What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ilawarra rugby league

neddy

Juniors
what do u huys recon this good stepping stone towwards nrl ? is it a strong competition and yeh tell me bit bout it i heard dragons premier league will be split up amongst it

girvie

Staff member
neddy said:
what do u huys recon this good stepping stone towwards nrl ? is it a strong competition and yeh tell me bit bout it i heard dragons premier league will be split up amongst it
It may be a good stepping stone to the Dragons, however i think you have a better chance of playing a year in the Jim Beam Cup and performing well there and then the next year trying to get a spot in an NSW Cup squad.

yappy

Bench
It's a brave move by the Dragons, but I suppose it shows how badly they're faring financially. I doubt they'd be doing it if either leagues club was in the black.

2 True Blues

Coach
I could not see any good out of this what so ever. The odd good quality player playing in a backwater comp against players not as good as him. How can that be a " Positive " move forward.

Would it not be better playing in a team with/ and against ,other quality players, in order to advance.

watatank

Coach
The Illawarra comp is quite strong, stronger than most people would think but yeah NSW Cup would be preferable.

2 True Blues

Coach
Engadine were always the power houses of the upper area. Who is in this comp anyway. I always remember gerringong and batemans bay having strong sides, are they with saints ??

Spike

First Grade
Engadine are in the Cronulla comp. Gerringong and Batemans Bay are in Group 7. The competition the Dragons excess players are in is the Illawarra Carlton League.

girvie

Staff member
This was posted in the Dragons forum:

Dragons hooker Stuart Webb has suffered a broken nose and cracked ribs during a game of park football today.

inorbit.com understands the former Rabbitoh was running out for the Berkeley Eagles in the Illawarra competition after he was overlooked for first-grade selection by coach Nathan Brown.

Reports indicate the 27-year-old was targeted on the basis of his NRL status.

Webb is likely to miss between six and eight weeks.

thing

Juniors
That has always been a concern of mine when you drop a graded player into a local pomp they become moving targets.

Give it to mid season and I can see players jumping ship at St George,

Swamprat

Juniors
I went and watched a game last year between Dapto and Thirroul, I hadn't seen a bush game for a few years and to be honest I wasn't that impressed. After watching a lot of SG ball and Flegg it seemed to be played in slow mo after the first 5 mins of each half.
Just asking for trouble playing up and comers and fringe first graders against park thugs.

A friend of mine was playing for the sharks last year and came back from injury and played for helensburg first game back and he said the headhunters in the opposing team were looking out for him everytime he got the ball.:(

2 True Blues

Coach
enmore boys high said:
A friend of mine was playing for the sharks last year and came back from injury and played for helensburg first game back and he said the headhunters in the opposing team were looking out for him everytime he got the ball.:(

They sound like a well coached disciplined side of elite athletes to me . :crazy: :lol:

Roland

Juniors
Helensburgh had Brett Morris, Jardine Bobongie, Ricky Thorby and Frank Samia from St George in their team last week that lost to Thirroul 30-0.

2 more Saints guys, Jon Green and Joe Falemaka played for Shellharbour in their 44-4 loss to Belrose in Jim Beam Cup. Jon Green is on standby for NRL this week.

Does anyone know where all the other St George guys played last week or where anyone is playing this week?

Spike

First Grade
Bobongie, Falemaka and Samia have all been named in Shellharbour's team this week.

2 True Blues

Coach
Saints will be back in the NSWRL next season. If they saved 2 million this season, well and good. But I reckon they will be back in 2009.

I've always thought that there should be an Illawarra team in the JBC as a next step up from the local comp.
Plus that would give the fans in the 'gong a proper team to follow!

watatank

Coach
They already have a Shellharbour team in the JBC (not sure as to their links to the Illawarra/South Coast league though).

I was thinking more along the lines of a team from the gong representing the whole district, maybe using the old Steelers jersey even if they were called something else.
Have them play out of WIN as well as it's very close to the centre of town.

Fatdog

Juniors
It all comes down to money.
Players would have to get paid more than they do for their club team.

Which would be near impossible to do.

West's Illawarra, Collies and Dapto Leagues Clubs would make much more money than the Steelers club does.

Dont get me wrong. I would love to have a senior Steelers team in the NSWRL or JBC but unfortunately money doesn't allow it.