What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ill Tell Ya one Thang !! bout Joey Johns !!!

Anonymous

Juniors
I now know how it feels to be a supporter of a Champion and watch him get booed by thousands of people for no real reason other than because of who he is ..

I used to think that it was a bit rough to see or hear Joey Johns getting Booed at various times, if his image was on the big screen or prior to him speaking or after a game etc, I sorta went along with it, but felt a bit embarrassed or a little uncomfortable about it, although I was never too concerned coz it wasn’t directed at Freddy or our players

A different story when it happened to Freddy at various times over Grand Final week. I thought Gezzuz they are booing Freddy they are Booing Freddy big time! A year ago we were the heroes ?? Nearly everyone wanted us to win last year and now they are booing us and it was a terrible terrible sickening feeling. I was embarrassed for Freddy and more shocked than anything else.

On reflection I think this is probably the worst thing about this loss, I think it will always stick in my mind that they Booed one of best footballers that has ever played the game every chance they got. He has been a wonderful player and they treated him like siht all week and even at the end of the game.

It appears that over the last 28 years that times may have changed. I’m not too sure this would have happened or did happen 28 years ago but lets say we are not used to being booed like that coz we hadn’t experienced being premiers for 27 years.

I think the culture has changed forever with the Footy in that time. I think this is now part of normality for supporters to booo these days, mores the pity Joey was on the stage the other night and still they booed him; the ugly part of Australian culture is the so-called tall poppy syndrome, hero one minute, villain the next ? Let me say that its pretty ordinary with the shoe on the other foot

Why is it ? The them and us thing ? The Irish v the English influence ? Perceived Rich V Poor ? Labour V Liberal ? Who knows ! But I tell ya one thing my kids wont be doing that and the next time it happens to ANY !! Champion, including Joey Johns, I will feel bad for them and ill write an apology to them and put it in the paper.

Walshie....

antonius

Coach
I agree with you for once Walshie, this came up in the Knights forum. It was embarrasing to sit and watch the footy show when they were booing the players, and giving them the raz all through the segment. You got it in one "tall poopy syndrome". I think it was a shock to Freddy also, he looked really taken aback by it. When Johns was shown on the big screen during commentry on one of the finals he copped it as well, but shrugged it off saying "I don't think they like me" Then again he's prob used to it by now.

I have never booed anyone in my entire life. Sorry accept Killer Kawolski at the Championship Wrestling... but I really hated him when I was 4.

No matter which team we are playing against I always clap the opposition as they run out on the field.

Big Tim

First Grade
I always boo the opposition, it is just what you do. But htink about it, teams play 24 games a year, and I know when Joey is on the screen at away games he is booed, not cos he is Andrew Johns, but because he is a Knight. But believe me, when he is shown on the big screen at EAS he is never booed. It is nothing personal, it is a tribal warfare thing. That is why we love thin game, a jersey can change the way you view a player.

misty

Juniors
All champions from all sports get booed at sometime in their career thats just the way it is.... its not personal its our job to rattle the opposition.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
booing is nothing, to the point when players and staff from your team recieve death threats...now thats pushing it to the extreme...woolford, elliot and harrigan all got them after the Raiders vs Bulldogs game....but that aint a suprise there i guess....

ozzie

Bench
I agree Raider 2004 - I'm more worried that they could be carried out ....have a look at soccer in South America.

salivor

First Grade
I don't see the fuss really, I don't condone it and would never participate in it but really its so common now that you really just have to live with it. They would've booed any other captain put up there, it was nothing personal. They boo Tallis in Sydney and they boo Johns Brisbane, it doesn't matter that both players have led their country to victory. Its life, you can understand fans booing the opposition, I get a little more pissed off when its officials which don't take either side that get booed during their speeches.

Big Tim

First Grade
I tell you though, on gf day it was funny when everyone booed Johnny Howard. KI would have done that, but only cos he is the PM, no other reason.

bartman

Immortal
I may be wrong, but I believe booing Freddie on Grand Final day/week could've had something to do with the fact that Penrith were the opposing team, and Freddie used to play for them, back when they last won the comp? Perhaps many people wish we were still in the days when good players stayed with their local clubs, and money and real estate weren't what football contracts were about?

I was at Parra Stadium when Joey was booed every time he was on the screen, and on that night it was because he was blowing up royally at every reffing decision, and even at his own players.

When Captains and players talk back to refs as much as they do today (all teams), they are going to have to cop that it makes them more unpopular with opposition fans.

The dignity has definitely gone out of the game, but a lot of that is a result of behaviour on the field imo...

Fibroman

First Grade
The booing and all that rubbish started when they took the cane out of the schools and stopped police from belting hoodlums.

When there was discipline in the schools and streets, people had manners. Booing anyone is just plain old bad manners. In saying that, I would be tempted to boo some of the Roosters supporters on this forums, because they have no manners, and I would like them to experience some embarassment without having to resort to name calling like they do.

Freddie got booed because he left Penrith and became a yuppie.

mj5150

Juniors
fibro man said:
I would be tempted to boo some of the Roosters supporters on this forums, because they have no manners, and I would like them to experience some embarassment without having to resort to name calling like they do.

Do you even stop to take any notice of what you're saying?
You say you don't resort to name calling, but in the very next breath you call Freddie a yuppie.

We also have to put up with a "Sunsilk Set" reference every second post along with "Pretty Boys" etc etc.

What is wrong with you Taxi Boy?

Jamiroquai

Juniors
fibro man said:
The booing and all that rubbish started when they took the cane out of the schools and stopped police from belting hoodlums.

When there was discipline in the schools and streets, people had manners. Booing anyone is just plain old bad manners. In saying that, I would be tempted to boo some of the Roosters supporters on this forums, because they have no manners, and I would like them to experience some embarassment without having to resort to name calling like they do.

In other words he succeeded ! typical looser attitude ! if you loose your ok ! but if you dare to be successful they will boo you ! so it seems to me that freddie and the roosters are very successful and the inferiorty complexes of the Rif Supporters cant handle it ! is that it ?? :roll: :roll:

wittyz chick

Coach
Have you guys woken up...it happens everywhere if you aint at your home ground your gonna get booed get over it. Freddy and the Roosters successful...yeah sure (NOT) if there so damn successful why cant you beat Penrith all the time...you cant beat them in a Grand Final, when they are comming last U STILL CANT BEAT THEM...yeah your soooooooo successful...MAYB IN A MILLION YRS...ill give you the definition of your beloved roosters:
GREEDY, N UR ALL UP URSELVES, U PRETTY BOYS MAKE ME SIK...
n ur going :!: next time u verse parra so watch out!

northey

First Grade
this happens all the time and most people have done it.

sure we will boo the roosters when they are playing against us and you lot will boo us.....

but it is nothing new.

you will find that most of the high profiled players in the NRL like, andrew johns, brad fittler, gordon tallis and other such people will always be booed..... and most of the time it is the captian of the team that is booed... but i have never seen steve price booed?!!?!

innsaneink

Referee
Penelope Pittstop said:
I have never booed anyone in my entire life. Sorry accept Killer Kawolski at the Championship Wrestling... but I really hated him when I was 4.

No matter which team we are playing against I always clap the opposition as they run out on the field.

Very commendable PP....I wish I was so restrained at the footy. :lol:

Just wondering your reaction at the '02 GF when Villa launched himself,
airborne and headfirst into freddies face? I take you did attend.

Sorry for my memory lapse....am i right in that there was not even a penalty ensue from this action?

Reaction PP?

Kaz

junior
Penelope Pittstop said:
I have never booed anyone in my entire life.

I have & that's including a few of my own players. :lol:

I do the same, but under my breath I am hoping a missile lands on them. :oops:

It has all got to do with the team.

I am a knights supporter, when i am at lang park cheering on the knights to kick the broncos behinds, i always booed tallis even infront of the 30,000 broncos fans, i didnt care, i felt invincible with a knights jersey on my back, but i am also a QLD supporter, so during origin time tallis was my hero, he was my god and johns was the enemy, i had maroon running through my body...

I dont think the players take it to heart, they know what it is all about. I love johns, gidley, buderus, tahu, kennedy during the regular season. But during origin, i want their heads on a platter and i want webcke and co to present them too me.

It is a part of the game.

When they are all together playing for Australia, i love them all equally, because they are such tremendous players.

poetic tragedy

Juniors
northey said:
..... and most of the time it is the captian of the team that is booed... but i have never seen steve price booed?!!?!
I think most people want to stay alive long enough to be able to watch atleast one more footy season. :lol:
Say anything bad about the dogs and you'll have the whole of lakemba, campsie, bankstown, greenacre etc etc 'till you have 6/8th of the footie population on your back.

On topic, I don't think any player should have to go through any of that. The bit that pissed me off most about the thing on the footy show when Fittler was on and he couldn't even talk loud enough to be heard because of the bombardment of boo's was the fact that the two years before that the "supporters" of the Panthers were hiding in their cabins at the base of the mountains afraid to admit they were supporters of their "beloved" club. As soon as the Panthers began to get anywhere on their own accord, they all got behind them acting as if they're been following them from the beginning, pfft, PLEASE! They do have some quality players, and to me they're no different to any other club, but it's mainly the supporters who give the clubs a bad name. It's all for the love of the game as they say, and there's no need for any of the nonsense some people have to put up with.
That's the bottom line, and my two cents.

Fibroman

First Grade
I actually prefer to get down near the fence when the players are near the side line or the in goal area and unleash with a barrage of quality sledging rather than a simple boo. I absolutely gave it to Cayless at Penrith Park, even though the rorters gave us a hiding in the first half. Pretty boy Crocker also copped a bit from Fibroman regarding his girlie tattoo on his back. He didn't like it much, but all the Panther fans within earshot had a good belly laugh at his expense. :lol:

Latest posts