What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I will not be silent about this

sharkies9

Juniors
I was hoping Luke would play. He was in a pro union set up and he has at least played in the amnrl in the past. He also just came off the world 7's circuit.

gyallop

Juniors
Homer you havent answered the question so stop trying to spin your way out of it you made the statement of fact that every player has a link to Australia by birth or parentage and I asked you to back that up which we both know you cant because it isnt true....its ok to be wrong.

you mentioned the 2 RU players who pulled out but now you add in 2 more but I dont buy into any argument about carrying players in a squad , the pacific nations took "overs" if that is what you mean and I am a fan of that but they had gov't funding for that. USA isnt even paying players.

The three players who talk off learnt their trades in Australia and France not the USA so arent a marker of how good the USA comps are.

Wales website suggests they have 2 championship sides and 52 clubs and Ireland's suggests 15.

tmfsd

Juniors
This is obviously a little off topic, but I wonder if there is a sailing forum out there that has seppos complaining about their Americas Cup winning team that was full of foreigners...

Tone83

Juniors
The funniest/saddest part is that their worst player by far (and the worst player in the world cup from any team) is an ex-nrl player, petersen, just awful.

Would have been way way better served with some extremely fast sprinter or failed wide reciever on the wing, like the US rugby 7s team.

Misanthrope

Staff member
The funniest/saddest part is that their worst player by far (and the worst player in the world cup from any team) is an ex-nrl player, petersen, just awful.

Would have been way way better served with some extremely fast sprinter or failed wide reciever on the wing, like the US rugby 7s team.

To be fair, he's been retired for something like four years. It's insane that he was ever called up at all.

clarency

Juniors
They should have picked selectors and coaching staff that had a little bit of knowledge/faith in their own comps.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Homer you havent answered the question so stop trying to spin your way out of it you made the statement of fact that every player has a link to Australia by birth or parentage and I asked you to back that up which we both know you cant because it isnt true....its ok to be wrong.
Do you want me to copy & paste Spinner's post that I linked to? Do you disagree with anything in Spinner's post? If so then point out where he's incorrect. If he's not incorrect then stop wasting your time.
you mentioned the 2 RU players who pulled out but now you add in 2 more but I dont buy into any argument about carrying players in a squad , the pacific nations took "overs" if that is what you mean and I am a fan of that but they had gov't funding for that. USA isnt even paying players.
No, Fiji have 3 domestic players in their 24-man squad. Samoa have two, Italy have two, Tonga have one. If you can't comprehend that 4 players pulling out of a 24-man squad and being replaced by 2 leaves two free places, then it really isn't worth you continuing this discussion. Finances aren't the issue, USA selected two uncommitted RU players that pulled out, if they had selected two domestic RL players then there wouldn't have been a problem.
The three players who talk off learnt their trades in Australia and France not the USA so arent a marker of how good the USA comps are.
So what you're suggesting is that these players are far superior to everyone else who plays in both the AMNRL and USARL?

gyallop

Juniors
Please state the connection that every player has by birth or parentage to Australia. Stop deflecting and back up your statement.

4 players havent pulled out of the squad. Two did Hume was replaced by Taylor Welch a USA born player from the AMNRL and Durutalo by Pettybourne. A third was allowed leave.

Finances not an issue for an amatuer league... you are cracking jokes.

No what I am saying is those 3 players learnt/developed their craft in Australia so arent a marker of the USA comps. Players with Australian experience better adapt to structures and its shows with these three. Who do you think in the USA comps. are better players?

Have you thought of a USA based player that can do what Pettybourne has done?

Bronco Rob

Juniors
It's interesting to note that Luke Hume pulled out because of a broken leg but is selected for the USA Eagles game versus NZ Maori tomorrow.

Such a ridiculous selection, a RU player to play in a Rugby World Cup, I thought the WC was about rewarding Rugby League players by being able to play for their country.

Please state the connection that every player has by birth or parentage to Australia. Stop deflecting and back up your statement.

4 players havent pulled out of the squad. Two did Hume was replaced by Taylor Welch a USA born player from the AMNRL and Durutalo by Pettybourne. A third was allowed leave.

No what I am saying is those 3 players learnt/developed their craft in Australia so arent a marker of the USA comps. Players with Australian experience better adapt to structures and its shows with these three. Who do you think in the USA comps. are better players?

That's fine if the KPI of this side was to bring in success on the field and the current squad have done that but what about the success off the field? What is going to be the plan after the World Cup finishes to translate that success on the field to develop the game in the US domestically so that maybe in 4 years time we see some bona-fide domestic players participating in the next World Cup?

I can understand wanting to have short term success in order to generate interest but there needs to be a sucession plan to take advantage or else this whole exercise of ostracising domestic players and teams by choosing the best possible side will be pointless.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I've already clearly provided you with a link. Repeating yourself and making me post it again isn't going to make it go away. Since you are apparently incapable of following links I'll copy and paste Spinner's post.
Mark Cantoni (Dalby) - Australia

Andrew Durutalo (USA Eagles - The USA UNION Team) - We are unaware of him ever playing Rugby League. Certainly not a single domestic game. If there is anyone who can find evidence of him playing we would like to know

Bureta Faraimo (Mackay Cutters) - Australia

Gabriel Farley - AUSTRALIAN - (Southampton Dragons) - He is a UNION player based on what you can find
online and we are not sure of how many domestic league games he played for this team but we believe it was only a handful in the last season at best.

Kristian Freed - AUSTRALIAN - (Connecticut Wildcats) -played only a handful of games at the last part of the 2013 season. They named him as a player for a AMNRL Domestic team, rather than him being Australian and having played only a few games in the USA. I wonder if he will return to the USA after the WC to help grow the game.

Michael Garvey (Ipswich Jets) - He is American and played for the Glen Mills Bulls. He is from New Jersey I
believe and is about the only true home grown talent that is on the team. He got a chance to play in Australia and took it. From all reports he is doing well and his overall selection is true USA Rugby League success story.

Roman Hifo (East Hawks, NZ) - New Zealand

Danny Howard (Wentworthville) - Australia

Stephen Howard (Tuggeranong Vikings) - Australia

Luke Hume (New York Knights) - Australian who played for 2 seasons with the New York Knights, but has
not played Rugby League in 2 years to our knowledge. He did help grow the game while he was here. I believe he is trying to get a UNION contract in the UK and has been playing there on trial for some time.

Judah Lavulo (Cabramatta) - Australia

Joel Luani (Wests Tigers) - Australia

David Marando (Belrose) - Australia

Ryan McGoldrick (Salford City Reds) - UK (Australian)

Clint Newton (Penrith) - Australia

Mark Offerdahl - AUSTRALIAN - (Connecticut Wildcats) - played only a handful of games at the last part of the 2013 season. They named him as a player for a AMNRL Domestic team, rather than him being Australian and having played only a few games in the USA. I wonder if he will return to the USA after the WC to help grow the game.

Joseph Paulo (Parramatta/Capt) - Australia

Junior Paulo (Parramatta) - Australia

Craig Priestly - AUSTRALIAN - (Southampton Dragons) - Not sure of his long term intentions, but he did set up and run the Southhampton Dragons (USA) for the 2013 season - we hope he continues with that push

Matt Petersen (Cudgen Hornets) - Australia

Tui Samoa (Redcliffe) - Australia

Matt Shipway (Newcastle) - Australia

Les Soloai (Featherstone Rovers) - UK

Lelauloto Tagaloa (Hawaii Chiefs) - very little info on this guy but we understand that he has played only a
handful games of Rugby League. Unaware of his playing ability. - BUT does live in the USA (HI)
AFAIK Tagaloa is Samoan-born and qualifies on residency in Hawaii. So in that squad, there is one known American RL player, who currently plays in Australia. Since then Welch has also been added, although he was raised in the UK. Which is exactly what I said. If you're trying to pick at the fact that some of the players are NZ born rather than Australian then that's a pretty ridiculous attempt at changing the subject considering it makes absolutely no difference in the context of this argument.
Durutalo, Hume, McGoldrick and Cantoni pulled out. Or 'withdrew', or were 'allowed to leave' or whatever else you want to say to try and deflect attention from the fact that you're talking absolute garbage. There are currently 22 active players of a potential 24 man roster. What do you think you're going to achieve by pretending this isn't the case?
Yet they were able to provide finances for an original squad of 24 before players pulled out...

Are you really this stupid?
So the fact that they're Australian automatically makes them better in your eyes without considering any other merits. Pretty consistent with the Tomahawks team selection TBH.

The players named might well be the best, but the fact remains that they play in the American competition and have been among the better performers on the world stage. Unless they are head and shoulders above every single other player in both US competitions then there's every chance that other players exist who could compete, or at least put up a credible showing as squad members.
No, because I never said that and have already addressed this several times as you seem repeatedly incapable of understanding that 22 active players in a 24 man squad leaves two free spots.

gyallop

Juniors
I am as stupid as you are self righteous arrogant and disconnected from the real world.

It must be frustrating having all the answers and waiting for the call that never comes!

By providing a link that is factually incorrect as the proof to back up your statement that every player has a link to Australia is hardly reflective of the opinion you hold of your own opinion.

Do some research and you might just find out that the Howards Farley Newton Hifo & Samoa were born in the USA and Garvey has no link by birth or parentage as this link which is your "proof" says.

Just admit your wrong and lets move on.

Cantoni is still there so stop making shit up.

You have zero idea on who has paid for the tour so instead you call me stupid.

again you seek to twist a statement and you dont answer a simple direct question. the answer you have provided shows a complete lack of understanding of how the game is actually played. On Pettybourne applying your technique the answer should easy given your intricate knowledge of the USA game and the standard you believe it is played at.

Boston13s

Juniors
Yeah Cantoni broke his arm against France but stuck around in the hopes of playing in the later stages. Full credit to the fella! I guess we'll see this Saturday if his wait has been worth it

Evil Homer

Staff member
I am as stupid as you are self righteous arrogant and disconnected from the real world.

It must be frustrating having all the answers and waiting for the call that never comes!

By providing a link that is factually incorrect as the proof to back up your statement that every player has a link to Australia is hardly reflective of the opinion you hold of your own opinion.

Do some research and you might just find out that the Howards Farley Newton Hifo & Samoa were born in the USA and Garvey has no link by birth or parentage as this link which is your "proof" says.

Which part of the link is factually incorrect? You understand that 'birth or parentage' does not simply mean 'birth'?
Cantoni is still there so stop making shit up.
http://www.nrl.com/tomahawk-cantoni-to-miss-world-cup/tabid/10874/newsid/75115/default.aspx

He may be still there but he isn't an active member of the squad. And if the team can afford to carry a non-playing member then clearly your point about finances is complete BS. They also have Curtis Cunz, another non-player on the tour.
You have zero idea on who has paid for the tour so instead you call me stupid.
I called you stupid because what you said was totally stupid. Regardless of who was paying, the initial budget was for a party of 24. If two players pull out then that doesn't change the fact that the tour was budgeted for a squad of 24.
again you seek to twist a statement and you dont answer a simple direct question. the answer you have provided shows a complete lack of understanding of how the game is actually played. On Pettybourne applying your technique the answer should easy given your intricate knowledge of the USA game and the standard you believe it is played at.
No, you've asked a ridiculous question about a claim I didn't make in an attempt to once again derail the argument and avoid the actual issues. Nobody has ever claimed that any domestic American players are better than Eddy Pettybourne, only an idiot would do so. There is no 'twisting' of any kind. USA have 22 active squad members out of a possible 24. They picked a squad with only one known American RL player, who happens to currently play in Australia. These are indisputable facts which you seem to be attempting to dispute.

gyallop

Juniors
you just cant help yourself can you, your statement and the link are actually too quite separate things except for using it as a statement of fact. The link is incorrect for several players and Garvey alone proves your statement to be false.

cantoni is still active and obviously wasnt replaced as his injury was such that he could play and you are making assumptions on finances then calling me stupid based on your assumption.

I see known american resurfaces I am sure the success of this squad has done , in my opinion, to promote the game then picking known players and not winning.

sharkies9

Juniors
Luke Hume played for the US union team on Saturday night against the Maoris. He went well. That broken leg must of healed fast.

Bronco Rob

Juniors

Speaking about moving on, do I not get a reply for my very perntinent query below about the future of the game in the US after the WC?

That's fine if the KPI of this side was to bring in success on the field and the current squad have done that but what about the success off the field? What is going to be the plan after the World Cup finishes to translate that success on the field to develop the game in the US domestically so that maybe in 4 years time we see some bona-fide domestic players participating in the next World Cup?

I can understand wanting to have short term success in order to generate interest but there needs to be a sucession plan to take advantage or else this whole exercise of ostracising domestic players and teams by choosing the best possible side will be pointless.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Luke Hume played for the US union team on Saturday night against the Maoris. He went well. That broken leg must of healed fast.

And here I am trying to defend the credibility of the tournament to mates of mine and we have a team that was willing to choose mercenaries.

Latest posts