What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"I tried to break his leg"

gypsy

Bench
NEW ZEALAND hooker Issac Luke has admitted he deliberately tried to break cousin Rangi Chase's leg during the Four Nations.
Luke returned to Sydney this week after a Four Nations campaign in Britain that was as much a personal disaster for him as it was for the Kiwis, who failed to make the final.
The South Sydney star came under fire for not only his cannonball-style tackling technique but also for the leg wrench he inflicted on England's New Zealand-born playmaker Chase last weekend. He was suspended for two matches.

Luke made the stunning admission yesterday it was Chase's decision to switch allegiance from New Zealand to England that pushed him over the edge.
''I just saw red,'' Luke said. ''A lot of the legends that played in the black and white jersey, they wanted blood. I know Rubes [assistant coach Ruben Wiki] wanted blood.
''I guess that's the mentality us young ones have taken on board. We had a talk the night before about what the jersey meant and that must have come out.
''When you come up against your family you want to outplay them. I didn't outplay him. I tried to break his leg. It was the wrong thing to do.
''Now I see that; at the time I didn't. After the game I said sorry. He said it stays on the field.''
He has since apologised to Chase, a junior league teammate from Taranaki who was seen in the Kiwis' dressing room afterwards, and regrets the moment of madness that could have put his cousin on crutches.
''I've got to try and control my aggression rather than try to break everyone. I'm regretting it but I can't take it back. I need to wipe all that stuff out of my game,'' Luke said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...eak-his-leg-20111119-1nofi.html#ixzz1eAmZqUPD

gypsy

Bench
Definitely. Shame they won't come up against each other again for a long time.

drago brelli

Bench
Isn't the honesty refreshing.
Great spin, you should be working for a politician. Souths hierarchy need to pull this fool in and tell him he has just brought the game into disprute with that comment. Then again the incident happened at international level and no one seems to care.

DC_fan

Coach
Luke seems to have a big problem. If he doesn't learn to control his aggression better then I don't see him playing in the NRL for much longer.

skeepe

Immortal
f**king thug. Despicable human being. He has no place in the man's game, because he isn't a man.

hunters

Juniors
No doubt he did the wrong thing but I think you guys are taking this comment the wrong way. This is not an admission of guilt rather of regret. I think it's meant to be taken like "i tried to take his head off".

Anyway, I'm sure some here will read it the way they want to.

Big Sam

First Grade
Luke seems to have a big problem. If he doesn't learn to control his aggression better then I don't see him playing in the NRL for much longer.

True. Another average year from him with Peatsy continuing to improve...

themacemaceman

Juniors
No doubt he did the wrong thing but I think you guys are taking this comment the wrong way. This is not an admission of guilt rather of regret. I think it's meant to be taken like "i tried to take his head off".

Anyway, I'm sure some here will read it the way they want to.

I agree too hunters. I don't think issac has the skills to handle the media and leaves himself open to be misquoted or have words put in his mouth. He needs to put himself back on a media ban.

Last edited:

gypsy

Bench
I agree too hunters. I don't think issac has the skills to handle the media and leaves himself open to be misquoted or have words put in his mouth. He needs to put himself back on a media ban.

I understand fans will back their team and players in any situation, but how the hell can you defend this?

" I tried to break his leg. It was the wrong thing to do."

It's pretty black and white, just cop it.

11Straight

Juniors
It's defending something that can't be defended.

This arsewipe doesn't deserve to be recognized in any way shape or form.