What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If perth is such a can't miss home run for nrl expansion..?!

A team in Perth will be fine as long as it doesn't have to pay through the nose for stadium rental.

The Titans will hold talks with the Queensland government to broker a new deal to use their home ground

THE Titans will hold urgent talks with the Queensland government after revelations they are paying on average $1.25 million more than other NRL clubs to use their home ground.

The Titans even considered hosting games at the home of AFL rivals the Suns due to a crippling $2 million bill for hiring Cbus Super Stadium.

An NRL report, compiled by Asia-Pacific giant PricewaterhouseCoopers, laid bare the enormous financial strain of stadium hire that helped bring the Titans to their knees.

The study showed NRL clubs, on average, outlay $750,000 annually for stadium rental and game day costs. The Titans paid $2 million last season to play at Robina, 166 per cent more than the bill most NRL competitors face for ground rental.

The Titans’ current contract with Stadiums Queensland runs for another two years, but the NRL will enter negotiations this week aiming to broker a reduced rate after taking control of the embattled club.

Titans and NRL officials were tight-lipped last night but Gold Coast CEO Graham Annesley is determined to thrash out a more affordable deal in the lead-up to the Titans’ first home game against Wests Tigers next Saturday.

“We’ll be having discussions in the next few days because we have a home game next week,’’ Annesley said.

“It is expensive (to hire Cbus Super). Stadium hire accounts for a quarter of the cost, but there is other expenses such as the transport levy, traffic management and policing costs.

“Ultimately, they are all government costs. The stadium arrangement is an important part of our cost structure and we hope to be meeting with the government in the next few days to discuss 2015 and beyond.’’

As Cbus Super Stadium’s major tenant, the Titans are dismayed at paying exorbitant rates when casual hirers such as A-League side Brisbane Roar are able to negotiate cut-price deals.

Former Titans CEO David May lashed Stadiums Queensland’s hiring fees, revealing Robina’s rental bill was so expensive he floated the idea of moving to Metricon, a stadium partly funded by the AFL.

“No other NRL club pays more for ground hire than the Titans,” May said.

“I actually suggested to the (Titans) owners that we consider a move to Metricon but it didn’t fly with the board.

“I would have liked playing at Metricon from a commercial standpoint, but the AFL wouldn’t have been keen to give us a helping hand.

“As the major tenant, the Titans deserve a better deal. There are several other organisations making a profit at Robina while the Titans lose out.’’

An SQ spokesman said: “There is an existing hiring agreement in place with the Gold Coast Titans for the use of the venue. SQ is speaking with the NRL regarding arrangements going forward.’’

Pippen94

First Grade
A new club from Perth will have to generate at least $8-10 million from sponsorship, corporate hospitality, ticking and membership. There would be more than enough money in Perth's business sector to generate that revenue.

The ARLC needs to negotiate a very favourable stadium rental deal with the WA gov to keep operating costs as low as possible. Give them a guaranteed Origin every second or third year as a sweetener in exchange for free stadium rental or a cut price deal.

What really f**ked the Titans in 2015 was having to pay $2m per annum just to use Robina Stadium.

Yeah, qld have that strange rule about venues with over 10,000 seats. It's why redcliffe is just under 10k & proposed seagulls stadium in wynnum is same

Perth Red

Post Whore
A new club from Perth will have to generate at least $8-10 million from sponsorship, corporate hospitality, ticking and membership. There would be more than enough money in Perth's business sector to generate that revenue.

The ARLC needs to negotiate a very favourable stadium rental deal with the WA gov to keep operating costs as low as possible. Give them a guaranteed Origin every second or third year as a sweetener in exchange for free stadium rental or a cut price deal.

What really f**ked the Titans in 2015 was having to pay $2m per annum just to use Robina Stadium.
Yeh the wa govt is unlikely to directly fund the club in any way, they got badly burnt doing that with the force, though it’s possible they might sponsor them in some way with a tourist WA type scenario.

where the WA govt can play a major part is in funding a hq and cofe for the club, cheap stadium rental as you say and in funding grassroots Clubs. And a new corporate stand.

lat time I heard it was $125k a game to rent hbf park. Getting that down to $50k or so would be a big benefit.

Pippen94

First Grade
In a futile effort to get this thread back on track, yes I know!, lets talk stadiums as it has come up in the NZ thread.

Currently Perth has HBF Park which has a capacity of 20,500, mostly seated with around 15k of that undercover. It has standing on terraces for about 800 in the shed end and a little bit of grasshill left in a corner.

Corporates are hit and miss. Not terrible but somewhat ltd in number and not a patch on Optus facilities.

Now there is no way an NRL club will play at Optus other than potentially for major finals games so HBF park will be the home base. With two stands now done my hope is part of the WA Govt support will be to rebuild the West stand. It has some issues in regards to heritage interest but thats never stopped a WA govt bulldozing something. A new corporate West stand along the lines of whats at Commbank would be perfect. Would lift capacity to around 25k which would be ideal for an NRL club in Perth.

Its not commbank or NQ stadium by any means but the intimacy, proximity to the city and the character of HBF park makes it a bit like a suburban ground but with modern day facilities and seating capacity. Sort out the West stand and I reckon it will be a cracking NRL stadium.

Thoughts?

View attachment 70096View attachment 70098
View attachment 70099

Looks like Marconi stadium with one large grandstand

Pippen94

First Grade
Why do you say that?
club needs around $28-30million revenue moving forward.
grant is going to end up being $17-18mill
sponsorship needs to be around $8-10million
fanbase revenue needs to be around $3-4million
I dont see why Perth can’t achieve those numbers.

A rich owner is good if you fall on hard times or if you need investment cash to generate future revenue, but in this day and age an nrl club shouldn’t be reliant on owners money to be viable.

Because there's not enough support for sport in wa if team is losing.
Rich owner is always best. Think about where force would be if twiggy didn't keep them going

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because there's not enough support for sport in wa if team is losing.
Rich owner is always best. Think about where force would be if twiggy didn't keep them going
Thats why it’s good to have backing for the lean times, which is what I said. keep winning, keep grinning :)
force arent getting an $18million grant from the ARU! They get only $4mill which doesn’t even cover the cap.

Pippen94

First Grade
I suspect you really don’t know the running costs of an nrl club lol

ideally we are looking at 20k plus membership and 15k plus active attending fans to realise a return enough to cover off the fanbase revenue needed for a club to thrive independent of pokies or owner spend.

if we look at cowboys in 2021 as an example of what perth should be aiming to match or better (crowd avg 13.5k):

merch sales $1.3mill
memberships $3mill
gate takings and game day sales $5.9mill
Sponsorship $9mill

if we can achieve that the club will be in a very healthy financial position regardless of owners wealth.

Lol. You know clubs win & lose?!

Pippen94

First Grade
Thats why it’s good to have backing for the lean times, which is what I said. keep winning, keep grinning :)
force arent getting an $18million grant from the ARU! They get only $4mill which doesn’t even cover the cap.

Proved my point about rich owners. NRL not going to throw money like afl.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Proved my point about rich owners. NRL not going to throw money like afl.
.is there any nrl club not owned by rich owners or a leagues club? I’m not sure what you’re arguing here tbh. If they decide perth and call for bids there’s a number of millionaires who’ve already said they are wanting to bid. I’m pretty sure they’re not going to give the license to me because I like the idea of owning a club lol

In a futile effort to get this thread back on track, yes I know!, lets talk stadiums as it has come up in the NZ thread.

Currently Perth has HBF Park which has a capacity of 20,500, mostly seated with around 15k of that undercover. It has standing on terraces for about 800 in the shed end and a little bit of grasshill left in a corner.

Corporates are hit and miss. Not terrible but somewhat ltd in number and not a patch on Optus facilities.

Now there is no way an NRL club will play at Optus other than potentially for major finals games so HBF park will be the home base. With two stands now done my hope is part of the WA Govt support will be to rebuild the West stand. It has some issues in regards to heritage interest but thats never stopped a WA govt bulldozing something. A new corporate West stand along the lines of whats at Commbank would be perfect. Would lift capacity to around 25k which would be ideal for an NRL club in Perth.

Its not commbank or NQ stadium by any means but the intimacy, proximity to the city and the character of HBF park makes it a bit like a suburban ground but with modern day facilities and seating capacity. Sort out the West stand and I reckon it will be a cracking NRL stadium.

Thoughts?

View attachment 70096View attachment 70098
View attachment 70099

A corporate stand on the western bank and a roof over the southern end would be great.

Yeah, qld have that strange rule about venues with over 10,000 seats. It's why redcliffe is just under 10k & proposed seagulls stadium in wynnum is same
The Queensland Gov gave the Brisbane Roar discounted rental fees to play out of Robina Stadium. What we really need is an ARLC Chairman who stands up to the Queensland gov and says "give our game a fair go if you want grand finals, Tests and more teams".

AwFuL seems to get pretty favourable deals from the Queensland gov.

Wb1234

Referee
Looks like Marconi stadium with one large grandstand
Yeh it’s pretty much a dump

four sides which don’t match

they should blow it up and build a new ground from scratch it would be more cost effective

they need better corporate facilities too

Southern end was designed to take a roof at a later date. The west stand is def the priority. We need better corporate facilities.

A massive screen at the northern end would be great. If they don't go with a massive screen then rebuild the northern stand identical to the one at the southern end. A roof that connects the northern and southern ends to the western stands would be great.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Th
The Queensland Gov gave the Brisbane Roar discounted rental fees to play out of Robina Stadium. What we really need is an ARLC Chairman who stands up to the Queensland gov and says "give our game a fair go if you want grand finals, Tests and more teams".

AwFuL seems to get pretty favourable deals from the Queensland gov.
Theyre just better at negotiating. For example not only did they get WA govt to pay massively for the grand final they also got them to commit $5million to fund jnr programs in WA for 5 years. That’s how you do it!