What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If Hornby wasn't needed at halfback

If you start off the season with the scenario of Hornby at fullback and Head at halfback, then there are many possibilities, but the most likely are:

Head will lose form, and Hornby will be forced to play halfback.
or
Head will get injured, and Hornby will be forced to play halfback.

or the preferred option.....
Both players will star in their respective positions, stay fit and stay put. :pray:

Unfortunately if Head does not work out, there is a big chance that Hornby will spend most of the season at halfback through necessity, as there is no obvious alternative to Head at halfback, but there are several options at fullback for us........

Cagey Mac

Bench
I don't think Benny will put Sowie and Head together in a starting lineup
Defensively it would be very high risk
Dare I say worse than Head and Marshall?
Who knows both or either of them could step up under a new defensive coach but I have doubts

Winger: He is too slow.

Centre: Not strong enough to tackle other centres in the game.

Hooker: If Priddis was injured or sucked. Yes Maybe.

Fullback: Pending if Nightingale or Boyd were going good.

Bench: Maybe..

Hornby will flourish under bennett in the middle of the field. He'll be taught how to be a better player, Brownie taught to a point.

Bennett will lift the standard higher. and thus enabling Ben to become a further asset for the next 3 or so years..

SilverSteeler

Juniors
That's what I think. That's what he was picked for in country origin and the first sate of origin match.

As we are discussing he can cover alot of positions so this could be an option. If any player is injured in the backline, we are covered with Hornby on the bench, either he fills the gap or there can be a shuffle of the backline. Plus he can backup Priddis or Young.

Red Bear

Referee
I think hornby has been ruined by Nathan Brown more than any other player. He was a very good fullback, thrown into halfback and for some reason not ever moved back, despite it being his best position.
Injuries were also a factor but it has been a bit tough on hornby.

I remember just before Head left for Hull FC, he was coming off the bench and replacing Hornby, then later in the 2nd half both would rotate between dummy half and 1st reciever. This seemed to work pretty well, any thoughts on that?

I know this thread is about Hornby possibly not being needed at halfback and what to do with him. But the fact is that at some stage during the season be it due to injury or form, he WILL be needed as halfback, and if he does the job at half for Bennett, and you would expect he will, he'll probably stay on there.

But I keep going back over the Head thing...why was he signed if we aren't going to try him as our first choice halfback???

And if Soward is considered the first choice at 5/8, then we ARE looking at a Soward/Head pairing to start the season with..

p.s. I thought Jamie's defence improved the longer he went last year (until he got injured and Browny pulled the pin on him that is...)

Heady's defence? Well you have to be able to run and catch someone before you can tackle them. That's the first challenge for him!

SET2JT

Juniors
I remember just before Head left for Hull FC, he was coming off the bench and replacing Hornby, then later in the 2nd half both would rotate between dummy half and 1st reciever. This seemed to work pretty well, any thoughts on that?
it didnt work in the semi against the storm and i dont think it will work with 2 many playmakers. i think all the short kicking should b left with head and the long kicking with soward/hornby.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
I could see no reason why Hornby wouldnt fit in the centres , some sides have former 2nd rows there , hornby could bring a new dimension in attack for the dragons from the centres, people are saying stanley or boyd to go into the centres so why not hornby
he hasnt got the strengh or speed to play that roll, these days centres have size and speed, Hornby hasnt any of that,
his better of running onto the ball from the back, thats when causes problems.
as for second rowers playing centre yes they have speed and size on them :)

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
Hornby as a centre is a joke. He's slow and can't tackle. He and Head should battle it out for half until Henry gets the gig which I hope will be sooner rather than later. The other two can then lead Shellharbour to a Reggies Premiership.
well said dubopov

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
Bring back Regal Reece!

Seriously, I do feel sorry for the Hornbag. He's as loyal as a hound, tries his guts out in every position he plays, but he's just not a superstar in any position. Decent enough as a half for a bloke thrown in the position due to a lack of options, but he's never going to be within cooe of the greats.

As a fullback, he's safe, gutsy and has great positional play. Unfortunately, he's not fast, he's got no real attacking flair one on one. He would be great being developed into the type of role Lockyer used to play at 1.

I think it would be a moral shame for him to be left out of the squad, but do we want a team of sentimental favourites, or a team of the best players for each position? Me, I'd like to see the Honker in the team, even on the bench as a replacement back. With a quick shuffle in the back line, he could fill a whole from 1-7, even at hooker if need be.
great to see quit a few agree with what im saying

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
Embracing the hypothetical theme of your thread watatank, what if we signed Karmichael Hunt or Billy Slater (ew) or Brett Stewart?

Truth is (imo) a player like Hornby is crucial in this salary capped competition. Loyal and versatile. Will accept unders to stick around the club he loves, and can play in a number of positions. He has pros and cons at both fullback and the halves as do the other candidates for those roles.
agreed godzilla, we need a player who can fill a few rolls and accepts unders

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
I think hornby has been ruined by Nathan Brown more than any other player. He was a very good fullback, thrown into halfback and for some reason not ever moved back, despite it being his best position.
who hasnt Brown ruined:shock:

SuperSoward

Juniors
I could see no reason why Hornby wouldnt fit in the centres , some sides have former 2nd rows there , hornby could bring a new dimension in attack for the dragons from the centres, people are saying stanley or boyd to go into the centres so why not hornby

Yea, why not. Give him a go. He should go alright. Loyal Dragon said centres need size and speed. It's good to have size and speed but ya dont need it. Hornby's not the slowest. Stanleys not that fast. Former 2nd rowers usually have size but they all dont have speed. Scott was a centre till he became a Dragon n hasn't got much speed. Creagh was and can play centre, not fast. Most 2nd row centres have some size but not much speed.

watatank

Coach
I know this thread is about Hornby possibly not being needed at halfback and what to do with him.

No. This thread isn't working out like I wanted it to :lol:

The thread is about

i) how much people here rate Hornby
ii) how important Hornby is to the team (from people's perspective)

Although I suppose I am getting a decent idea of both so it's not all bad.

watatank

Coach

Indeed. Hornby was and continues to be a victim of his own versatility. Our halves combinations in the past were never stable really, they never stayed on the field with the likes of Barrett, Head, Firman, Kerr and others being unable to put together a whole season at a time. That always resulted in Hornby playing all of fullback, five eighth, halfback and he has had cameos in a couple of other positions too. This year when there was no injuries Rangi Chase played himself out of a guaranteed five eighth position and Hornby had to move back there again. To his credit he has always filled in admirably but he never established himself to be much better than that, which is sad because he was (and IMO still is) a quality fullback.

EagleDragon

Juniors
i reckon hornby would play on the bench as #14 back utility. hes not too experienced at halfback but he siad he wants to play in the halves rather than fullback.i reckon the dragons need to get a beta 5/8. soward is a 2nd grade player, dragons need to purchase maybe mat rogers (quite cheap) or campese (not cheap) or even jaime lyon.