What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I will not be silent about this

Craigo

Juniors
From what I can gather, Duralto, Farley and Soloai are American RU players, and I think Tagaloa is from Hawaii. Garvey, Priestley and Hume are from AMNRL clubs but I know the latter is an Aussie who qualifies on residency. I believe Offerdahl used to play for an AMNRL club but has also played in France, no idea of his heritage. Cantoni plays in France.

Obviously Newton, McGoldrick and the Paulo brothers are first graders from Australia, and Matt Petersen is a retired first grader. I believe the rest are all from the Queensland Cup or play park footy.

I could understand if it was a bunch of superstars like the Italy squad, but TBH the standard that some of these players are playing at surely isn't much higher than the USA comps. The fact that they've selected them ahead of the legit American players is an insult, and a real shame because I thought they'd turned a corner with the new administration. Especially after the likes of Pope and Cunz had featured prominently in the build-up and been interviewed on the official WC website etc, to omit them at this stage for a bunch of park players from Australia is kind of pathetic TBH.
This is why there should be a minimum number of home grown players in each and every WC squad despite what blow-outs may occur. To be a full member of the RLIF, a country has to have a number of teams playing regulary in a comp in that country to attain that privelege. That country should then be compelled to pick "x" number of domestic players in their WC squad.
In a previous post on the Italian WC squad, you stated that it was a World Cup and not a charity event. I agree, but a World Cup lacks credibility when teams field squads full of heritage players, some so far removed its a joke, even players that retired years ago, at the expense of domestic players busting their arses week in, week out!

A few years ago I watched Cumbria (my local county) play the USA, they beat them 70-0. The standard of the US players was that far behind the part time pros from England it was ridiculous. sure the likes of McGoldrick and Peterson played a small part in the game but mainly it was a run for the 20 or so American squad guys

I watched some of the players mentioned on this thread like Cunz and they were majorly embarressed, some people may not like it but they have to realise that ANY grade of football in the UK or Australia is far superior than that of the USA and they need to do anything they can to get ahead.

I suppose though in all honesty I dont expect anything different from the usual overly excitable posters on here even back then they were flabbergasted a county from the UK could beat the US by such a margin.

Even the colonial cup games should have rung bells, the speed of the game was excruciatingly slow, i play in "A" team games in the barrow league with a quicker ruck.

To be honest i dont really know the game your talking about, however i will say this

1) The standard a few years back compared to today in my opinion has completely changed for the better, so much so that you would not believe that your in the same country.

2) This may shock you, but sometimes USA Selections were based on who could afford to pay there own way to travel to the game. (I know as a rule of thumb young guys who are up incoming and train 24/7 generally dont have the ability to fund their own travel. Older guys generally past their prime have money).

Therefore im going to guess that it was not a true sample of the best talent, rather it was a sample of the talent that could afford to play. Futhermore if it was in Fall or Spring you would have had players pass up the game because it was during Union season and the union game counted in standings and the exhibition match was just that against a county side from Cumbria.

I would put money on it that you wouldn't route the USA Team if you had a proper sampling of a true USA team.

Your Counterpoint to this will be regarding the Routing the New England Immortals took in 2012 from the Royal Marines.
- 2 Points
1) It was the first Rugby League Game for 65% of the team
2) 80% of the team was under 22
3) It was the first Time the boys stepped on the pitch for the season and the team maybe trained for 2 weeks (4 sessions) prior to the match.
- The game and the team was used by the NH Warriors, Boston 13s and RIR as a tool to recruit new players to the game as opposed to actually being a legitimate select side.

Regardless, its the American's game to loose or win or be embarrassed by. Hell the USA Rugby Union Team gets routed by 70 points to Australia in the World Cup. Its the name of the Game its the way these things work. Its nothing to be embarrassed by. Disappointed sure, embarrassed no. Its like England getting destroyed in Basketball by the Dream Team. Its expected and its just where the sport is. But at least the English Players got to play for their country and stand on the same court as MJ. That is how you build a future to the sport, by returning players with great experiences back to their country to spread their love of the game. Not by shipping in people who may be a little bit better so they can loose by 40 points instead of 60.

Last edited:

Evil Homer

Staff member
it was a simple question which you didnt answer.

I count at least 5 blokes from local leagues by the way.
I didn't think you were stupid enough to ask that as a legit question. But if you really were, then yes, I have seen games in the USA and the Queensland Cup.

If by 'local leagues' you mean domestic USA players, then I can see three AMNRL players, two of whom are Aussies and the other who lived and played in Australia. If by local leagues you mean Aussie park footy, then yeah.

Nobody is suggesting that USA should have fielded a full domestic side, I'm fully aware of the need for strong teams at the WC and have stated as much in other threads. But when you're ringing in blokes like Matt Petersen who has been retired for four years, there's nothing to say he'd perform any better than an American player. Obviously the standard is higher in Australia, obviously pro players will be selected ahead of amateurs but how many of these Australian players are also amateurs? More importantly, what is gained from making the American players jump through hoops for years in order to earn Tomahawk selection and then not selecting a single one of them when it actually matters?

Like Byrner said, this squad is going to get thumped regardless, they might as well have got thumped with integrity, instead it's just a holiday for a bunch of substandard Aussies who we'll probably never hear from again.

Evil Homer

Staff member
This is why there should be a minimum number of home grown players in each and every WC squad despite what blow-outs may occur. To be a full member of the RLIF, a country has to have a number of teams playing regulary in a comp in that country to attain that privelege. That country should then be compelled to pick "x" number of domestic players in their WC squad.
In a previous post on the Italian WC squad, you stated that it was a World Cup and not a charity event. I agree, but a World Cup lacks credibility when teams field squads full of heritage players, some so far removed its a joke, even players that retired years ago, at the expense of domestic players busting their arses week in, week out!
There should be no minimum requirement, in fact if there was the USA would probably meet it with this squad because of the RU players. But you'd expect the national selectors to have common sense and the best interests of the sport at heart, which sadly the AMNRL have never seemed to. IMO there's a big difference between Italy fielding the likes of Minichiello and Gower and USA filling their squad with a bunch of nobodies from local Aussie A grade comps. Take out 3 or 4 of these clowns and put in 3 or 4 AMNRL or USARL players and everyone would be happy. Instead we now have talented American players walking away from the game because a bunch of Australians living in America are too stupid and selfish to see beyond the end of their own noses.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I personally think that when the world cup is over and Canada or Jamaica is looking to have a game against the USA the American players that get selected should point to the World Cup Squad and tell the selectors to have them play. To think something that would be even more embarrassing than this current world cup squad, a Tomahawks forfeit on US soil because players dish out exactly what was dished to them!
Larry, if the AMNRL and USARL clubs reunify next year and form a new body would it not be necessary to start a new national team? Surely the current administration would no longer have any claim to jurisdiction in the USA if they didn't have any clubs or any American stakeholders?

So.. My Middle School Kids once they learn the actual name of the positions they are playing (Some now 3 years and at least 4-6 'seasons') usually ask me who plays that position for the Rebellion, after I answer the next question out of their mouth is 'Can I meet Them' or 'Can they come down to a session and work with me' -- I tell them that even if the player cant make it to a session come to a home game an hour before kickoff and we'd be happy to show you some things. Or come to a Training Session about 15 minutes before we start and ill introduce you to them.
-- Now since its a world cup year and we try to have a few sessions in which we spend 15-20 minutes watching a game and give out at least 1 DVD with a few games from the past year on it from the NRL and SuperLeague. THis year I will hand out World Cup games.. What am I supposed to say to them when the ask who plays their position on the USA Team? To be honest right now I would not have a clue. Never mind the likelihood that these guys will never actually be in the USA nor come and help out with youth development programs. If that is not reason enough to think that reckless decisions have been made with regard to the US Team and the Governance of the Sport, than your clueless.

Last edited:
Larry, if the AMNRL and USARL clubs reunify next year and form a new body would it not be necessary to start a new national team? Surely the current administration would no longer have any claim to jurisdiction in the USA if they didn't have any clubs or any American stakeholders?

Depending on the deal that did or did not go through with tatam and I believe even star group the Tomahawks name could possible belong to those groups. If not the Name belongs to the AMNRL/David Niu and who would really want to pursue that. Depends upon what actually happened there.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Depending on the deal that did or did not go through with tatam and I believe even star group the Tomahawks name could possible belong to those groups. If not the Name belongs to the AMNRL/David Niu and who would really want to pursue that. Depends upon what actually happened there.
Who cares about the Tomahawks name? Start a new national team. Patriots or something. There's no way a bunch of Aussies can claim to be in charge of the USA national team if they don't have any clubs or any American players.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Its just weird that no one actually knows who's running the tomahawks, and that the rlif and wc committee dont want anyone asking!

As for reality, theres no way ur going to get a 2 thirds domestic squad. There doesnt need to be a rule in place either as to a domestic quota.

All you need is a board with the game's interests at heart.

You're always going to have guys like Paulo, Tui Samoa etc who qualify through american samoa heritage in the team, because they're bloody good players.

As for Matt Peterson, lets just remdmber that he did play in the qualifiers.

So, back to reality... It should be realistic that selectors pick a hand ful of local players, because the positives far out weigh the negatives of potentially letting in one or two extra tries.

The likes of samoa, tonga, png, fiji etc have acknowledged that.

Shame on Scotland, Cook Islands, USA for naming zero.

Who would have thought the USA could make italy look fair snd reasonable...

P.s. out of the millions that engage with the WC, less than 1% will have a clue about USA selection or domestic history. Doesnt make it right, but a shitty USA squad shouldnt prevent us from enjoying the WC

Last edited:

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Well this puts a bit of a downer on things, I was really starting to anticipate good things, but seeing first the Scottish side, no the USA side....

well I am a rugby league fan so i am conditioned to this. But 12 auto qualifiers + 2 more was the start of it going sour.

The USARL's biggest selling point would have to occur now... play for the AmNRL and your spot is still meaningless. If they can convince all of the AmNRL players to switch, they'd have to be recognised as the national body, and they can establish a national team mandate.

As far as floggings go... that's why they're not a super pool team.

I'd rather guys with American accents lose by 60 than a no-hoper like McGoldrick lose by 32.

Springs

First Grade
So now Brian Smith has quit.

I thought there would be a lot of heritage or residency players but I thought at least Cunz and Pope would be there. I don't see any benefits in not selecting them.

Springs

First Grade
From what I can see there are 5 players that play in Australian comps lower than NSW/QLD Cup. And one from New Zealand lower comp. If these 6 were replaced by American domestics that we all thought would be in the squad then there would be 14 players from the USA or are playing in the USA.

Evil Homer

Staff member
From what I can see there are 5 players that play in Australian comps lower than NSW/QLD Cup. And one from New Zealand lower comp. If these 6 were replaced by American domestics that we all thought would be in the squad then there would be 14 players from the USA or are playing in the USA.
Yeah, if they'd replaced those bush league players with Americans then everyone would be happy, and the squad wouldn't suffer at all. It's just pure stupidity and I don't blame Smith for not wanting to be involved with these idiots.

JaxAxeSupporter

Juniors
Here is the list with their clubs.

Mark Cantoni (Dalby), Andrew Durutalo (USA Eagles), Bureta Faraimo (Mackay Cutters), Gabriel Farley (Southampton Dragons), Kristian Freed (Connecticut Wildcats), Mike Garvey (Ipswich Jets), Roman Hifo (Mangere East Hawks, New Zealand), Danny Howard (Wentworthville), Stephen Howard (Tuggeranong Vikings), Luke Hume (New York Knights), Judah Lavulo (Cabramatta), Joel Luani (Wests Tigers), David Marando (Belrose), Ryan McGoldrick (Salford), Clint Newton (Penrith), Mark Offerdahl (Connecticut Wildcats), Joseph Paulo (Parramatta, capt), Junior Paulo (Parramatta), Craig Priestly (Southampton Dragons), Matt Petersen (Cudgen Hornets), Tui Samoa (Redcliffe Dolphins), Matt Shipway (Newcastle), Les Soloai, Lelauloto Tagaloa (Hawaii Chiefs).

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
A the end of the day it all boils down to what the USA can hope to gain from the cup versus what the cup hopes to gain from the USA. To be brutally honest, they are probably the spoon favourites (if such a thing exists in a world cup).

What can they bring to the world cup/what can the cup hope to get from them?

- A competetive representant from another continent ouside of the Europe/Oceania blocks.
- A team from a rich and powerful nation with huge potential for league if pursued properly.

What can they hope to get from the cup/what can the cup give them?

- A bigger profile in the USA via media exposure.
- Games against opposition of the highest level of ability.

Three out of four of these points can probably be linked to a strong team over a genuine team. It seems to me that, unfortunately for the purists, the priority at this stage of development is for a reasonably competitive team and thus a high number of heritage selections is a bitter pill that must be swallowed. Those that toil away during the domestic season and may miss out on selection can only hope that this self sacrifice for potential glory (or possibly a dash of shame after large floggings) will lead to more money, more publicity and a better domestic scene and better domestic players down the track.

Let's not forget this is the USA's first world cup. They have a lot of work to do to be in a position to send a solid home grown team into battle - reunification would be a good start.

Last edited:

mean_maori_mean

Juniors

Agreed - I realise some put their handup for qualifiers.
They should be viewed slightly differently.

But its a joke.

Roman Hifo - has played maybe 3 NSW cup games in his career. He used to be ok. Now is passed it - he has spent the last two years trying to play NSW cup to get in RLWC.

Yet - there is an actual American who played club league in New Zealand.
Joshua Rice - who really wasnt that far off Roman imo.

They played the same level.

How many people in that team have never been too the US? lol.

I would of thought pick the NRL & ESL players and then fill with locals.
Guys like Faraimo might kick on to NRL and be available for sometime.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Agreed - I realise some put their handup for qualifiers.
They should be viewed slightly differently.

But its a joke.

Roman Hifo - has played maybe 3 NSW cup games in his career. He used to be ok. Now is passed it - he has spent the last two years trying to play NSW cup to get in RLWC.

Yet - there is an actual American who played club league in New Zealand.
Joshua Rice - who really wasnt that far off Roman imo.

They played the same level.

How many people in that team have never been too the US? lol.

I would of thought pick the NRL & ESL players and then fill with locals.
Guys like Faraimo might kick on to NRL and be available for sometime.
Exactly. Pick the full time pros, pick the strong Queensland Cup players, pick the American Union players if you have to, but ringing in blokes from local Aussie park footy competitions is ridiculous. There are 5 or 6 players who have no business being in that squad and could easily be replaced by Americans with little to no loss in terms of what they will contribute on the field.

TBH, even if management won't do the right thing I wonder how the selected players feel about this. I know if I was called up to represent a nation I'd never been to on a tenuous link and was depriving a local player of similar ability a spot I'd feel kind of shitty, but I guess that's just me.

Edit: Quotes from Matt Elliott in this article about how domestic players are a must: http://www.amnrl.com/news/tomahawks-train-squad-

Last edited:
I just can't believe Apple Pope wasn't named! I watched a RLWC13 live video blog with a representative from each nation. Apple did a fantastic job representing his team and you could clearly see his passion...AND THEY DON'T EVEN PICK THEIR AMBASSADOR! WTF!

Latest posts