What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If not Madge, then who?

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
I've been a pretty big supporter of Madge. I was of the belief that he'd be the one able to get rid of our soft underbelly. I knew it wouldn't happen overnight, it was going to be a long slog to correct season after season of mediocrity.
While I think he's made some good decisions bringing in younger players & not doing an Ivan & signing players for a quick sugar fix that will only hurt the club in the long run. I think today was the end of the line.
We've gone backwards this season in all facets of the game. Defence is diabolical, attack is non existent. It's pretty obvious we can't recruit any player of substance to help us get out of this mess & guide our promising younger players.

Today was the end of the line. Unfortunately I can't see anything changing under Madge's tenure. He will leave the club in a better recruitment position then he took over.

So if we flick Madge, who do we bring in. Available coaches I can think of off the top of my heard are:
Ciraldo
Flanagan
Hannay
Bennett
Green
Mary
Pay
The only two I'd even contemplate signing would be Bennett or Ciraldo. Bennet would obviously help bring in experienced marquee players we desperately need. Ciraldo is a risk but has wraps on him. However we all know wraps on an assistant coach mean Jack shit.

So basically I come to the conclusion that it has to be Bennett. He's adamant that he's going back to Brisbane, but if we put a 3 year contract in front of him he'd probably sign. Otherwise he's hoping a new club gets introduced. I can't see that happening before the 2024 season.

I don't really know much except that I'm f**king disappointed. This season has been a massive downer & we have nothing to be excited about next season. If nothing changes I think we'll be on spoon contention next year.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
I forgot about Johnny Cronk. I can't fathom the thought of him being back at the club, especially being re-united with Sheen's. 3 wasted years is enough time.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Bennett would be the dream. He wants to keep coaching, I think even just for 2 years he would do a great job, he’ll I’d even ask him for 1 while we find a longterm replacement for 2023. Wayne loves money, he’ll come for the right price.

I know we’re a bit of a mess but overall I think we’re a somewhat attractive club to coach. The COE Will attract players, todays athletes love something new and shiny, off the field we’re turning a profit, the Jersey Flegg side was undefeated so there’s talent coming through.

Ciraldo would be good however he’ll have Ivan in his ear warning him off us. Bit left feild but I’d look at Kristian Woolf, Tongas coach since 2014. The players love him and what he’s done with them is remarkable. He has now had St Helen’s for 2 years, won the comp last year, the Challenge Cup Final this year and currently has them second.

Das Hassler

Bench
Bennett would be the dream. He wants to keep coaching, I think even just for 2 years he would do a great job, he’ll I’d even ask him for 1 while we find a longterm replacement for 2023. Wayne loves money, he’ll come for the right price.

I know we’re a bit of a mess but overall I think we’re a somewhat attractive club to coach. The COE Will attract players, todays athletes love something new and shiny, off the field we’re turning a profit, the Jersey Flegg side was undefeated so there’s talent coming through.

Ciraldo would be good however he’ll have Ivan in his ear warning him off us. Bit left feild but I’d look at Kristian Woolf, Tongas coach since 2014. The players love him and what he’s done with them is remarkable. He has now had St Helen’s for 2 years, won the comp last year, the Challenge Cup Final this year and currently has them second.

Of the available coaching stock Bennett is out on his own...i couldn't see anyone else doing any better than madge....he's said he's definitely going back to brisbane but he's gone 180 on many "definites" .....also just think...odds on we'd be blessed with the 3rd coming of Benji !

macnaz

Staff member
Conspiracy warning !
Sheens linking up with Johnny Cronk, Todd Payten plus Robbie already here.

Das Hassler

Bench
If madge gets booted then i think that will pretty much bring to a close his time as an NRL coach...coaches do get multiple chances but his well documented drill sargent methods will now make any other club too wary ...it's back to England or nothing ...whether that would even be an option for him now.

gordsy

Juniors
I've said before, Sheens is coming back to coach. Madge is done and will be shuffeld out the door during the offseason. Sheens will be trumpted as bringing back the skill and experience, queue more spin and bullshit. It's all so little brain, big mouth lee and the other numbskulls can continue to ride the gravy train till the bitter end.

Tiger05

First Grade
I've said before, Sheens is coming back to coach. Madge is done and will be shuffeld out the door during the offseason. Sheens will be trumpted as bringing back the skill and experience, queue more spin and bullshit. It's all so little brain, big mouth lee and the other numbskulls can continue to ride the gravy train till the bitter end.

I think you're wrong but I really hope you are wrong. I don't want Shines back as head coach.

Vozzy

Juniors
I actually rather Sheens be responsible for finding young talent. I think week to week coaching and being responsible for "pathways" will be too much. I'm happy if the coaching side of things is for 2 years to get us playing with some skill again then a young assistant gets groomed to take over and Sheens continues looking for young future stars.

I've said before, Sheens is coming back to coach

And a good one at that, will have the support of management and the players, oh wait a minute,
After 2 years at Hull KR, Sheens was sacked due to poor league position, form and loss of 'the dressing room' (implying player support) on 5 June, 2019.

Then on to Widnes where,

On 13 Oct 2020 it was announced that Sheens had resigned as club head coach due to a falling out with management over staffing

Ron's_Mate

Bench
And a good one at that, will have the support of management and the players, oh wait a minute,

After 2 years at Hull KR, Sheens was sacked due to poor league position, form and loss of 'the dressing room' (implying player support) on 5 June, 2019.

Then on to Widnes where,

On 13 Oct 2020 it was announced that Sheens had resigned as club head coach due to a falling out with management over staffing

Sounds like he'll fit right in at the Tigers ... 😂

Mario chalmers

Juniors

Hope you are right.

I think its more likely that hell freezes over but not for the reason that you'd think.

The decision around next coach will sit with Sheens I think. The board think he has the runs on the board. Lee H was just on Triple M going on about Sheens and implying that he's a genious. It was really tough to hear.

I think its most likely that Sheens appoints himself to the job or that he nominates a John Morris (someone he knows) for the job. He's not going to endorse Bennett's appointment though I do think Bennett would consider the role. He desperately wants to coach again next year despite the fact he has declared he is going back to Qld.

simmo1

First Grade
Bennett would be fantastic. Plenty of ego - I reckon he'd love to be the man to finally get Tigers to the finals. Players love him too, so he solves the problem of attracting quality signings. It sounded like he was pretty keen to sign a few years ago but the brilliant minds at the club lost their nerve and panicked.

It's all a pipe dream though. I'm sure Pascoe is already in talks with Mary or Seibold to be coach.

Tigerm

First Grade
I hope he isn't but if he is I feel confident he hasn't left this place a mess like the last couple of guys.
There is certainly a lot of people calling for his head, but I hope we are not hanging our hat on Sheens or a newby, if they do get rid of him?

Anyway we will see?

Latest posts