What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IAFETA PALEAAESINA....Gooooorne

mattyj

Juniors
Yeah, that is terrible that the Warriors are exempt from paying that fee. It just makes the NZ clubs want to affliate themselves to any other club bar the Warriors

Iafeta

Referee
It goes both ways though doesn't it Skinner? On Sunday, preceeding the Warriors game I saw Hame Lauaki, Tevita Latu and Evarn Tuimavave running around in Bartercard. Surely the skillsets they have learnt from their times would have been immensley invaluable, infact, not surely, definitely, because Hame Lauaki put on some class touches out there in particular. Each week there is 5-6-7 players back in Bartercard who are paid by the Warriors, educated by the Warriors. Those players may be playing in the NSWRL Premier League without the Warriors.

I remember early on in the piece, Daniel Anderson spent a lot of time educating Bartercard coaches as well. The Warriors could have said bugg#r it, but they didn't. Kempy to his credit also, I've heard him on Radio Sport while I was back in NZ publically telling Bluey McClennan any help the club could give to him, to give him a call, that the offer was and had always been there to any Bartercard coach.

Its not just the front liners either, the Warriors run a Development squad, whereby all those players are free to return to their Bartercard club, NJC team with no reprisal after spending quality time with quality coaches furthering their rugby league educations.

Also, in regards to this "fee", the Warriors in co-onjunction with the NZRL, but more particularly the Warriors set up a fee structure for Australian clubs to pay the Bartercard/NJC club the player was attributed to try and regain lost monies in player development.

In the case of Iafeta Paleaaesina, naturally with my sign in name I'd have to be one of his biggest fans. I can't blame Feka, I can't blame the Warriors, whats done is done and done fairly. Paleaaesina waited until he heard back from GB, and got an offer he couldn't refuse. Good on him. For those bagging the Warriors for over paying Wiki/Price, they are two of the very best bookends in the competition, on and off the field. Price I know for a fact since he's been injured has been working meticulously with Paleaaesina and Villasanti, Paleaaesina in particular in developing a side step/change of direction, which I noted he used several times against Brisbane. As for Ruben Wiki, he was the last player out of the after match function conversing with the fans, taking photos, signing autographs, kissing elderly women etc.

Whats done is done, I'm not particularly happy we've lost Iafeta Paleaaesina, but he had a fair choice to make in his life, and he made it. The club offered him a fair deal, if they were to try and match Wigan's surely we'd have lost 3-4 other players, imagine if we'd had to shed Ropati, Mannering, Vatuvei and Louis Anderson to keep him - you lot would be crying blue murder and asking for Watson to bugger off. Its a lose lose situation for him and the club, but what else could he do?

To Iafeta Paleaaesina, good luck in your future ventures. You deserve the very best for yourself, you've done the club proud on and off the field. Thank you for the memories.

AuckMel

Bench
Skinner said:
True, but why would they not sit back and reap the benefits of idiotic
decisions made by Australasian administrators. It's the grass roots clubs
that I feel desperately sorry for. In Iafeta's case there are two clubs involved, Otara and Papatoetoe. Both of these clubs are the epitomy of bones of the bum......and neither shall receive a cent of development money back, simply because Iafeta (or his folks) signed a piece of paper for the Warriors.

I will never, ever, understand why the bloody Warriors are not obliged to pay
a fee to any NZ club.

I am sure they are more than happy to receive a fee from Wigan for the lad.

Skinner

I hear ya mate.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Hang on, Skinner. I think the "development fee" issue should be addressed by the NRL or even the NZRL (if they ever got a back bone and a brain), not the Warriors.

If you were managing a privately run business, you wouldn't go handing out development fees to every raw production line you got your product from. You'd be f**king broke in no time. And the emphasis is on "raw". In the end, the Warriors would be the ones to bring these players up to NRL standard.

The Warriors aren't in charge of all of NZ's junior development, so they shouldn't be accountable for it. If the NZRL had some teeth and a big dick, they would demand money from the NRL & ESL for the on going rape of NZ's juniors to lands far off.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Iafeta said:
It goes both ways though doesn't it Skinner? On Sunday, preceeding the Warriors game I saw Hame Lauaki, Tevita Latu and Evarn Tuimavave running around in Bartercard. Surely the skillsets they have learnt from their times would have been immensley invaluable, infact, not surely, definitely, because Hame Lauaki put on some class touches out there in particular. Each week there is 5-6-7 players back in Bartercard who are paid by the Warriors, educated by the Warriors. Those players may be playing in the NSWRL Premier League without the Warriors.

I remember early on in the piece, Daniel Anderson spent a lot of time educating Bartercard coaches as well. The Warriors could have said bugg#r it, but they didn't. Kempy to his credit also, I've heard him on Radio Sport while I was back in NZ publically telling Bluey McClennan any help the club could give to him, to give him a call, that the offer was and had always been there to any Bartercard coach.

Its not just the front liners either, the Warriors run a Development squad, whereby all those players are free to return to their Bartercard club, NJC team with no reprisal after spending quality time with quality coaches furthering their rugby league educations.

Also, in regards to this "fee", the Warriors in co-onjunction with the NZRL, but more particularly the Warriors set up a fee structure for Australian clubs to pay the Bartercard/NJC club the player was attributed to try and regain lost monies in player development.

In the case of Iafeta Paleaaesina, naturally with my sign in name I'd have to be one of his biggest fans. I can't blame Feka, I can't blame the Warriors, whats done is done and done fairly. Paleaaesina waited until he heard back from GB, and got an offer he couldn't refuse. Good on him. For those bagging the Warriors for over paying Wiki/Price, they are two of the very best bookends in the competition, on and off the field. Price I know for a fact since he's been injured has been working meticulously with Paleaaesina and Villasanti, Paleaaesina in particular in developing a side step/change of direction, which I noted he used several times against Brisbane. As for Ruben Wiki, he was the last player out of the after match function conversing with the fans, taking photos, signing autographs, kissing elderly women etc.

Whats done is done, I'm not particularly happy we've lost Iafeta Paleaaesina, but he had a fair choice to make in his life, and he made it. The club offered him a fair deal, if they were to try and match Wigan's surely we'd have lost 3-4 other players, imagine if we'd had to shed Ropati, Mannering, Vatuvei and Louis Anderson to keep him - you lot would be crying blue murder and asking for Watson to bugger off. Its a lose lose situation for him and the club, but what else could he do?

To Iafeta Paleaaesina, good luck in your future ventures. You deserve the very best for yourself, you've done the club proud on and off the field. Thank you for the memories.

Nice to see somebody who's actually made an effort to understand what's going on make a rational assesment of the situation instead of the usual "sack Watson" knee-jerk dummy spitting.

mattyj

Juniors
Iafeta said:
imagine if we'd had to shed Ropati, Mannering, Vatuvei and Louis Anderson to keep him - you lot would be crying blue murder and asking for Watson to bugger off. Its a lose lose situation for him and the club, but what else could he do?

You dont have to let those guys go.

What about having the club actually make some choices about who they actually want as a prop. We currently have 6 props who are all keen to get a look in and it looks like were trying to keep them all happy. Why dont they let Temata and Ervan go and back Wiki, Price, Iaftea and Villa as their props? We dont need 6. Why let the prop who is 23 and has 3 years on NRL under his belt go. He has 8-10 years in him as a prop from now.

Why did the club not think about this last year,nothing has changed, how hard is it?. Extend his contact at the end of last year when all the players were shaking in their boots about their security after a awful season (and as players their stocks were down).

Iafeta was good last year but there was still questions about his consistency and we could of extended his contract for much less than what he is asking for now less than a year later. Jeez, Iaftea would of jumped at the chance of locking up his future when another two props were just signed, especially if Watson had given him the indication that he would start him over top of Price/Wiki in their final year, then when they leave bump up his salary considerably and then he's the cornerstone of the Pack for the following 10 or so years.All that and the chance to stay at home with his whanau, Iafeta would have signed that in a heartbeat, its not bloody rocket science:? .

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
mattyj said:
What about having the club actually make some choices about who they actually want as a prop. We currently have 6 props who are all keen to get a look in and it looks like were trying to keep them all happy. Why dont they let Temata and Ervan go and back Wiki, Price, Iaftea and Villa as their props? We dont need 6. Why let the prop who is 23 and has 3 years on NRL under his belt go. He has 8-10 years in him as a prop from now.

You would find that Paleaasina has obviously left. Ervarn has reportedly been told that he can look elsewhere before june 30 (thursday), Villa has been reportedly going to Warrington or to join Guttenbeil and Jones and UTC. And there was a comment in the warriors vs broncos game that im surprised none of you picked up on "temata, fighting for his future it seems" i believe Ropati or McIvor said that.

That leaves Wiki and Price, Price is injured for the season, and there is no complaints about them except for their age.

But look at the other 4 options.....Villa, hes a shadow of what he used to be, Ervarn isnt starting material, Paleaasina has gone and Temata is more of a 2nd row.

With that being said, i think the only way Kemp and Watson are going to keep any of them would be to play Paleaasina off the bench, start Villa and have ervarn/temata on the bench.

But who are our options on the market for props? Galloway? Dumas? Perry? C Smith? Sargent? Logan? Geddes? J Cayless? Payten? Laffranchi?

Lets be realistic, Galloway is already being chased, Dumas would be handy, Perry is a cat, Smith is old, Sargent would be good to rotate from Villa/Price/Wiki, Logan is going great at souths, Geddes is injury prone, Cayless is being offered the big dollars from ESL, Payten and Laffranchi i couldnt see joining us.

If Betham leaves, we will need a second rower, if he doesnt then we are fine.

I would also hope we are considering a proper 5/8 because ropo is going great at centre as is hohaia at hooker. I would be very pleased if we get can get Marcus Perenara back from the Eels. Eels also have Johnny Morris off contract, he may be worth chasing.

My suggestion would be to get a prop either Scott Logan or Mitchell Sargent or even roll the dice at J Cayless and a 5/8 either Marcus Perenara (preferbly) or Johnny Morris

Watson should realise Price and Wiki aren't getting any younger they are both over 30 and I am sure letting go of Feka will come back to bite us hard in the future.

ozbash

Referee
pretty sickening stuff imo,

scariest part is that i,m getting used to it.

watson is squeezing the life out of our club.

ozbash

Referee
da mad maori said:
Well, you all receved an early warning that this would happen. Three weeks ago.[pats shoulder]

yep, you did too. hoped you were wrong at the time but i guess the guy has to take care of himself.

daniel anderson said ( when they were raving on about feka living with monty and going cold turkey on the KFC) that feka was one of the most promising forwards he had ever seen.

why then didnt the new,improved iafeta get the game time other sides feared and he deserved ?

buggered if i can work it out.

speaking of DA, he gave 3 people huge wraps, ali, feka and simon mannering.

2 down.......

lyon is a saint

Juniors
I told you about this months ago but he was going too saints at that point because Millward was in charge.

You lot told me he had signed a new contract and i was talking rubbish.

Iafeta

Referee
ozbash said:
yep, you did too. hoped you were wrong at the time but i guess the guy has to take care of himself.

daniel anderson said ( when they were raving on about feka living with monty and going cold turkey on the KFC) that feka was one of the most promising forwards he had ever seen.

why then didnt the new,improved iafeta get the game time other sides feared and he deserved ?

buggered if i can work it out.

speaking of DA, he gave 3 people huge wraps, ali, feka and simon mannering.

2 down.......

Its ironic you point out Daniel's comment, because it is probably Daniel Anderson who was the biggest prevention in Feka getting regular game time. I've no idea how come he kept starting Jerry Seu Seu and Mark Tookey, game after game after game when it became very apparent following the 2002 season that seemingly neither gave a rats A and their performances were dreadful. Its also ironic in Daniel's instance that he chose to drop Paleaaesina to Bartercard for reasons only known to himself last season, despite the glaryingly disgraceful form of one Jerry Seu Seu. That for mine is the beginning of this tragedy, thats the root cause right there.

In fairness to Tony Kemp and the current regime, Iafeta Paleaaesina has gained more minutes and more game time. In regards to season 2005, it was always going to be difficult for him to get big minutes behind 60 and 70 minute props. Perhaps the answer was to shed Monty Betham to the side and play Ruben Wiki in his more familiar back row position, then again, for mine, Ruben's move to prop has been nothing short of outstanding and when Price and Wiki were together there was certainty no better combination in the NRL.

In fairness to management, I suspect in some respects they foresaw Feka's growing value and therefore pushed a fellow promising up and comer in Evarn Tuimavave onto the open market prior to June 30 to try and ensure funds for Feka's upgrade. No one signed the Junior Chief.

What bothers me most is the fact that at 2005's end we lose Stacey Jones, Iafeta Paleaaesina, I understand Guttenbeil whom I might give a darn big credit to for his last performances which have been tremendous in taking responsibility from Prices loss, and that we also lost Leuluai and Anderson after the conclusion of 2004. I'm not sure how with all that lost salary cap we're unable to resign Feka, or sign other players. Thats my primary concern I guess. Perhaps the likes of Byrne etc have substantial second year increases? I honeslty hope thats not the case and the club is severely foxing us into believing we're not going to be active in the market when in actual fact we will be.

I'm sure the club though in this instance fought hammer and tong to save Feka to the Warriors, I'm very sure they also see the potential, perhaps in hindsight they should have secured his signature at the beginning of the year rather than try and salvage it late in the piece when clearly they were never going to compete with Wigan.

AliN

Live Update Team
We missed your rational comments Iafeta, bugga ya :)

Good on Feka for looking after himself, and good luck to him in England. There's plenty of his mates over there already so he shouldn't get homesick.

JJ

Immortal
yup - don't see how the kid could turn down a contract like that. At the end of the day it's a job, and what would you do?

mahanga

Juniors
I dont know why they kept him on the bench week in ,week out. To say he was an excellent impact player....What a lot of crap!!!!!!

Good luck Feka I know you'll be happy in your new "Home"

Jerry will make sure of that.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Does anyone actually know what sort of money Wigan are paying him? I don't really feel it's appropriate to pass judgement without knowing that.

Scott

Bench
$1.5 million over 3 years or close enough to that. Watson is right, no other NRL Club can offer that, but he should of been signed up with the Warriors months ago! That is the bottom line.

In saying that, i'll look forward to watching him for Wigan. They need something after their recent results!

Latest posts