What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If the Storm have to get rid of one of the FAB4 Smith, Slater, Inglis, Cronk

Keysee

Juniors
To play in 2011, Storm may need to offload one of the FAB4 in Smith, Slater, Inglis, or Cronk.
For Storm fans, which one can we cover best and therefore afford to lose?
For other clubs, which one do you want the most if they became available?

I think that Cameron Smith has been implicated in and tarnished the most by this. I thought his comments that players could strike if they didnt get more money was ill-timed and poor form. I believe that Ryan Hinchcliffe is getting there as a player.

Keysee

Juniors
more to the point which of them wants to go?

I dont know that any of them would want to go to another league club. I think they enjoy the fact that the spotlight on them will be much less here in Melbourne or overseas. Raiders or Cowboys may be option as 1-team towns. I was also interested in how many people would say "Dont want any of them at any cost.

I dont know that any of them would want to go to another league club. I think they enjoy the fact that the spotlight on them will be much less here in Melbourne or overseas. Raiders or Cowboys may be option as 1-team towns. I was also interested in how many people would say "Dont want any of them at any cost.
im sure without the salary cap dramas none of them would want to go but i was wondering which of them would seriously think about leaving its hard to say not knowing what the offers from other clubs would be

Keysee

Juniors
im sure without the salary cap dramas none of them would want to go but i was wondering which of them would seriously think about leaving its hard to say not knowing what the offers from other clubs would be
For us also, the scary thing is going to be market value versus contract payments. Not only is it the shedding of players, but we could be paying $200-300k for one of these at another club. Selfishly, the best solution for the Storm is for the player to go OS. How much do you think a Slater/Smith/Inglis would be worth on the open market against the supposed $500-650k they are on.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
1.7 Million over the cap, I reckon atleast 2 of those guys have to go even if you do shed some fringe players. I'd reluctantly release Billy Slater with Gareth Widdop in to replace him, and probably Greg Inglis. But thats like choosing between your 4 children.

nehalem

Juniors
Eels could definitely benefit from someone like cameron smith OR cooper cronk in the halves, they've got a bit of money on the table for next season due to mateo and inu leaving for the warriors. Im thinking one of these experienced players in the halves will left them up where kris keating has kind of let them down (Mortimer has been fairly average this year as well).

Apey

Staff member
Storm POV - Inglis/Smith. I agree, I reckon Hinchcliffe is coming along pretty well. Let's be honest here, Inglis is the best player in the game bar none when he is on, but is he on enough to be worth it? He seems to go missing, a lot.

Knights POV - Cronk plz.

Eels could definitely benefit from someone like cameron smith OR cooper cronk in the halves, they've got a bit of money on the table for next season due to mateo and inu leaving for the warriors. Im thinking one of these experienced players in the halves will left them up where kris keating has kind of let them down (Mortimer has been fairly average this year as well).
hard to say exactly how much we will have next year a few players including hayne have upgrades to their contracts

bileduct

Coach
As a Raiders fan I'd like to see Cronk in green, and maybe Smith.

I say maybe because I think he's a piece of sh*t, but the Raiders seem to make a habit of offering second chances (and up to 33, we are told) to players with dubious off field histories. Alan Tongue playing at hooker also has a lot to do with it.

aussies1st

Staff member
Inglis seems to be the one most likely to leave. Hasn't been much linked to the other 3.

Keysee

Juniors
Storm POV - Inglis/Smith. I agree, I reckon Hinchcliffe is coming along pretty well. Let's be honest here, Inglis is the best player in the game bar none when he is on, but is he on enough to be worth it? He seems to go missing, a lot.

Agree on Inglis, would say that one of the surprises of the season has been Matt Duffie. Between Gareth Widdop, Matt Duffie, Willie Isa, and Chase Stanley, I think the wing centre position is one that we have best cover. Cannot see a replacement for Billy or Cooper.

lsta5838

Juniors
If I was making the decisons, I would let Slater go.

Main reason is that:

9. Smith
7. Cronk
1. Inglis

Is just as, if not more dangerous than the current combination.

little_aza

Juniors
I'll go in order:

Personally, I think Smith is the one we can least afford to lose. Me might be a dodgy operator, but the last couple of weeks, as well as the 2008 GF have shown how valuable he is for us. Apparently, he is on around $600k (including brown envelopes). Cooper Cronk is also imperative to our success, and there's no other halfback I'd prefer for the money (apparently around $350k, which is negligible).

Billy Slater is a good player, and helps us across the line, but not to the level of the other two. Inglis is problem though: he can be the best in the world one day, but be a spectator the next. I'd love to keep him, as he plays well when it really counts, but as a centre, he's not quite as critical as 1, 7 and 9. I think him especially will command big dollars from elsewhere, so that helps our cap in the future too lol.

little_aza

Juniors
They are going to have to let more than one go

We can ditch many others without having to release more than one of the "big four".

For example, something like this could occur: Finch (~$150k), Inglis (~$600k), Hoffman (~$325k), Hinchcliffe (~$175k), MacDougall (~$55k) and Stanley (~$150k) could leave. That's already over $1.3mil off the books. If we sign six duds in replacement, that's only around $330k, leaving a saving of nearly a million.

I would have included Lowrie in that group, but his deal would still have a few years remaining, meaning our cap would be reduced for a long time in payouts. Players with the shortest contracts would be the first to get the chop, I'd say.

melbourne_belle

Juniors
Billy is by far easiest to replace.

He is easiest to replace on field but not off, Billy is one of the most recognisable faces of League in Melbourne. In saying that I think he would be one of the first to go and it wouldn't bother me as much as the other 3, I really can't see GI going without us telling him too. He just doesn't want to leave at all.

Ulysseus

Bench
I have seen Inglis linked to AFL, Union, and amazingly US Gridiron. Have you heard of a possible move?

Well I heard he is going to become a regular on Home and Away.
He will be playing Alf's son (there are some scripting and continuity problems yet to be overcome.................) and will be coming out with such classic lines as "flaming gallah", "holy sh*t", "f**k me", "where the f**k is my boat" and "WHAT THE f**k!, you dont need to be shoving all those TV remotes up there Trisha you filthy two dollar crack whore!".

A gold Logie surely awaits.