What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.I want Wayne Bennett, reveals Nathan Tinkler

Sacrolishes

Juniors
He's already been guaranteed a position at the Knights for another 5 years after Wayne Bennett leaves. That is what was reported in the paper a week or so ago. Bennett ( If he comes) will only be here for the year I expect MAYBE two but i reckon he'll go to Brisbane when Lockyer is ready to coach in 2013!

So A year under Bennett could be the perfect thing for Stone who I also have been impressed with how he and rest of the staff have handled themselves this year and Pre Season! BRING ON SUNDAY YYEEEEOOOOWWW!!!

Rusty

Juniors
he's not going to say anything that eliminates one of the options he has on the table. he's not that dumb. my suspicion is that it is how it has looked for a long time - if we get Tinkler, we get Bennett. words are cheap, but his actions thus far suggest to me that this is the case. who could know for sure with him, though?

Todays announcement just seems too coincidental. I'll be extremely surprised if he doesn't end up signing with us.

It's surreal that Wayne Bennett could be our coach next year.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Dont flame, but is anybody else concerned that if Bennett come here, we may end up losing Stone?

I know Bennett is the biggest name in RL in terms of coaching, but i fear for what we may lose. Alot like losing our young talent.

I hope Stone can see an upside in staying around if/when Bennett comes on board.

It would be easy to see it as a demotion, and look to go elsewhere...... The Bunnies and Panthers will probably need a new HC.

Nathan Tinkler talks about building a Knights dynasty. That dynasty will be far more achievable if we can get Bennett in the short term while retaining Stone for the long term. It will also help the players feel more secure and confident that when Bennett eventually moves on, the team can make the easy transition to a coach who has already earned their trust and respect. It's all about ongoing success.

All Tinks will need to do is communicate to Stone that he is a vital part of the Knights long term strategy for success.

RABK

Referee
Bellamy and Hasler might be grumpy and colorful but god damn they have come out with the best set movements seen since the Canberra side of the early 90's. Brilliant coaches.

Serc

First Grade
Did I miss something...or did Bennett say twice during that press conference that hopefully he will announce what he's doing in 2012 at the end of this year?

perverse

Referee
seems like an odd statement for him to make. you sure he didn't say by the end of the year?

i didnt watch the conference, btw... i just don't see the motivation in intentionally leaving it that long now that he has notified the Dragons of his departure. regardless, both Brisbane and Newcastle are probably in positions to wait with their respective setups, i'd say both current coaches would be assured futures under Bennett if he arrived, and both clubs will probably roll with what they have for 2012 if he doesn't come.

Nuffy

Bench
For what its worth, Weidler said on the 9 news tonight that Bennett had met with Tinkler earlier this week.

Frankly, if he was going to Brisbane, it would have been announced, no point in holding it back.

But........................ if he has designs on Newcastle, then it won't be announced until next week at the earliest.

RABK

Referee
The pressure will be immense around this club if Bennett does come here.

After what he done with the Dragons the entire rugby league community and most Knights fans will be expecting Newcastle to win a comp in his time here.

That's fine for Bennett - he is invincible to criticism due to his achievements and i'm sure no matter when he retire he'll have no regrets. He doesn't feel pressure. But i do fear that pressure of expectation may affect our players somewhat.

Anyone else consider this point? That's not to say no to Bennett - but it's worth considering.

perverse

Referee
to be honest i think that expectation was already there with the Dragons. i don't believe there is a better coach at getting his players heads in the right place, it is his signature. the pressure will exist, but i dont think it will get to the boys.

the inverse of the argument is the added confidence the players will get having the man himself coaching them.

so, yeah its probably possible. i can see that the pressure would be there, but i don't think there's a man on the planet better equipped to either get the players to handle it ok, or even use it positively somehow. the only drawback i genuinely fear if we got Bennett would be losing Stone. Bennett will be a short term option to come in, be awesome and make us awesome, hopefully net a trophy and then depart. Stone has done very, very little wrong in his tenure thus far, in my opinion... and i particularly like the squad he is assembling. last year was a disaster, granted, but he got the boys playing some really good footy once he got them fit and headstrong at the back end of the year, with a pretty ordinary group of blokes on paper.

RABK

Referee
It will be doubled but. He was going to the Dragons after 20 years with the Broncos. Pressure was always there for the Dragons because of their choking but he won them a premiership within two years. People wil lexpect where Wayne now goes, the title will follow.

We as fans ourselves will have pressure from other fans to experience success. A minor premiership under Bennett in 2009 was considered a failure by most!

Johns Magic

Referee
seems like an odd statement for him to make. you sure he didn't say by the end of the year?

Nope, he said it.

I don't know if he mispoke, or if he was having a joke to himself because he enjoys the media going crazy not knowing and wants it to drag out(there was what appeared to be a wry smile, but who can tell with him), but it seemed like an odd thing to say.

I imagine whatever club he signed for, he would want to announce it in time to make some player signings for next year.

perverse

Referee
is their such a thing as "double pressure"? pressure is pressure, it's only the degree to which we allow ourselves to be affected by it that changes its severity. i've seen blokes crack under the pressure of a 9-5 office job. i've seen Darren Lockyer fake to field goal and chip over the top to his winger with 10 seconds to go and scores tied... all with the poise of a businessman reading the morning paper, completely unphased.

sorry, i just can't really buy into it. i can't buy into our pressure being any more severe than the pressure that was at the Dragons, really. dealing with pressure is dealing with pressure, and Wayne Bennett has the runs on the board to suggest he's the undisputed champion of it.

i do kinda see what you're saying, i just can't see it as an issue.

perverse

Referee
Nope, he said it.

I don't know if he mispoke, or if he was having a joke to himself because he enjoys the media going crazy not knowing and wants it to drag out(there was what appeared to be a wry smile, but who can tell with him), but it seemed like an odd thing to say.

I imagine whatever club he signed for, he would want to announce it in time to make some player signings for next year.
yep, that is strange indeed, for any number of reasons (and your point regarding recruitment, absolutely). he does have an interesting track record with the media... it's really just taking the piss saying that you'll definitely be taking that long to make a decision. i mean is he saying if he wakes up tomorrow and is like "yep, i'm going to Brisbane next year" that he's just going to keep it to himself for another 8 months? for sh*ts and giggles?

it really doesn't add up. it's just f**king odd.

Spot On

Coach
Yeh, the couple of reports I heard on the Bennett announcement both said he would not be making a decision on his future /future club till years end.

Just on Stone, if Bennett has a stint here Rick will stay and then takeover unless he has a falling out with Tinkler. For mine, it's going to be most interesting watching how the dynamics work between Tinkler and his employees at the club. It may be a rough ride if he treats staff as he has treated his horse trainers. I can't imagine Bennett putting up with any sh*t from him even if he's paying him a fortune. Stoney has done all the right things so far, publicly supported Tinkler and you would think that the big man will remember that well into the future.

cram

Bench
The thing is that if we have any chance of getting Bennett Tinkler would need to be pulling his head in because Bennett won't wear interference....I would suggest that is why he is not interested in Souths....The Gladiator hanging around all the time would be annoying....

Bicey_18

Bench
Was just watching Fox Sports news... and they were showing footage of a function that Wayne's brother was hosting... and were asking around to see where Wayne would be going..

"He wont be going to Newcastle, i dont think thats a viable option, he will go to Souths because of the challenge to win 3 comps with 3 different clubs and Souths have the better chance of delivering that" - Roy Masters

Then the idiot reporter threw his 2 cents in and said "Souths it is, you heard it here first"

Keep talking up Souths and Brisbane everyone as "viable" options.... keep us out of the spotlight and we will nab him

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
The pressure will be immense around this club if Bennett does come here.

After what he done with the Dragons the entire rugby league community and most Knights fans will be expecting Newcastle to win a comp in his time here.

That's fine for Bennett - he is invincible to criticism due to his achievements and i'm sure no matter when he retire he'll have no regrets. He doesn't feel pressure. But i do fear that pressure of expectation may affect our players somewhat.

Anyone else consider this point? That's not to say no to Bennett - but it's worth considering.
He went to the Dragons who had a team capable of winning the comp, you don't think they felt the ultimate pressure?

It goes to show just how good Bennett is that he was in control and got them in the right mentality.

Alex28

Coach
Didn't Bennett say at his presser that the three premierships at three clubs thing was not his motivation?

(Mind you he said cash wasn't either...)