What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ICC test and odi teams of the year

JJ

Immortal
http://www.icc-cricket.com/news/201...test-and-odi-teams-of-the-year-2014-announced

ICC Test and ODI Teams of the Year 2014 announced

Steyn and Dhoni named in Test and ODI sides for seventh year in a row, respectively
62353.jpg
Angelo Mathews was chosen as the captain of ICC Test Team of the Year.

The ICC today announced its Test and ODI Teams of the Year, as chosen by a specially appointed selection panel chaired by the ICC’s Cricket Committee chairman and former India captain Anil Kumble.

The announcement was made by Mr Kumble at a media conference at the ICC Headquarters in Dubai, where ICC Chief Executive David Richardson also announced the short-lists for the LG ICC Awards 2014. This year’s winners will be announced via a media release on 14 November, while a special TV show, which will recap the last year in world cricket and also include interviews with many nominees and winners, will be broadcast on 15 November.

ICC Test Team of the Year 2014 (in batting order):

David Warner (Aus)
Kane Williamson (NZ)
Kumar Sangakkara (SL)
AB de Villiers (SA)
Joe Root (Eng)
Angelo Mathews (SL) (captain)
Mitchell Johnson (Aus)
Stuart Broad (Eng)
Dale Steyn (SA)
Rangana Herath (SL)
Tim Southee (NZ)
Ross Taylor (NZ) (12th man)

Sri Lanka’s Angelo Mathews has been named as the captain of the side that also includes two more Sri Lankans in Kumar Sangakkara and Rangana Herath. This is the seventh time since 2006 that Sangakkara has been selected in the ICC Test Team of the Year. He missed out on selection in 2009 and 2013.

Dale Steyn has also been selected for a record seventh successive year in the ICC Test Team of the Year, while his team-mate AB de Villiers has been selected for the fifth time (2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014).

Stuart Broad (2009, 2011 and 2012) and Mitchell Johnson (2009) are the other players who have previously been selected in the ICC Test Team of the Year.

ICC ODI Team of the Year 2014 (in batting order):

Mohammad Hafeez (Pak)
Quinton de Kock (SA)
Virat Kohli (Ind)
George Bailey (Aus)
AB de Villiers (SA)
MS Dhoni (wicketkeeper) (captain)
Dwayne Bravo (WI)
James Faulkner (Aus)
Dale Steyn (SA)
Mohammad Shami (Ind)
Ajantha Mendis (SL)
Rohit Sharma (Ind) (12th man)

India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni has been selected in the ICC ODI Team of the Year for the eight time (seventh year in a row), while it is the fifth year that he has been appointed captain.

Players to be previously selected in the ICC ODI Team of the Year are de Villiers (2010, 2011 and 2013), Virat Kohli (2012) and Ajantha Mendis (2009).

The Chairman of the LG ICC Awards Selection Panel, Anil Kumble, added: “I would like to congratulate all the players for their selection in the teams of the year. It is an achievement to be proud of and a recognition for their good performances in the qualifying period.

“Team selection is one of the toughest jobs and when you have a large pool of outstanding players to select from in a 12-month period between 26 August 2013 and 17 September 2014, then it becomes even more difficult.

“However, we think we have selected the best possible sides, which are well balanced and capable of beating any side on any given day in any given conditions. While selecting these squads, the selectors discussed various combinations and took into account several scenarios like opposition, pitch conditions and match situations.”

Kumble was joined on the panel by Jonathan Agnew, a former England international and now a respected broadcaster/journalist, ex-Sri Lanka opener Russel Arnold, former New Zealand captain Stephen Fleming, and Betty Timmer, former Chair of the ICC Women’s Committee.

Statistics were available as a guide but were not necessarily the overwhelming factor in the choices made.
Pretty good job imo, obviously Younis would be in for Root if the team was chosen now...

Nonetheless, pretty good and indicative of how even cricket is atm, no obvious missions for me, the three unlucky (IMO and off the top of my head)for the test team (excluding Pakistan's recent tests) are Taylor, Steve Smith and Trent Boult.

I imagibe Aussies will suggest more of you should be in test team - but Warner and Johnson are standouts, Steve Smith and Ryan Harris would be considered, but beyond that there's not much ti discuss really

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
I imagibe Aussies will suggest more of you should be in test team - but Warner and Johnson are standouts, Steve Smith and Ryan Harris would be considered, but beyond that there's not much ti discuss really

Yeh how Glen Maxwell didnt make it is beyond me :roll:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
A few surprises for me.

Matthews test captain ?

Tim Southee ?

and George Bailey in the ODI team of the year ? he cant even get in the Aussie team atm and its still 2014

Pretty silly naming the team before the 2014 southern hemisphere summer.

Iafeta

Referee
A few surprises for me.

Matthews test captain ?

Tim Southee ?

and George Bailey in the ODI team of the year ? he cant even get in the Aussie team atm and its still 2014

Pretty silly naming the team before the 2014 southern hemisphere summer.

Southee over the past 3 calendar years has taken 83 wickets at 24.79.

JJ

Immortal
Southee has been excellent, twizzle

Mathews too, no problem with him as captain, or de Villiers

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He's no 7 in the rankings and Harris is no 2.

Would have gone for Sanga as skipper but thats just me.

Iafeta

Referee
His ranking is more because of a poor start to his test career. His last three years he has been world class. Not even sure how his selection is debatable tbh.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Harris has been even better and didn't get a look in, quiet easy to debate that one.

JJ

Immortal
twizzle, there is a reason Southee and Boult have been charging up the rankings, they've been outstanding... Southee (IMO) is not the luck one here... for the record (and as the selectors say, stats only part of it, so perhaps Harris' fragility was part of it, who knows... I think he's tremendous, like Bond, unfortunately we'll never see enough of him at this level... but he probably hasn't been better than Southee over this period - Broad is another question though

Huge Harris fan here - but over the period in question in my order of performance:
Johnson 8 tests, 59 wickets at 15.2
Steyn 10 tests, 51 wickets at 21.98
Southee 8 tests 40 wickets at 20.5
Harris 8 tests 32 wickets at 23.21
Boult (just cause I think he's good) 10 tests, 42 wickets at 25.5
Broad 12 tests 42 wickets at 26.7

Broad's batting not needed in a world XI, imo he's the debatable one, with Harris and Boult both ahead in my books

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I meant to mention Broad as well, obviously the token pom.

As you know I'm not a stat man, how can you compare his wickets to say Harris or anyone else. Who was he playing against, what was the pitch like, were they first or second innings wickets, were they top order or tail enders ?

What you have offered is raw unanalysed data, not stats.

I haven't seen much of Southee recently but never rated him when I saw him a few years back. Military medium gentle outswing with f**k all variation, not very tall and not much bounce. If he has improved well good on him, like to have another look at him and see how he goes now days.

JJ

Immortal
I meant to mention Broad as well, obviously the token pom.

As you know I'm not a stat man, how can you compare his wickets to say Harris or anyone else. Who was he playing against, what was the pitch like, were they first or second innings wickets, were they top order or tail enders ?

What you have offered is raw unanalysed data, not stats.

I haven't seen much of Southee recently but never rated him when I saw him a few years back. Military medium gentle outswing with f**k all variation, not very tall and not much bounce. If he has improved well good on him, like to have another look at him and see how he goes now days.
1. Yes, they said they looked in more detail, beyond the stats... so that was accounted for in their selections (opinions notwithstanding)
2. Southee has improved greatly, no question - he had huge wraps as a kid. Obviously the current test is a bit different, no pace bowlers are likely to do well, yours didn't either - to be fair, Southee and Boult seemed to at least be tight

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Notch went OK.

Opinions are subjective as you know, if he has improved thats a good thing. I'd like to see him bowl again.

He would lack the pace and bounce to worry the Pakis over there but I'm sure he'd do alot better over the ditch.

8Ball

First Grade
Broad's selection is just weird. I'd like to know what the criteria was. Did they need to include an all rounder? Mathews is there to provide a 4th seam option. Johnson's batting this year hasn't been enough to warrant number 7.

Other than that, I don't have an issue with the team.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Mitchell Johnson wins ICC cricketer of the year for second time

FAST bowler Mitchell Johnson has won the top individual honour in the International Cricket Council’s annual awards.

The 33-year-old paceman won the ICC cricketer of the year award, as well as Test cricketer of the year for 2014.

He took 59 Test wickets at 15.23 in the voting period from August 26, 2013, until September 17 this year, with his performances instrumental in helping Australia regain the Ashes with a 5-0 sweep of England and then winning a series in South Africa.

Johnson, who also won the award in 2009, is only the second dual winner after former Australia captain Ricky Ponting.

“Aggressive fast bowlers are something you’d have seen back in the day with the likes of (Dennis) Lillee and (Jeff) Thomson,” Johnson said in a statement.

“It’s nice to be able to contribute and do the job that I’ve always thought I’ve been able to do.

“I suppose it comes down to the attitude I’ve got, the belief and the confidence.

“I’m very happy with where I am at the moment and I want to keep getting better as a cricketer.”

Other previous winners since the inception of the award in 2004 include Sachin Tendulkar, Kumar Sangakkara and Michael Clarke.

South Africa’s AB de Villiers was voted the one-day international player of 2014.

England wicketkeeper Sarah Taylor was named women’s player of the year.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-for-second-time/story-e6frg7rx-1227123638546

Congrats to Notch

TheParraboy

Staff member
He really has become consistent, and a massive part of our attack, especially if Pattinson and Rhino are out injured

I reckon that year of he had off injured, plus having a kid changed him massively. Along with Billys guidance.

Best fast bowler in world cricket today :clap:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Yeah good on him. I think most of us here wrote him off and he probably deserved the criticism. But to come back the way he did from being totally horrendous to easily the best in the world ATM is very impressive. It's also a little sad that he's really the only genuine fast bowler in the game ATM. Steyn is still very very good but has dropped a yard of pace. No one else is in that 145k plus bracket.

JJ

Immortal
Yeah good on him. I think most of us here wrote him off and he probably deserved the criticism. But to come back the way he did from being totally horrendous to easily the best in the world ATM is very impressive. It's also a little sad that he's really the only genuine fast bowler in the game ATM. Steyn is still very very good but has dropped a yard of pace. No one else is in that 145k plus bracket.

I certainly thought he was rubbish, but he's been staggeringly good for quite a while now... well deserved :clap: