What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think now is a good time..

slippy

Juniors
I think now is a good time to openly apologize to a number of members from our team who I passionately criticized earlier this season, and one in particular who copped the majority of my frustrated rant.

After the Bulldogs massacre of round 6 (48-18) I questioned the heart and desire of the majority of our top 17, because I felt this was where our problems began (and where the problems have been fixed). I outlined the players who I would keep, and I coldly declared the ones who shouldn't remain part of our future, thankfully some who haven't improved will no longer be around (Finch, Hauraki, Cordoba, Tautai). Then... after the disappointing loss to the Tigers (23-6 I think?) I again took to this forum, and took to Nathan Cayless for this leadership (or lack of) in times of need.

However this last 10-11 weeks (I saw improvement before our streak) has been one of my most joyous times as an Eels fan and I've been absolutely amazed by our form, every single players personal improvement and better understanding and performance of their roles within our team.

Dear Nathan Cayless
I AM SORRY - I wrongly scapegoated you at a time when I was frustrated, I attacked you for the wrong reasons when I should have been patient and understood the growth phase we were in, rather than demanding instant results. You have made many critics eat some humble pie these last two months, your form has improved out of sight, and I would love nothing more than to see you win a premiership with our mighty club. You truely deserve it.

Fellow Eels fans I know you can understand where I'm coming from - a lot of us here have had to eat our words many times. I felt this needed to be done because not only Cayless, but every other member who performed poorly throughout the year has become integral to this club on and off the field - I never thought Id say this about players like Lowrie, Inu or Robson!!

This is an amazing era, which is just beginning, thank you DA, thank you Paul Osborne, thank you Jarryd Hayne, Nathan Hindmarsh, Dan Mortimer, Jeff Robson and even Todd Lowrie!!

I am now proud of every single member of this team, I cannot outline one player Id be glad to see leave, the gutless, cancerous pricks are gone. Win or lose this weekend or beyond, I am so proud of our mighty club and where we have come from, every player has earned personal recognition and I am so excited about what the future holds for this special club!! :D:D

GO THE MIGHTY EELS!!!

(Ps I hope you can decifer this positive rant)

mickdo

Coach
I wouldn't be sorry. Our form earlier in the year warranted criticism. If we didn't show how we felt when the team performed poorly, how would they or anyone know how much it meant to us?

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
This is an amazing era, which is just beginning, thank you DA, thank you Paul Osborne, thank you Jarryd Hayne, Nathan Hindmarsh, Dan Mortimer, Jeff Robson and even Todd Lowrie!!

EVEN TOODD?? :shock:

Fee

Juniors
Here, here. Well said Slippy. But I think as very passionate Paramatta fans sometimes we say things as we are frustrated. We are all in a good place now, lets put the past where it belongs and get on with being what we are,Loud and Proud Parramatta fans . Go you mighty Eels.:crazy::D

strider

Post Whore
i think kevin rudd needs to declare a new national sorry day whereby parra fans can apologise to all the players they have sworn at over the past 12 months

SDM

First Grade
Dont say sorry yet!
It is only half a season of good form, they are always possibly 80 minutes away from being useless again.:lol:

bradeel

Juniors
I think that the lesson in this is not that an apology is required for being proven wrong, because criticism was warranted and justified by the fact that the players clearly needed a kick up the bum, which once delivered, has helped turn the season around.

My bigger point would be that in my humble opinion, people on fan forums should temper their criticism a little with a bit more reason and patience. I have been as disappointed and angry as the next fan when the side puts in a bad performance, but some of the singling out of individuals that make errors or get dominated in a game goes too far. I'd agree that Cayless was playing poorly at the start of the season, but I'd also argue that he and the coaching staff would have been well aware of this and were working on rectifying the problems at hand. There's no need for the character assassinations of some of these guys that try their guts out for the jumper.

newmanj

Juniors
Well said Slippy. You were not alone when you emotions spilled out after the bulldogs game, and i am positive you are not alone now.

It has been a fantastic time to be an Eels supporter. I dont think i have ever enjoyed the footy as much, probably because it was so unexpected. So often in the past we have been full of expectation. The last 10 weeks have been a bonus.

JessEel

My bigger point would be that in my humble opinion, people on fan forums should temper their criticism a little with a bit more reason and patience. I have been as disappointed and angry as the next fan when the side puts in a bad performance, but some of the singling out of individuals that make errors or get dominated in a game goes too far. I'd agree that Cayless was playing poorly at the start of the season, but I'd also argue that he and the coaching staff would have been well aware of this and were working on rectifying the problems at hand. There's no need for the character assassinations of some of these guys that try their guts out for the jumper.

:shock:

Is it too late to nominate for Post of the Century??

The Colonel

Immortal
I think a few people and I'm pretty sure they know exactly who they are really should stay away from the computer until the day after a loss - I know I like to take a day away and compose myself. I was filthy a bit over a week ago but I stayed away and it certainly helps.

That said, there have been many occassions where criticism has been warranted. Mind you there is a fine line in regard to criticism and what is really warranted.

I've been highly critical of Cayless' captaincy in the past myself but I can't say I am too upset with it at the moment. There have been quite a few players this year that have changed my overall opinion of their performances too. I don't feel any real remorse for the criticism I have levelled at them as I'm sure they themselves would accept criticism if their performance was bad.

forward pass

Coach
I think that the lesson in this is not that an apology is required for being proven wrong, because criticism was warranted and justified by the fact that the players clearly needed a kick up the bum, which once delivered, has helped turn the season around.

Stop being sensible. Just stop !!!

backpage

Juniors
i think kevin rudd needs to declare a new national sorry day whereby parra fans can apologise to all the players they have sworn at over the past 12 months

This would be nice and much needed, however K Rudd isn't the greatest eels fan...he put this on his twitter page (I think this is what they call a tweet?):

Dally M’s last night in Syd. Congrats to Jarryd Haynes. Nice to see him thank his mum. Stunning player, pity he plays for the Eels. KRudd6:38 PM Sep 8th from web

http://twitter.com/KevinRuddPM

K Rudd's football knowledge is up there with Johnny Howard's bowling ability.

JessEel

Seriously - that is easilly the best post i have ever read on these pages. Well Done to you good sir! :thumn:

jk13

First Grade
i have also found that alcohol and this forum doesn't always mix well after a loss. therefore in my new 2 point plan, after a loss i try and play pool in the shed or hit up the missus before logging in. it puts my yang back in my ying