What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If Folau makes it in the AFL

stormbati

Bench
Will this have a positive or negative effect on the Nrl?

If he makes it big in the AFL I fear AFL clubs will be banging the door down. Let's face it, we all will be interested to see how he and Karmichael go. Other Nrl players will be keen to see and think, if they can I can(?)

Greenbits

Juniors

If he makes it big in the AFL I fear AFL clubs will be banging the door down. Let's face it, we all will be interested to see how he and Karmichael go. Other Nrl players will be keen to see and think, if they can I can(?)

Not sure, but with cutie in their ear, it might be time to shut the door on their return. Future payments by the AFL won't be as generous. Young players won't switch codes for an extra $200k per year if they know if they fail, returning to league will not be an option.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I'm honestly not interesting in watching either of them play AFL. I'd rather watch the next up-and-coming star the Broncos bring through their system than endure the fumble and miss-kick orgy that is AFL.

perverse

Referee
on the plus side of the coin, if these blokes succeed in AFL then a few AFL supporters might start wondering about the sport that is producing these freak athletes.

i don't think it can be a black and white, good or bad type result. which ever way it goes, it will have its pluses and minuses.

Bluebags1908

Juniors

You can speak for yourself, but I won't be interested in the slightest. And there are plenty like me.

beads6

First Grade
If Izzy or cutie go well in AFL is makes the AFL look good but it also makes the NRL feel bloody damn good about the quality of athlete in the code. Also if they decide to stay in AFL they are looking at a pay cut because they will need to stay under the salary cap.

elbusto

Coach
It means he will go away and we will not have to see him again. Sounds fine to me. The NRL is on the verge of a great era if it can get its TV deal right. It has a massive advantage over the AFL with its SOO and International series.

Folau and Hunt will be meaningless names in 2 years and almost certainly will come crawling back if they cannot adjust to AFL.

Given what a dick of a game it is though I think they are both well suited to it.

The NRL is simply the better product.

Gaba

First Grade
I doubt people would be hearing much about cutie or folau, because afl isnt like league where individuals get notice.

So its wont effect nrl much , it will be more negative for afl imo

Canard

Immortal
Oh Gaba Ive finally realised after all these years your joking.

Thats quality.

Basically these a one(two) offs, new teams entering a comp being allowed to over spend there salary cap.

There just isnt this amount of money available going forward.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
it says more about the individual and his athletic ability, nothing to do with League

The Tank

Bench

I won't.

simostorm

Bench
We have been LOSING players to Union.. But NOW.. This!!! The AFL??

What a disgrace. Disgrace that the NRL admins have not done something to stop this rubbish from going on and stop him from leaving.

Anyone who thinks this is not a issue or that doesnt care is a idiot and most likely a NSWelshman.. which shows what truely ignorant NSW Rugby League supporters are.

DC_fan

Coach
I am not so sure its about getting anymore league players to switch codes. More about getting the young kids to play AFL from the very start.

The hope for the AFL will be that having two big name league players will draw attention to there game and young kids will want to play. The success or otherwise of Folaus and Hunts signing may not be known for 5 or 10 years.

Dazzat

First Grade
On a very minor scale, I tried what Falou is doing when I was the same age - 21.

I had played soccer and representative rugby league in high school. A good friend asked me to join an Aussie Rules team, which I did for two years.

I was a fullback in league - was in the top three sprinters in my class, and could kick the ball 50-60 metres - drop punt or torpedo. I found out when I tried aussie rules, that I could also take spekkies ... I could jump pretty high and take marks.

But I SUCKED at Aussie Rules because other players around me where two/three/four steps ahead of me when it came to positional play and tactics. You don't learn to fumble a ball, instinctively drop the ball when tackled, hand pass instead of pass, shephard the ball carrier, niggle off the ball, position your body in a mark contest ... in two years.

After two years of playing I gave it up as a bad joke.

Hunt and Falou will be back ... no doubt.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
On a very minor scale, I tried what Falou is doing when I was the same age - 21.

I had played soccer and representative rugby league in high school. A good friend asked me to join an Aussie Rules team, which I did for two years.

I was a fullback in league - was in the top three sprinters in my class, and could kick the ball 50-60 metres - drop punt or torpedo. I found out when I tried aussie rules, that I could also take spekkies ... I could jump pretty high and take marks.

But I SUCKED at Aussie Rules because other players around me where two/three/four steps ahead of me when it came to positional play and tactics. You don't learn to fumble a ball, instinctively drop the ball when tackled, hand pass instead of pass, shephard the ball carrier, niggle off the ball, position your body in a mark contest ... in two years.

After two years of playing I gave it up as a bad joke.

Hunt and Falou will be back ... no doubt.

I've played both codes as well, you can tell when people have played it from when they are a kid, as they read the play much better

I reckon thats where Hunt and Izzy will fail in the first few years

Canard

Immortal
We have been LOSING players to Union.. But NOW.. This!!! The AFL??

What a disgrace. Disgrace that the NRL admins have not done something to stop this rubbish from going on and stop him from leaving.

Anyone who thinks this is not a issue or that doesnt care is a idiot and most likely a NSWelshman.. which shows what truely ignorant NSW Rugby League supporters are.

We cant compete with 4.2M over 3 years in a long long while though. Thats a teams annual salary cap spent on one player.

As Tallis said how is another AFL player going to feel when he is on 500 or 600K playing with this Gumby.

Parra

Referee
These signings make no sense from a player recruitment perspective and not much more from a marketing perspective if anyone thinks that the AFL is targeting entrenched league fans.

But they make a whole lot of sense when you consider the message that is being sent out to kids and young players of rugby league. "If these blokes can have a go at aussie rules and succeed, then maybe I can too" - this is the benefit that the AFL reaps from these signings.

The message is not 'Aussie Rules is better'. It is that 'You can have a go at Aussie Rules, even if your background is rugby league". It makes Aussie rules a viable option where it was not one before. It is hard to start from real grass-roots. Create junior clubs, sign up five year olds and volunteers and establish a sport. But if the message to the kids and teenagers already playing league out there is "This is an option for you" then the grass roots just became easier and 10 years closer.

Also consider the message sent out to Islander kids who may not have thought that aussie rules was an option. The sport may now be on the radar for some of these kids.

If signing Hunt & Folau achieves either of these things then the money they are paid is peanuts compared to what it would cost to get this message out by other means.

aussie_q_factor

Juniors
As Broncos and Queensland supporter, I hope he never sees first grade or a maroon jersey again. Yes, it will hurt the Broncos (not so much QLD) but since the spineless, joke of an organization called the NRL doesn't have the balls to do anything these days; its up to the clubs. Won't happen though.

Tip to the NRL, a players goes to a rival sport, the player DOESN'T COME BACK EVER! SIMPLE. Izzy, you made your decision - now you will f&cking well have to live with it.
F#CK OFF YOU TURD! You are a disgrace the the great game that made you the star you are.

Glad I got that off my chest....