What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If Folau makes it in the AFL

Big Mick

Referee
Here we go.

Wankers creating multiple accounts.

PLay in front of crowds of 5,000. Hmmm he regularly plays in front of crowds of 40,000 and since GWS will be lucky to get 10,000 at a game...its a big downgrade Victorian.

Chump.

And yeah I agree...earn millions of dollars to do nothing, play a sh!t game of Mens Netball and laugh all the way to the bank. Come back to league a millionaire!

Big Mick

Referee
How is Matty Johns and his orgi mates going? Sorry bro, I like to go about my posts in a brutal way.

Funny...not a multi...but said practically the same thing...hmmm yeah...

You call that Brutal?...you stupid Victorian merkin.

If you think that is brutal...no wonder AFL is such a pu$$y sport.

Bayer
BigFooty Bet Honourer

Hawthorn

Re: Suck on that NRL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seethus
We need to all band together as one and all create aliases on leaugue unlimited. They are going apesh*t over there, lets stir the hornets nest

Done.

My account is "Israel Says Ciao".

What do you guys reckon is the best approach to trolling them?

SweetLeftFoot

Juniors
These signings make no sense from a player recruitment perspective and not much more from a marketing perspective if anyone thinks that the AFL is targeting entrenched league fans.

But they make a whole lot of sense when you consider the message that is being sent out to kids and young players of rugby league. "If these blokes can have a go at aussie rules and succeed, then maybe I can too" - this is the benefit that the AFL reaps from these signings.

The message is not 'Aussie Rules is better'. It is that 'You can have a go at Aussie Rules, even if your background is rugby league". It makes Aussie rules a viable option where it was not one before. It is hard to start from real grass-roots. Create junior clubs, sign up five year olds and volunteers and establish a sport. But if the message to the kids and teenagers already playing league out there is "This is an option for you" then the grass roots just became easier and 10 years closer.

Also consider the message sent out to Islander kids who may not have thought that aussie rules was an option. The sport may now be on the radar for some of these kids.

If signing Hunt & Folau achieves either of these things then the money they are paid is peanuts compared to what it would cost to get this message out by other means.

Excellent post.

As a supporter of a small Victorian AFL club, I'm very much in two minds about this.

Anyway, the history of the Swans and the Brisbane Bears/Lions shows the AFL will happily rort the salary cap (and more) to try and make/keep their expansion sides successful.

There's is no way the GC and GWS expnasion sides will be allowed to fail so in this regard, I can see Hunt and Folau laughing all the way to the bank for a while yet.

If they make it that is. As some posters have noted, its very difficult to learn the intracies of reading the play etc.

But it can be done - there's guys playing senior AFL or who will soon who came to the game very late from other sports: Mike Pyke, Brad Moran, Todd Goldstein, Majak Daw.

Angry_eel

First Grade
I reckon they'll suck at it. RU is the closest to our game and our stars barely made a mark there and we're talking a completely different game here.

kickback

Juniors
Guys just wait and see, they could make hostory, they are putting alot on the line here, dont bring out the tall poppy syndrome just yet!!!

newyboy

Juniors
Maybe the smaller white boy who's Mum would not him play will now play the game. if AFL attracts all the Islander youths.

intentcity

First Grade
i think israel will make it, as in he'll be a required player but he'll never make the AFLs top 100 or anything, just a middle of the road player, hunt maybe a little different, he has a background in Aussie rules, he could end up being a very good player.

IMO slater/inglis would be a stars in the AFL, they can kick a sherrin and are very good movers with outstanding physical qualitys, but i also think (and i know ill get roasted for this) that Ablett/judd could be a stars in league, of coarse they'd need to bulk up though, slater/inglis/ablett/judd are supreme athletes, say what you like about AFL but i can tell you now, ablett and judd arnt exactly "soft", they have amazing evasive abilitys, speed to burn (especially judd) and are very strong through the hips (especially ablett), they can break tackles, and the other thing they have is composure under pressure and most importantly, they have great footwork, add 10kg of muscle to them and i think they'd surprise a lot of people on this forum, they are as slippery as they come.

Last edited:

intentcity

First Grade
no he doesn't

he played less than 10 games of it when he was at school

watch 3:50 into . he says it himself

yeah i know, but playing 10 games means he probably played a lot of kick to kick and such as a junior, doesnt mean much i know but when you learn a skill as a child you rarely forget it.

Zigwaa

Bench
i think israel will make it, as in he'll be a required player but he'll never make the AFLs top 100 or anything, just a middle of the road player, hunt maybe a little different, he has a background in Aussie rules, he could end up being a very good player.

IMO slater/inglis would be a stars in the AFL, they can kick a sherrin and are very good movers with outstanding physical qualitys, but i also think (and i know ill get roasted for this) that Ablett/judd could be a stars in league, of coarse they'd need to bulk up though, slater/inglis/ablett/judd are supreme athletes, say what you like about AFL but i can tell you now, ablett and judd arnt exactly "soft", they have amazing evasive abilitys, speed to burn (especially judd) and are very strong through the hips (especially ablett), they can break tackles, and the other thing they have is composure under pressure and most importantly, they have great footwork, add 10kg of muscle to them and i think they'd surprise a lot of people on this forum, they are as slippery as they come.

Mate, a tackle in AFL is a lot, lot different to a Rugby League tackle. They couldn't evade/break a rugby league tackle. I doubt they'd even be able to take am NRL stlye tackle altogether.

Latest posts