What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I see we have a new rule now

Lambretta

First Grade
JWH got what he deserved. If he concentrated more on winning the game than worrying about the referees the Roosters wouldn't have been in that position

The Roosters completely under estimated the Knights and were arrogant in their application

If they'd knuckled down and played properly they would have been miles ahead and it wouldn't have been an issue

If I were a Roosters player I'd be as embarrassed about that performance (and the one against Cronulla) as the OP should be about this thread

Well done Newcastle - you showed up and showed heart as I thought you would after last weeks effort. Your win was utterly deserved. Good on you.

Seti

Juniors
I only saw the highlights so not exactly sure the context but I believe JWH had a go at Badger in the in-goal after a try? If that is the case the referee obviously can't penalise or march 10 metres so the sin bin was the only alternative.

bottle

Coach
Soward was penalised in an Anzac Day game a few years back for dropping the f bomb. Gave the Rorters an 8 point lead. Did the Alderley sooking come to fruition afterwards?

Worked out ok in the end though as I recall.

Last edited:

neeknitsuj

Juniors
I only saw the highlights so not exactly sure the context but I believe JWH had a go at Badger in the in-goal after a try? If that is the case the referee obviously can't penalise or march 10 metres so the sin bin was the only alternative.

Badger sent him off as soon as the try was scored. JWH was making the tackle.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Lambretta has hit the nail on the head. Refs were shit, but when aren't they. We were terrible and for the second time in 3 games have been rightly embarrassed by opposition not meant to get near us.

Roosters players should be questioning their own commitment to this season and worrying less about the men in pink.

Meth

Staff member
Badger sent him off as soon as the try was scored. JWH was making the tackle.

He stood up quickly and said something. Badger cautioned him and JWH kept coming at him, saying whatever he was saying. Badger was definitely reacting (or over reacting) to what JWH was saying.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Do you Rooster fans seriously believe the refs have it in for them?

I don't say that flippantly, it's a genius question.

Burwood

Bench
That every time a player who isn't the captain harasses the ref it's an instant ten in the bin! I look forward to watching 6 on 6 next game.

Just like we were going to see 6 on 6 when they brought in the automatic sin binning for throwing a punch? Has there even been a single player sin binned for fighting since that Origin match last year?

bor

Juniors

Theres a few nuts on the chookpen that actually believe there is a conspiracy, and I'm saying this as a roosters fan myself.

meercat

Juniors
I like that the referees are copping such a pasting and what exactly did they do?
Video referee denied tries correctly, with one 50/50 one, which were almost all sent up as tries by the referees.
Touch judge calls that ball dead.
Referees gives Minichello a penalty when he clearly drops the ball.
So sin binning a player who isn't the captain that runs at you and start running his mouth at you is apparently the entire basis for this conspiracy theory. Maybe if some of the Roosters players showed the referees some respect it wouldn't get to that stage.

Danish

Referee

They don't have it in for us in the sense that they sit around saying "we need to make the roosters lose today boys".

What they do have - and Bill Harrigan admitted to this after the roosters manly game in 2013 when Hargraves was sent off - is top sheets and preconceived, coached perceptions of various players and teams.

Harrigan stated that refs go into games with the idea that X player is dirty in the ruck, or Y player strips the ball, or Z side holds down a lot. They then look for these things to try and stop them doing it. He even said that he and other refs take it personally when they watch a tape and see a marked player get away with something, as though the player got one over on THEM. To avoid this, he stated that known offenders are watched, and if that player is in a ruck and the ball comes out, they make an educated decision that it was likely helped out and will penalise.

Sterling was in the box at the time and was beside himself. First, he said that no player is competing against the ref, and it was only ego that would make a ref think a player was even thinking about getting anything over on them. He then took Harrigan to task that refs can't go into games with perceived notions, as that breeds bias. They should just penalise what they see and that's it. Harrigan scoffed at that suggestion.

That's what is ultimately wrong with refereeing. It's not a conspiracy, it's not with any malice, it's simply a terrible system.

The roosters simply have a few players on their tip sheets, and I would also say they given the huge amount of penalties we get hit with every year for the past decade or so also have a bit of a rep with refs in general for offside and holding down.

Latest posts