What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If Folau makes it in the AFL

intentcity

First Grade
Mate, a tackle in AFL is a lot, lot different to a Rugby League tackle. They couldn't evade/break a rugby league tackle. I doubt they'd even be able to take am NRL stlye tackle altogether.

not as different as you'd like to think, league tackles are mostly all from front on, you see the tackler and you brace for it, AFLs different in that area as you know, obviously the power/skill level of the "league tackle is higher, but you cant say that those boys i mentioned wouldnt be able to handle it, alfie langer was around the same size/build as ablett, he could certainly handle it couldnt he?, ablett/judd are good at avoiding/breaking tackles because they have great footwork and incredible strengh through the hips/shoulders and great balance, just like the elite league players have, as for the kicking thing, lol, these players can basiclly kick the ball 50 mtrs + and make the ball bounce any way they wish, left or right, either of those boys would be the best kick the NRL has seen, on either foot.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
excuse me?, just because i aint some biased league muppet doesnt mean i dont follow the game, i enjoy watching the stormers, i enjoy watching the broncos as well.

and it's just a coincidence all your posts are about AFL and you registered right after Folau signed with fumbleball

Zigwaa

Bench
not as different as you'd like to think, league tackles are mostly all from front on, you see the tackler and you brace for it, AFLs different in that area as you know, obviously the power/skill level of the "league tackle is higher, but you cant say that those boys i mentioned wouldnt be able to handle it, alfie langer was around the same size/build as ablett, he could certainly handle it couldnt he?, ablett/judd are good at avoiding/breaking tackles because they have great footwork and incredible strengh through the hips/shoulders and great balance, just like the elite league players have, as for the kicking thing, lol, these players can basiclly kick the ball 50 mtrs + and make the ball bounce any way they wish, left or right, either of those boys would be the best kick the NRL has seen, on either foot.

Just don't think they're built to take tackle after tackle like they'd need to in NRL. They could learn it and bulid muscle mass but it would be very foreign to them. NRL converts could get used to not being tackled without worry. The other way around would take a long time.

Of course they'd be the best kickers. That's why they go to NFL not NRL.

intentcity

First Grade
Just don't think they're built to take tackle after tackle like they'd need to in NRL. They could learn it and bulid muscle mass but it would be very foreign to them. NRL converts could get used to not being tackled without worry. The other way around would take a long time.

Of course they'd be the best kickers. That's why they go to NFL not NRL.

i just think they would have as much of a chance as a league player playing AFL if they converted at say 20yrs old, fact is no one knows really.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
All this pro RL chest beating is a little ill-conceived. As much as i hate AFL, its hard to think that only 2 states in Australia produce athletes with the pedigree to switch codes. I don't know much about AFL, but i'm sure some of their elite performers could probably make a switch.

perverse

Referee
All this pro RL chest beating is a little ill-conceived. As much as i hate AFL, its hard to think that only 2 states in Australia produce athletes with the pedigree to switch codes. I don't know much about AFL, but i'm sure some of their elite performers could probably make a switch.
i'm not sure what position they would play. there's certainly no halves or forwards running around. they would have the kicking game for the halves, but certainly not the smarts (hell, half the blokes who play RL their whole life don't gain the smarts). might be a couple capable of fullback, centre or wing if they were quick learners.

intentcity

First Grade

FWIW, i think a soccer player could adapt to Aussie rules as well, fact is sport is sport and only the very best athletes succeed at it.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
i'm not sure what position they would play. there's certainly no halves or forwards running around. they would have the kicking game for the halves, but certainly not the smarts (hell, half the blokes who play RL their whole life don't gain the smarts). might be a couple capable of fullback, centre or wing if they were quick learners.

Yeah i was going to say outside backs, since they have targeted ours... obviously they feel thats the one area where the transition would be easiest, you'd have to assume it goes the other way as well. I think they could be a decent enough 6 if they have a good step on them at all, theyre bound to have an ok long kicking game - however the passing element would need to be worked on, so maybe not in the halves.

intentcity

First Grade
tackling would be the hardest skill for them to learn, they'd want to learn quick to because im guessing every opposition player would be heading str8 for em.