What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you were (or currently are) a parent to young children...

Johns Magic

Referee
innsaneink said:
If he's taught to tackle properly, and isnt scared, he will be fine.
Big kids are 99% of the time verrrry sloooow.

Not when these big Polynesian kids(who develop earlier in general) have gone through puberty when other kids haven't. Then they can weigh 40 kg's more and be much faster than the rest.

I remember playing against Polynesians who weighed 80kg+ and had beards when I was 14 or so.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Johns Magic said:
Not when these big Polynesian kids(who develop earlier in general) have gone through puberty when other kids haven't. Then they can weigh 40 kg's more and be much faster than the rest.

I remember playing against Polynesians who weighed 80kg+ and had beards when I was 14 or so.

Having grown up playing league in Auckland I can definately say this is a problem. I was 13-14 and weighed 30kg going up against teams whose smallest players were 45-50kg and heaviest were 80+kg. It was tough going, especially when every second year they removed the weight limits. Have no idea why they alternated weight limits, it makes no sense to me.

girvie

Staff member
innsaneink said:
The ARL should promote vision of 6s and 7s with one kid with the ball and 15 chasing him, catching him and him coming to a stop....there is no collisions like these uniformed parents see on FNF until easily the mid teens....junior footy is really quite soft, though if kids are taught to tackle properly they rarely get hurt.
Parents see Hunt/Anasta...SBW/Clinton type collisions and imagine its like that in juniors.
Exactly.

If anyone is worried about letting their kids play league then i suggest going and watching some games of the age group that they would be in, and even talking to parents of the kids in that team. Then i'm sure you will see that it's not dangerous.

innsaneink

Referee
KeepingTheFaith said:
Having grown up playing league in Auckland I can definately say this is a problem. I was 13-14 and weighed 30kg going up against teams whose smallest players were 45-50kg and heaviest were 80+kg. It was tough going, especially when every second year they removed the weight limits. Have no idea why they alternated weight limits, it makes no sense to me.

It was a problem for you because you were jockey size.
14 years old and 30kg?
My son is 11 and he's 33kg now, and hes one of the smallest in his grade.

If the players and team are defending well and getting numbers in tackles, i see no problem...I see a challenge.

Johns Magic

Referee
innsaneink said:
If the players and team are defending well and getting numbers in tackles, i see no problem...I see a challenge.

Yes, because every 13 year old kid has perfect tackling technique and no fear.

What about all the kids who aren't great defenders? The majority of 13 year olds are still learning how to tackle.

It's not a level playing field, and it does lead to injuries.

I remember when I was 14 and our captain tried to tackle a humongous Islander running full-pelt at him. The result was a broken collarbone and concussion. This guy went on to play NSW Schoolboys in the back-row too, so he knew how to tackle.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I have referreed the young kids and the amount of safety in the younger grades makes it better for the kids. My son, if I have one will play if he wants to.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
One thing I want them to bring back is a weight limit on players. Easy to enforce, just have them stand on the scales when the ref is checking the boots and nails. Kids that are too big will have to play up an age group or two.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,18459082-5003402,00.html

AFL 'most injury-prone sport'

AUSTRALIAN rules football, soccer, water sports, cycling and horse riding have topped a list of the nation's most injury-prone sports.

But experts warn parents should not be alarmed by the latest figures, because avoiding exercise is not the way to solve Australia's obesity crisis.

In 2002-03, just over 45,450 people were admitted to hospital after being seriously injured while playing sport, according to a new report.

Of those sports-related injuries, 65 resulted in death, the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) report said.

Most injuries occurred in the football codes, with 12,600 cases.

Nearly 4000 of these injuries were while playing Australian rules, more than 3200 playing soccer, while rugby league recorded 1600 injuries, with another 522 for touch football and 516 for rugby union.

Sports injury expert Belinda Gabbe from Monash University says she is not surprised Australian Rules topped the list, because so many people play the sport.

"When you're looking at pure numbers of admissions without adjusting for how many people actually play the sport, it will look quite bad, particularly for Aussie Rules," Dr Gabbe said.

"There is a danger that people may panic when you're just reporting raw numbers and people don't consider how many participants there are across the country.

"In reality, when you consider how many people play the sport, serious injuries are probably much less of a problem than what most think."

She said being unfit could lead to much more serious consequences.

Also heading the list of injury-prone sports are water sports, with 2800 injuries recorded, closely followed by cycling, motor sports and horse riding.

According to the AIHW, water sports covers swimming, surfing, scuba diving, fishing, water skiing and using diving boards.

Fractures were the most common sports injury that required hospitalisation.

Children younger than 15 years accounted for more than a third of the people admitted to hospital with a sports injury.

Just under three-quarters hospitalised due to sports injuries were men, even though statistics showed more women were playing sport.

Sports-related injury visits to emergency departments were more common for sports like Australian rules football, cycling, soccer, basketball, netball and skateboarding, the report said.

For Australian rules, rugby league and cycling, head injuries were most common.

Dr Gabbe said just because some sports appeared to be more dangerous than others, parents should not discourage their children from getting involved in sport.

"There's a potential to be admitted to hospital for just about any form of activity," she said.

"Just being a passenger in a car, you're at risk of having an injury that could potentially put you in hospital.

"The people who play sport and do end up in hospital are the minority.

"There are many people who actually play their entire lives in a sport and never sustain an injury that requires a hospital injury - you need to look at the data in context."

Hanscholo

Bench
Yes, i have no doubt about it. I played League for many years and never sustained a single injury. I played Baseball for 5 years, did both qudriceps, had a shoulder reconstruction and broke my hand.

All sports, in particular explosive sports are dangerous, its up to the parents to get involved and help their kids with a bit of advice now and then to help em out. Its not good to wrap them in cotton wool. RL is a good lesson about life, in so many respects it immitates it.

dazza

Staff member
my son wanted to play soccer last year, instead of league, & he did.

this year he has gone back to league. he will play whatever sport he wants to, with my full support. he started playing league at 4 in nz & he loved it.

cheers dazza

muznik

Juniors
Yes I would, although being girls they seem more interested in ballet !

I played from age 5 in the 70's & 80's. There are a lot more safety precautions & even protective equipment now.

I would however prefer, as others have mentioned, that there were weight limits in place

innsaneink

Referee
Johns Magic said:
Yes, because every 13 year old kid has perfect tackling technique and no fear.

What about all the kids who aren't great defenders? The majority of 13 year olds are still learning how to tackle.

It's not a level playing field, and it does lead to injuries.

I remember when I was 14 and our captain tried to tackle a humongous Islander running full-pelt at him. The result was a broken collarbone and concussion. This guy went on to play NSW Schoolboys in the back-row too, so he knew how to tackle.

You talk about "every 13 year old" then go onto cite one incident.
Im not claiming injuries never happen.
Sounds like your mate did something wrong.

manlyone

Juniors
when they get into their teens it get tough but for the littlies (ie 5 & up) the kids have a ball, especially the mini league kids (U6-U8). Its just organised chasing .....

Some sort of weight related restriction to me is a no brainer ..... what kid enjoys getting tackled by someone twice their size

Johns Magic

Referee
innsaneink said:
You talk about "every 13 year old" then go onto cite one incident.
Im not claiming injuries never happen.
Sounds like your mate did something wrong.

I cited that incident to show that it's not just about being a good defender.

Force = Mass x Acceleration.

So when kids are getting hit by much bigger, much faster opponents, the pain and risk of injury they face is a lot higher. As idealistic as it is to think that it's just about toughness, it simply isn't true.

innsaneink

Referee
I never said anything about toughness.

I agree with Manlyone about weighted divs.
However, that only works when you have the numbers for it to work.

Johns Magic

Referee
innsaneink said:
I never said anything about toughness.

I agree with Manlyone about weighted divs.
However, that only works when you have the numbers for it to work.

innsaneink said:
If he's taught how to tackle properly, and isnt scared, he will be fine

Big kids are 99% of the time verrrryyy sloooow

Big kids are usually big because they've gone through puberty. This only makes them faster.

chiana

Juniors
My Eldest Daughter plays netball and can get just as many bruises as my Son who plays Soccer. Either way I'd encourage my children to play any sport they wanted. All sport offers a chance to get injured, but you cannot wrap your kids up in cotton wool.

greendevil

Juniors
Some good comments in this thread. Being a parent of 2 boys, both of whom have played league since they were 5 (one is now 18 and still playing at a high level, the other 12 and moving into international rules) I have never had any hesitation in allowing the boys to play. Both have played against (and with) large Islander children and both have been quite light for their age.

The younger one is 33kg wringing wet, but has a huge ticker and is quite happy to use technique against brawn, and generally he comes out on top. The elder of the two has a very good defensive technique that has been developed by playing against larger opposition.

The problem i have with weight divisions is the maturity and game smarts of the older, light child against the younger, heavier player. If it were solely based on wieght, my 12 year old could conceivably some up against 10 year olds, that would be grossly unfair to the 10 year olds as at that stage they play a completely different game and don't necessarily have the skills or game smarts to compete on an even keel.

One thing that could be done to even all of this out is to not allow unlimited interchange. Now, I realise that officials are already overworked etc. but it would stop coaches using the "big kid" is short bursts when attacking, making them stay on the field to defennd and the smaller, generally quicker kids can take advantage.

I also am involved with the club in an administrative role. One of the most common questions asked by the parents of new players at registration days is about injuries. I can tell them that in the 9 years I have been at this club, with in excess of 500 junior players running around each weekend, the amount of serious injuries (broken bones, dislocations etc) is almost non-existant in the U7-U11, the risk increases slightly as they get older of course.

What it comes down to is that Rugby League is a contact sport, injuries are going to happen. If kids are trained in proper technique to both tackle and take a tackle, and the Playsafe code is enforced by the officials, I see no problems with kids playing Rugby League

innsaneink said:
If he's taught to tackle properly, and isnt scared, he will be fine.
Big kids are 99% of the time verrrry sloooow.
..exactly...they are at the primary age..you stack on..and theres always 1 or 2 kids who are keen for a go
However..having coached thru the 9s to currently 15s,you have to get your sons into the game by under 9 or 10s at the latest because by the time they are 14 or 15 there are some big kids around and unless they have the technique down by that age they come and play for maybe a year or two and they dont really last because they dont have the confidence .There fore they are given positions that see little ball or tackling...then you devise defensive tactics to compensate for the kids and they know that they are being sheltered.
Bottom line..teach then early...under 11s at latest

Latest posts