What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ICC World Test Championship 2017

Helmet Man

Juniors
Apparently this is going to replace the Champions Trophy. Looking forward to it in 4 years. Good initiative

TheParraboy

Staff member
There was talk of a test championship trophy/ world cup 3-4 years ago, scheduled for 2013. Im pretty sure I did a thread about it then. Success and paranoia of 20/20 probably delayed this event. Hopefully its locked in. The best 4 test nations in 2017 (success over the next 4 year) will play in the tournament. We should make it :sarcasm:

Who wont be there? Be a very different side, though our pace bowling should be in its absolute prime with Pattinson, Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood all could be world class by then if they stay fit

RHCP

Bench
I think it's a great concept.

Are they going to bring back timeless Tests for necessary games? Or is it a first past the post deal, no 'final'?

I mean honestly, it's going to be a 4 team, 3 game knock out tournament to decide a champion. Can you think of any other sports that crown their champions like that? What's the point?

It's funny how people whinge nonstop when a test series isn't at least 3 matches long but they're now all excited about teams playing 1 off matches against each other? :? Is this really Test Cricket?

And deciding who gets in by the ICC rankings? f**k me dead. Countries play uneven amount of tests and an uneven amount against certain teams.

Timeless tests? Are you kidding me? The last one was like 70 years old ago. So basically this World Test Championship that is meant to crown the champion of Test Cricket and be a celebration of Test Cricket will actually embrace nothing that Test Cricket is actually about?

I don't know what will be funnier, if it rains nonstop in England for the first one or India missing out which will make the TV broadcasters very pleased.

Usually I'm a little pissed off when Australia get f**ked over by the tournament scheduling but I don't think I'm going to lose much sleep about not getting this sham of a concept. This is going to flop and it deserves to IMO.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The reality is that cricket is a 5 day game, you expect them to run it like like to football World Cup ?

RHCP

Bench
We have endless limited overs tournaments, I think it's a good call that real cricket should get the tournament treatment. Apart from the Ashes, there isn't a really 'big' event in Test cricket.

The reality is that cricket is a 5 day game, you expect them to run it like like to football World Cup ?

I didn't expect them to do it like the Football World Cup. I didn't expect them to do it at all. There is a reason there has never been a proper World Cup for Test Cricket and that's because IT DOES NOT WORK! That is the reality, something like this for Test Cricket is not feasible.

We have endless limited overs tournaments, I think it's a good call that real cricket should get the tournament treatment. Apart from the Ashes, there isn't a really 'big' event in Test cricket.

I'd hardly call 4 teams, 3 games a "tournament" if we're being honest. Yeah, the Ashes is pretty much the only thing Test Cricket has going for it right now. Pretty sad isn't it?

I knew Test Cricket was in deep trouble but if some people actually think a gimmick like this World Test Championship is actually going to save it then it is in far bigger trouble then I first thought.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't expect them to do it like the Football World Cup. I didn't expect them to do it at all. There is a reason there has never been a proper World Cup for Test Cricket and that's because IT DOES NOT WORK! That is the reality, something like this for Test Cricket is not feasible.

how can you say it doesn't work if its never been done ? :crazy:

how can you say it doesn't work if its never been done ? :crazy:

Because I've looked at the concept of it and like anyone who doesn't have their head up their ass I have worked out that it's a garbage idea.

This World Test Championship is basically the opposite to what Test Cricket is and is meant to be about. I'm surprised at the number of stupid merkins who are falling for this gimmick. Test Cricket is in some serious shit if this is the best they're coming up with. But then again Test Cricket is probably a lost cause at this point.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Are you even a cricket fan??? Really i've never seen a postive post from you on the game.

Are you even a cricket fan??? Really i've never seen a postive post from you on the game.

I am still one but I was a huge Cricket fan once who over the last few years has lost a lot of interest and passion for the game, mainly because of the way it is run by administrators. I can see where Cricket is heading in this country and in general and every time I think about it sucks a little more passion out of me. In a year or two I could very well be done with top level Cricket.

vvvrulz

Coach
I like the concept of having some sort of a test championship, but a little tournament with three matches just doesn't work at all.

Even a champion team can drop a test, Australia in their pomp would lose the odd match in a series but there was no doubt they were the best in the world. Losing a crucial toss on a damp morning in England is a huge disadvantage and one game is not enough to decide who is the better of the two.

If they really wanted to do it properly, it would have to be a league not a tournament of the top eight nations. Basically what they are doing now but with much more structure and organization so that over a period of say four years, everyone in the top eight would have played each other once in a 3 to 5 test series both home and away. The rankings would be measurable as everyone would have played the same amount of games.

I think the current system has intended for something like this but it doesn't seem to have a clear format and start/end date.

If you wanted a tournament with the top four, you need at least 2 home and 2 away tests for each match up to be truly fair, so 12 tests in total. Maybe even predetermine the toss so one team fields in one test and then bats in the next to take away the toss advantage. The winner would have to be dominant over 8 tests they will play, and there will be no doubt which is the best test team in the world then.

That would be a long tournament though... so its tricky, there is no obvious answer.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I like the concept of having some sort of a test championship, but a little tournament with three matches just doesn't work at all.

Even a champion team can drop a test, Australia in their pomp would lose the odd match in a series but there was no doubt they were the best in the world. Losing a crucial toss on a damp morning in England is a huge disadvantage and one game is not enough to decide who is the better of the two.

If they really wanted to do it properly, it would have to be a league not a tournament of the top eight nations. Basically what they are doing now but with much more structure and organization so that over a period of say four years, everyone in the top eight would have played each other once in a 3 to 5 test series both home and away. The rankings would be measurable as everyone would have played the same amount of games.

I think the current system has intended for something like this but it doesn't seem to have a clear format and start/end date.

If you wanted a tournament with the top four, you need at least 2 home and 2 away tests for each match up to be truly fair, so 12 tests in total. Maybe even predetermine the toss so one team fields in one test and then bats in the next to take away the toss advantage. The winner would have to be dominant over 8 tests they will play, and there will be no doubt which is the best test team in the world then.

That would be a long tournament though... so its tricky, there is no obvious answer.

Good idea, though wouldn't it be a lot more than 12 tests? as 12 tests would be for one side only?

I think it would be 24 test matches in total. If that was the case you would need a window of 6 months for them to be played, wouldn't be a bad thing 6 months every 4 years for a test championship only test cricket being played. Long tournament yes but think of it this way , no t20 crap, no useless ODI games, only test cricket :cool:

Cant see it happening though :(

vvvrulz

Coach
Good idea, though wouldn't it be a lot more than 12 tests? as 12 tests would be for one side only?

Oh I was thinking along the lines of knockout tournament there, so two semi final rounds and one final round, each with four tests.

If you did a round robin yes that would be 24 tests.

Like you said it won't happen, but that's how you would get an accurate test championship in a tournament format.

Horrie Is God

First Grade

I think it would be 24 test matches in total. If that was the case you would need a window of 6 months for them to be played, wouldn't be a bad thing 6 months every 4 years for a test championship only test cricket being played. Long tournament yes but think of it this way , no t20 crap, no useless ODI games, only test cricket :cool:

Cant see it happening though :(

The stuff wet dreams are made of..:D