What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you drop Hindmarsh now you may as well say he was never a great player

league_nut

Juniors
Interesting. I think hindmarsh circa 2000,01,02 was an outstanding player. The last three years I believe have been very average. Hindmarsh has become a victim of stats chasing tackles and makeing 25 hit ups that are rubbish and without venom. Same as Craig Fitzgibbon. It's unfortunate but the way the game is with idiots such as Sterling batting about how many tackles people make players will fall into this trap. Watch how many times he runs 15m to be third or fourth man into a tackle when he isnt needed. In my opinion Andrew Ryan is a much better 2nd rower as he can ball play, work and run out wide.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
so dally m 2nd rower of the year in 04,05,06 means he average, as well as just missing out on the dally m player of the year by 2 points last year, and winning the provan summons medal the last 2 years. some harsh critics out there

eels_fan_01

Bench
Just goes to show, the people in here and anyone who thinks Hindy isnt a great player are f*cking losers who only care about attack.

HE MADE 40 TACKLES IN THE GAME BUT HE DIDNT PLAY GREAT?? I'd like to see any of you duds make 40 tackles on your overweight brother in your backyard let alone in a origin area.

Its a shame players like Karmichael Hunt are considered quality players when they cant tackle for sh*t but have good attack yet Hindy makes 40 tackles a game and gets questioned.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Red and Blue Knight said:
But like Bailey, Ryles, O'Meley and Ryan in recent years he has really failed to leave his mark on Origin football like forwards of the past have eg Harragon, Lazarus, Webcke, Tallis, Kennedy etc.

Kennedy was never that good in rep games. He saved his best for club games.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
i dont care what people have to stay about hindmarsh, while it shows they know nothing about rugby league, the important thing is he plays well for parra, attacks well for parra and defends well for parra and i think he has been doing that for the past 5 or 6 years. drop him from origin, keeps him fresh and and focused on parra

The Engineers Room

First Grade
league_nut said:
Andrew Ryan is a much better 2nd rower as he can ball play, work and run out wide.

Andrew Ryan runs like he is constantly looking for his keys on the ground. The guy is slow and his ball playing in the game last night consisted of getting up from a tackle and playing the ball. There was a pass in the first half by Kimmorley that would have put him through a gap but he was so far back and stutter stepping that the defence simply closed it and had a lie down whilst they waited for him.

league_nut

Juniors
Thats the problem all parra fans say is look at how many tackles. Once again watch the game again and see how many times he's 3rd and 4th in a tackle. Yes he one Dally m 2nd rower of the year but as Andrew Johns said league judges have a strange pre occupation with the amount of work forwards do not the quality. As for saying that anyone that says he's not a great is a loser...what a joke. Look at the great forwards of the past 20 years Webke, Tallis, Lazarus, Sironen , are they not great because they didnt make 50 tackles a game YOU are the loser.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
league_nut said:
Thats the problem all parra fans say is look at how many tackles. Once again watch the game again and see how many times he's 3rd and 4th in a tackle. Yes he one Dally m 2nd rower of the year but as Andrew Johns said league judges have a strange pre occupation with the amount of work forwards do not the quality. As for saying that anyone that says he's not a great is a loser...what a joke. Look at the great forwards of the past 20 years Webke, Tallis, Lazarus, Sironen , are they not great because they didnt make 50 tackles a game YOU are the loser.
you honestly know nothing, hindmarsh is a great, go ask all those players you just named and they'll say he is a great, including andrew johns.

league_nut

Juniors
Natalie's Daddy said:
Andrew Ryan runs like he is constantly looking for his keys on the ground. The guy is slow and his ball playing in the game last night consisted of getting up from a tackle and playing the ball. There was a pass in the first half by Kimmorley that would have put him through a gap but he was so far back and stutter stepping that the defence simply closed it and had a lie down whilst they waited for him.
Oh thats the time he stepped Hodges and slipped...good argument. I'll wait and see what the selectors think.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
and league_nut im not talking about his defence, i was talking about playing him wide and getting him to run at lockyer, like he does at club level and like hoffman does for melbourne, they pick hindy on his parra form, then he goes into the origin side and murray tells him to play a different game

eels_fan_01

Bench
league_nut said:

So what, 40 tackles is 40 tackles.

Alot of fowards are 3rd and 4th man in and yet they can only technically make 15 tackles and they are 3rd and 4th man in, its not a different rule for hindy.

So you think Willie Mason is better because he runs 4 times in a game and makes 20 metres on those runs and then misses 20 tackles. Your the f*cken loser.

league_nut

Juniors
hindmarsh4pm said:
you honestly know nothing, hindmarsh is a great, go ask all those players you just named and they'll say he is a great, including andrew johns.

Jesus christ mate dont cry....ask blocker roach he was scatheing last night. Go back to Dally m's last year speach by andrew Johns about how stat chasers get to much credit. If you think he's great fine thats awesome ur a fan I and plenty others are not. Just as lots of people dont like Mason 99% of dogs fans love him

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
league_nut said:
Jesus christ mate dont cry....ask blocker roach he was scatheing last night. Go back to Dally m's last year speach by andrew Johns about how stat chasers get to much credit. If you think he's great fine thats awesome ur a fan I and plenty others are not. Just as lots of people dont like Mason 99% of dogs fans love him
hindmarsh would be the last person i would call a stat chaser. this guy plays for the team, yeah he has won awards which show he is good, but i think he would give every single one of those awards back for a premiership. you got to watch more parra games and just notice what this guy does, when you do you will see what a champion he is

eels_fan_01

Bench
hindmarsh4pm said:
hindmarsh would be the last person i would call a stat chaser. this guy plays for the team, yeah he has won awards which show he is good, but i think he would give every single one of those awards back for a premiership. you got to watch more parra games and just notice what this guy does, when you do you will see what a champion he is

Dont waste your breathe, this guys an idiot.

Apparently Hindmarsh is sh*t because he does 40 tackles and its all 3rd and 4th man in so that doesnt help the team at all, slowing down the play the ball or helping out little blokes getting a man down.

Also also also...i nearly forgot, Hindy never cleans up kicks, scores trys or makes 50 metre runs when he plays does he, no its all these crazy stats that make him look good. Oh the stats control all....woooo im a stat, crazy.

league_nut

Juniors
hindmarsh4pm said:
and league_nut im not talking about his defence, i was talking about playing him wide and getting him to run at lockyer, like he does at club level and like hoffman does for melbourne, they pick hindy on his parra form, then he goes into the origin side and murray tells him to play a different game
I agree, they should have had him shuffling away at Thurston on one side of the ruck and Ryan at Locky. Thats the problem with NSW we pick the 17 best players but not the best team to achieve what they want. Our balance is terrible we have mason running straight up the guts, no ball playing in the halves and a winger who comes in more the a junkie at kings cross. I DONT think Hindmarsh should be dropped but if thats the game the selectors want t play then they should because what he is good at there wasteing.

league_nut

Juniors
hindmarsh4pm said:
Ive watched plenty of parra games some with his sister Lindsay nice girl looks just like Nath. He is a great club player I just feel like another great club player Terry Lamb origin is a bit beyond him , because of the different style of game and what coaches want.

Grail

Juniors
Hindmarsh's best asset is not the amount of tackles he makes, or the fact that he goes for 80 minutes, it's the things that he does off the ball.

If there is a break, Hindmarsh is there to close it down, or to push the try scorer out wide.
Loose ball on the ground, Hindmarsh is there to drop on it.
Field Goal attempt, Hindmarsh is there putting pressure on the kicker.
and so on.

It's the little things that 95% of the viewing public don't pick up on, because it is not spectacular bone crunching defence or running through gaps. That is the mark of a great player. And IMO Hindmarsh is a great player.

He'll probably still get dropped though, because as has been evidenced over the entire SOO history, NSW Selectors are prone to knee-jerk over-reactions.

In the opening exchanges last night, Hindmarsh was NSW's best forward. And it was the attack of NSW that let them down. As Fatty said... "get some centres who can break the line".

Hayne was left stranded because Cooper doesn't know how to pass the ball. Lyon isn't the player that he once was, appears slow and sluggish and also was leaving King to catch a cold.

Origin III team IMO.

1. Stewart
2. Hayne
3. ??
4. King
5. Grothe
6. Bird
7. Kimmorley
8. Bailey
9. Buderus
10. Mason
11. Hindmarsh
12. Watmough
13. Ryan

14. Farah
15. Hoffman
16. O'Meley
17. Laffranchi

skeepe

Immortal
Grail, Alan Tongue does all that and better, yet nobody is calling him a great player.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
skeepe said:
Grail, Alan Tongue does all that and better, yet nobody is calling him a great player.
tongue is a top player make no mistake, and to be honest if he were at another club i would say he would def be in the running for an origin spot. Hindmarsh though i think is alot better than tongue, im not trying to start a war or anything here, but as good as tongue is i think hindy is another level above him, im just having my say and not trying to start anything.

Grail i agree, the centre you a missing i believe should be tahu if he is fit, he can break the line, we have all seen it before, even ben smith would do a much better job than cooper and lyon

Grail

Juniors
Tongue is a very underrated player. He has the heart, just not the physical aspect to back it up. He doesn't bust tackles, and that is something that Hindmarsh does regularly... except this years SOO. You'll note my first post mentioned this aspect of Hindmarsh's game.

That is the one thing that is making Hindmarsh's game less than what it was. So, no Tongue doesn't do it better, but yes he does do it.

However, I don't agree that Hindmarsh should be dropped for that, but agree that he probably will. The problem lies elsewhere in the NSW team, not with Hindmarsh's lack of penetration this year.