What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I was just looking on the broncos site and looked at Botts and Andersons profile....

azzah72

Bench
....with our current signings i was thinking about the backline next year (without including hannay) and i was wondering about what the combinations could be as these two are/were the fastest guys in brisbane.

with simmo in and covell re-signed and also albert & pomm, on our current signings how would you set up the backline?

i was thinking that we need a balance at the back of good hands and speed so i thought that

1. covell
2.simmo
3. anderson
4. pomm
5.bott

or

1.simmo
2.anderson
3.covell
4.pomm
5.bott

but with hanny potentially coming in and also albert (which i am leaving out purposely) i don't think our backline worries are too bad

i just think we need a balance

at the moment full strength i think it is

1.fast
2.slow
3.slow
4.fast
5.fast

we need to balance that out with something like two slower but skillfull centre with two fast wingers who can shoot off from the ovelaps

what do you guys think?

White Poiner

Coach
Its experience, thats our problem..

Also, all our backs except Covell have question marks if they are good enough for FG..
Albert is not good enough atm..
Simmo.. undecided.

azzah72

Bench
White Poiner said:
Its experience, thats our problem..

Also, all our backs except Covell have question marks if they are good enough for FG..
Albert is not good enough atm..
Simmo.. undecided.

True that, if we sign hannay i would throw him straight in there with covell in the centres, i think simmo has done enough at fullback (just has to grow some balls) and put any combination of the kiwi's or albert on the wings, with the pomm also up for a go as i thought he was solid out of position a few weeks ago.

McLovin

Staff member
1. Simmons
2. Albert
3. Hannay
4. Anderson
5. Covell

How's Andersons defence??

Manfred Moore

Juniors
What about this backline had we not let go of certain players over the last few years? All these players are currently playing with other NRL teams...

1. David Peachey
2. Nathan Merritt/Luke Macdougall
3. Matt King
4. Andrew Emilio
5. Colin Best
6. Travis Burns
7. Preston Campbell

Makes you think sometime whether the argument for recruitment is as important as retaining...

It isn't a perfect backline but there are some try scoring abilities there.

shadowboxer

First Grade
covell in the centres?
might be a good idea, he hasnt the speed on the wing but movement in play is awesome. Im not a big fan but he has been better recently. I guess we will wait and see what roper thinks. Pommeroy has to be in the mix sum-where

Stonecutter

First Grade
IMO Covell has been a rock on the wing so unless there is injuries I wouldn't want to put him at FB or Centre.

veryhappyshark

Juniors
leave covell on the wings..hes a winger not a centre and great under the high ball...we shouldnt do anything to harm covells hot run in FG..hes doin great for the club in the wing role...shouldnt b moved

Special K

Coach
Bott needs to be inked up. I don't like these 6 month deals. What we did with Mellars was the right idea - 18 months so they can have an off season with us.

I think we have really lacked strike power in our backline in the past few years and lacked a real speedster(albert doesn't do anything so he doesn't count) so to add Anderson and Bott to it is a good idea. Hopefully our backline with an injection of speed(plus Andersons size) can do some damage for a change. Our backline has sucked since the end of 2002.

shark_fin_soup

Juniors
Manfred Moore said:
What about this backline had we not let go of certain players over the last few years? All these players are currently playing with other NRL teams...

1. David Peachey
3. Matt King
4. Andrew Emilio
5. Colin Best
6. Travis Burns
7. Preston Campbell

Makes you think sometime whether the argument for recruitment is as important as retaining...

that is one sh|t backline with possible the worst defensive combo ever. the only one id have back is king.

azzah72

Bench
maybe with size/height and speed in mind it should look like

1.simmo
2.covell
3.anderson
4.pomm
5.bott/albert/tosh

with hannay maybe for pomm or anderson

Actually i'm not really sure, we need our foward back to keep going next year (we have only lost stosic so far right?) as they are the only realy reason we are going well this year, as for backs, if we sign hannay we have potantially are very good mix of young and experienced backs next year with speed and size to boot, it's a little hard to pick a balanced backline

Manfred Moore

Juniors
shark_fin_soup said:
that is one sh|t backline with possible the worst defensive combo ever. the only one id have back is king.

well spotted. it ISNT a perfect backline and obviously was never going to be the sharks backline. the point is do we sometimes get hung up on who we buy and not who we have? we will never be in a position to buy that premiership like others can.

btw that sh*te backline scored 24 points in a wet round of football this weekend on their own...

coolumsharkie

Referee
Special K said:
Bott needs to be inked up. I don't like these 6 month deals. What we did with Mellars was the right idea - 18 months so they can have an off season with us.

I think we have really lacked strike power in our backline in the past few years and lacked a real speedster(albert doesn't do anything so he doesn't count) so to add Anderson and Bott to it is a good idea. Hopefully our backline with an injection of speed(plus Andersons size) can do some damage for a change. Our backline has sucked since the end of 2002.

So true, can't get excited by any of them really but happy to have Covell thats about it.

imasharkie

Coach
Manfred Moore said:

1. David Peachey
3. Matt King
4. Andrew Emilio
5. Colin Best
6. Travis Burns
7. Preston Campbell

Both had blinders last night and except for a massive brain explosion by Walker, either one could have scored a try and made it a golden point game. Max would have made it 3 or Peach could have made it 2 for the night. How the Sharks could do with these two try scoring machines in our team this year. I think Max has scored more tries than Albert and Simmons(our suposed savours) combined.

Oh well supercoach knows all. :crazy: :lol:

Inferno

Coach
Anyone know how many Tries Peach has setup and scored since he's been back?

Its not on the NRL.com site, meanwhile Latu's profile is still there :roll:

imasharkie

Coach
Also on the Peach issue.

Matty Johns has just said on The Roast that Peach was the best player he ever played with and that he's still playing at the top of his game.

Not according to supercoach.

Latest posts