What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"I'd rather be in Penrith"

GB Lion

Juniors
Can u post the article on the forum for the people who havent already registered for the SMH website.

bartman

Immortal
Luke Lewis is just a 19yo who didn't like Prague. I probably wouldn't either if it was my first time overseas and away from home?

The relevant bit of the article:
Rather Penrith than Prague
By Steve Mascord
November 7, 2004
The Sun-Herald

Prague has survived invasion, flood and famine but its reputation as one of Europe's most popular tourist destinations lies in ruin today - thanks to 21 footballers.

Not that the members of Australia's Tri-Nations squad offended their fellow tourists when they took a few days off in the Czech city during the week.

Instead, they returned to England early and declared the home of the Charles Bridge and Wenceslas Square "boring".

"None of us liked it," winger Luke Rooney told 2UE yesterday. "There was nothing to do. There were hardly any pubs, no TABs. I'd rather be in Penrith."

Those are quotes likely to rival Willie Mason's infamous Contiki Tour comment from last year.

Not everyone spent their time off in the Czech Republic. Prop Shane Webcke went to Scotland and a group of support staff decamped to Ireland.

Wayne Bennett went to Cambridge, team PR person Polly McCardell went to Rome and media representatives spent time in Barcelona, London and, ahem, Wigan.

Dogboy

Juniors
No pubs in Prague!?!

He mustn't have been looking very hard. That place is the beer drinking capital of Europe. You get half litres of some of the best beer you could imagine for about 50 cents, and the beer halls are everywhere.

Those sort of comments are an embarassment for the game.

bender

Juniors
How has someone saying that they prefer Penrith to another city bad news for international football. Wouldnt it be good news that the players preferred to return to England (where they could presumably concentrate on playing and training rugby league)?

B.L.L.G

Retired
Where's The Prague? It sounds dangerous like it's over run with the Plague.

I'm in the Liverpool district right now in NSW and i wouldn't want to be any where else.

Maybe Canada i don't know.

But this Prague joint doesn't sound to pleasant.

Don't they hang people there and isn't it dark 24/7?

Where ever it is it's unfit for human condition.

In-goal

Bench
Chech Rep. is were you will find Prague, it is the beer capital of the world as there is more beer drunk per head in the Chech Rep then any other nation on earth.

This is because there are to many Australians drinking Bourban and Lollie waters, bloody rumpsters.

MRLA

Juniors
bartman said:
Luke Lewis is just a 19yo who didn't like Prague. I probably wouldn't either if it was my first time overseas and away from home?
Just to ensure there is no confusion...
Huey is actually 21 and has never been to Prague.

On the other hand...
21-year-old, Luke 'Camel' Rooney is the man who made the comments.

JK

Rooney is a neanderthal so sultural appreciation is beyond his limited intellect. Football and Panthers Leagues Club fill up all his available brain cells.

I'll bet he was dreaming of a meat pie and sauce when dining in Prague :roll:

TownMarra

Juniors
I sometimes wonder if some of you on here have had an education, how can you not know where prague is??? did you do geography at school??

As for the Aussie team declaring 'there was hardly any pubs in prague' bloody hell, what where they doing?? I think the support staff had the best idea hopping over to ireland, the irish love their drink, the sup like fish, even the women can booze!!

Panthers_Gurl

First Grade
JK said:
Rooney is a neanderthal so sultural appreciation is beyond his limited intellect. Football and Panthers Leagues Club fill up all his available brain cells.

I'll bet he was dreaming of a meat pie and sauce when dining in Prague :roll:

:roll: :blahb:

Jiffy

Juniors
Untouchable said:
Where's The Prague? It sounds dangerous like it's over run with the Plague.

I'm in the Liverpool district right now in NSW and i wouldn't want to be any where else.

Maybe Canada i don't know.

But this Prague joint doesn't sound to pleasant.

Don't they hang people there and isn't it dark 24/7?

Where ever it is it's unfit for human condition.

When we see stuff like this and Shane Webcke thinking the Eiffel Tower was in England, you can see why we think of Aussies as being the thickest nation in the world