks and knockdowns at school with the footy cards too, never used my Parra cards though(didn't want to ruin the corners) I started buying them for my son but they just aren't the same, don't have that bubblegum powder smell.

Also remember Mum dropping My brothers and myself off at Parra Stadium with $5 each. That would get us on the hill with enough coin left for a hotdog and drink. Great times

AND change to chuck at the players....

Gronk

Staff member
AND change to chuck at the players....

Actually is was common for the ball boys to walk around the inside of the Cumberland fence holding a blanket by the four corners when there was a donation for something or another.

Latest posts