What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If not Madge, then who?

axl rose

Bench
We live in the Upside Down of what makes a club successful. Benjiman as coach..next on thier list was Alan Jones, Beau Ryan, Peter Pan who knows anymore. No-one even hates on Tigers anymore, just shake thier head in disbelief.

Last edited:

Ned Kelly

Juniors
From the Sydney Morning Herald

‘He’s a natural’: Marshall backed to thrive as a Tigers coach​

Caden Helmers

By Caden Helmers

July 15, 2022 — 5.16pm

Key points​

• Farah to team up with Marshall and Sheens
  • Ricky Stuart calls Tigers scheme a “smart plan”
Advertisement

Benji Marshall is being backed to thrive in the volatile world of NRL coaching as he and Robbie Farah prepare to rekindle a dream team under Tim Sheens to take the Wests Tigers back “where we belong”.
Sheens will return to coach the Tigers for the next two years with Farah and Marshall as his understudies before the latter steps in as head coach from 2025-27.
https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/javascript:void(0);

Benji signs mega deal to coach Tigers

Wests Tigers legend Benji Marshal has signed a long-term deal to coach his beloved club.
Farah and Marshall played under Sheens in the 2005 premiership triumph, which stands as the joint venture’s only grand final win.
Marshall’s rapid ascension through the coaching ranks brings with it an element of risk given he has never coached, but Farah is confident the bold move can pay off for a club desperately trying to reverse its fortunes.

Tigers officials reached out to Farah last week to gauge his interest on joining Marshall under Sheens’ new regime and the 303-game veteran “couldn’t say no”. He is excited by the prospect of re-establishing the Tigers style of football and turning a junior nursery into a production line for NRL talent.
“It was just too appealing a project for me to knock back. Sheensy brought us through as young kids, and now to have the opportunity to have him as a mentor in a coaching capacity and learn from one of the best ever, and help turn our club around, it’s really exciting,” Farah said.
Robbie Farah and Benji Marshall will join forces under Tim Sheens.

Robbie Farah and Benji Marshall will join forces under Tim Sheens.Credit:NRL Photos
“[Marshall] has definitely got the ambition for [coaching]. It’s something he’s very passionate about, and what better mentor to have than Sheensy? Both myself and Benji will be very hands-on and learn as much as we can from Tim, so when it does come time for Tim to step aside, Benji will be ready to step into that role.
“He definitely became a lot more of a mentor to younger players, coaching on the run during training sessions; you could see he’s definitely a natural.
Advertisement

“I’ve got no doubt he has still got a lot of learning to do, and the next couple of years are going to present a lot of challenges for the both of us, but that’s the learning experience we need to go through. It’s the apprenticeship we need to go through under Tim to make sure when the time does come he’s ready for what’s ahead.”

NRL 2022

‘A great day for our club’: Tigers confirm five-year coaching deal for Marshall

Marshall’s move into coaching comes 12 months after he retired from the NRL following last year’s grand final loss with the South Sydney Rabbitohs.
It is a path walked by Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart, who won premierships as a player under Sheens – a man he sees as a perfect fit to revitalise the Tigers.
Stuart spent one year in retirement before being fast-tracked into the head coaching role at the Sydney Roosters in 2002 and leading the club to a premiership in his first season.

“I was fortunate, I had Phil Gould around me helping ease my way into full-time coaching. I was only out of the game for 12 months, so it was very much-needed to have that experience around me,” Stuart said.
“Having that experience and somebody to bounce ideas off from training to development of players, having an experienced voice in your ear, is a great advantage when you’re learning at a young age.
Back together ... Benji Marshall and Tim Sheens at Tigers training in 2012

Back together ... Benji Marshall and Tim Sheens at Tigers training in 2012Credit:NRL Imagery
“[Sheens] will have to steady the ship there. He’s got a lot bigger job on his hands this time around than he did when he first took over the position. I don’t think it’s a job for a young coach yet.
“I think it’s a smart plan. [Marshall] is going to be learning from one of the best and for Benji, after two years under Tim seeing how things should and shouldn’t be done, it will be a great apprenticeship leading into what’s a very volatile position.”

The Tigers have spent 11 years in finals exile but Sheens will look to help Marshall build a roster capable of challenging for a premiership by tapping into the philosophy that helped them to success in 2005.

NRL 2022

Why top Rooster is saying au revoir as one of NRL’s form big men

“I don’t think it’s about being the entertainers, but it’s definitely about allowing the players to have the confidence to back their talent. That’s what Sheensy did with us,” Farah said.
“We’ve got so many talented players coming through; we want to give them the confidence to develop their game and express themselves.
“We still want to play a hard-edge style of football. You’ve got to show up with the right attitude to roll the sleeves up and do the tough things, but we want the players to have the confidence and the ability to back themselves when they need to.”

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I now fully support the Wests Tigers in the controversial decision to have Sheens mentor Benji and Robbie to be coach and probably assistant coach in the future. I don't believe you could find two people more passionate about the club than these two. The club absolutely had to take a chance with something out of the ordinary to turn things around.

I certainly would have had no joy if Kimmorlery, John Morris or Paul Green had got the job to name a few.

Benji, through just being the kind of guy he is, will be held in high regard by current players not just for his football skills but his mentoring and his humble way of going about that. I was on a plane with the whole team a few years ago and another Tigers player at that time kept trying to stir him him by continuously saying very loudly "LEGEND....YOUR A LEGEND...WHAT A LEGEND...etc etc. Benji was very calm and reserved saying things like "I'm not a legend I'm just a footy player like you.

I also like seeing how calm Benji is when he is interviewed by the likes of Paul Kent. He keeps his cool, doesn't get dragged down the path Kent would like him to go and gives sensible answers.

As a player he has moved from a flash super exciting player to a mature player that kept a cool and calculating head. He became a multi faceted player and I have confidence in can bring that out in game management and to his players.

If anyone can get players to "buy in" to the Wests Tigers Benji with Robbie at his side is the one I would pick to do it.

WA Tiger

Bench
I now fully support the Wests Tigers in the controversial decision to have Sheens mentor Benji and Robbie to be coach and probably assistant coach in the future. I don't believe you could find two people more passionate about the club than these two. The club absolutely had to take a chance with something out of the ordinary to turn things around.

I certainly would have had no joy if Kimmorlery, John Morris or Paul Green had got the job to name a few.

Benji, through just being the kind of guy he is, will be held in high regard by current players not just for his football skills but his mentoring and his humble way of going about that. I was on a plane with the whole team a few years ago and another Tigers player at that time kept trying to stir him him by continuously saying very loudly "LEGEND....YOUR A LEGEND...WHAT A LEGEND...etc etc. Benji was very calm and reserved saying things like "I'm not a legend I'm just a footy player like you.

I also like seeing how calm Benji is when he is interviewed by the likes of Paul Kent. He keeps his cool, doesn't get dragged down the path Kent would like him to go and gives sensible answers.

As a player he has moved from a flash super exciting player to a mature player that kept a cool and calculating head. He became a multi faceted player and I have confidence in can bring that out in game management and to his players.

If anyone can get players to "buy in" to the Wests Tigers Benji with Robbie at his side is the one I would pick to do it.
Yea but did you see that “equaliser” look Benji gave back to Kent. Sure he handled that from Kent but that was mild. What if Kent went into his angry mode and then someone else takes Kent’s side? Could Benji handle that..coz he will need to handle that like the calm cool Buzz…Benjis going to get all sorts of shit like that and he has to handle that and not just spit the dummy like he has been known to.

Fkng around with the odd skills training is one thing. But that’s not even close to being an assistant coach never mind head coach. That shits hardly even a concern for a head coach..

WT also put their money on Wayne Pearce with no experience to succeed as head coach but Nah it didn’t work out? This is a dumb risk. And apparently it’s a mega long term deal

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
This is a dumb risk. And apparently it’s a mega long term deal

Why is it a dumb risk ? Maybe a better way to phrase this was who was a better choice ? Madge was a premiership winning coach and you didn't like him and to be fair we haven't been successful.

If you are going to state Ciraldo was a better option I disagree. Ciraldo has not been a top level coach and has only worked with a stacked Penrith roster.

WA Tiger

Bench
Why is it a dumb risk ? Maybe a better way to phrase this was who was a better choice ? Madge was a premiership winning coach and you didn't like him and to be fair we haven't been successful.

If you are going to state Ciraldo was a better option I disagree. Ciraldo has not been a top level coach and has only worked with a stacked Penrith roster.
If ciraldo was a bad choice which I think he was (at least he had some runs on the board as a potential coach) then Benjis an even worse choice. Benjis has zero to his name. Zip

Tiger05

First Grade
If ciraldo was a bad choice which I think he was (at least he had some runs on the board as a potential coach) then Benjis an even worse choice. Benjis has zero to his name. Zip

He is getting 2 years apprenticeship under Sheens as an assistant coach. He has played at the highest level. He clearly loves the Tigers. He has played a lot of first grade and been coached by a lot of players.

In my opinion he is a much better choice than Ciraldo.

You didn't answer the question either. Why is it a dumb risk ?

WA Tiger

Bench
He is getting 2 years apprenticeship under Sheens as an assistant coach. He has played at the highest level. He clearly loves the Tigers. He has played a lot of first grade and been coached by a lot of players.

In my opinion he is a much better choice than Ciraldo.

You didn't answer the question either. Why is it a dumb risk ?
I did answer it. Before and after u asked

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Benjis has zero to his name. Zip

I assume that this is your answer. If so it's pretty easy to refute this isn't it. He has played for a long time at the highest level and been under several coaches in that time. He is also getting a two year apprenticeship under Sheens.

So it's not a dumb risk at all. It's a calculated gamble which is the same as employing Madge to coach the team or Sheens or anyone else.

We won't know until we see how it goes but that is the same as any coach.

We live in the Upside Down of what makes a club successful. Benjiman as coach..next on thier list was Alan Jones, Beau Ryan, Peter Pan who knows anymore. No-one even hates on Tigers anymore, just shake thier head in disbelief.
Why stop there? Surely there's room to bring Fitzy back into the fold.......

WA Tiger

Bench
I assume that this is your answer. If so it's pretty easy to refute this isn't it. He has played for a long time at the highest level and been under several coaches in that time. He is also getting a two year apprenticeship under Sheens.

So it's not a dumb risk at all. It's a calculated gamble which is the same as employing Madge to coach the team or Sheens or anyone else.

We won't know until we see how it goes but that is the same as any coach.
I don’t think he has the man management skills or calm to deal with big egos in the team multiple disagreements, drama, problems and accusations. Thats aside from the losses and media microscope. I think he’d crack, lose his cool, shut down and that’ll be the end of it. I don’t think any of those qualities you mentioned are going to help him as a coach.
You have to be a mix of hard bastard and people person and if not so much then high intelligence. But pref all of those..imo to be a successful head coach.

I may be wrong but I think a solid upbringing is important too as part of the mix. His was apparently nasty. And without a father figure after he left. That shit sticks

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Benji is a typical caring emotional sensitive Pisces…hence the crying which I don’t mind but it does not fit the profile of a effective; manager of men, time manager, problem solver, coach and eater of stress for breakfast.

Trent Robinson is also a Pisces. It obviously works for him. It may even help him. I hear a lot that he cares about his players.He obviously has the right mix mentioned in the previous post and that solid foundation.

Last edited:

weretiger

Juniors

Omg how is this anything but a risk a coach who was sacked then failed in the esl hasn’t coached a nrl team for 10 years because nobody wanted him taking on a apprentice who has not even coached a under 10’s team This has got 100 to 1 odds written all over it ciraldo had at least done his time ,after 10 years we deserve better then gambling the club down the toilet

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Bring in Blocker as the forwards coach. He's a legend and all the young forwards will respect him & be thrilled to have him as their mentor.

Phil Gould

Juniors
Benji under Sheens is a massive, long term gamble. I don’t know which option is best, only time will tell, but at least with the other options we don’t have to wait until 2030 to see.

Hopefully Sheens is better at mentoring coaches than actually coaching and hopefully Benji turns out to be a good coach. Maybe he needs Robbie by his side to give a hard edge when needed. It all seems like too much of an “if” and “but” fairy tale to me. The only reason any of this is possible is because the club is really up the creek without a paddle at the moment. I really hope it works out.

Latest posts