What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illawarra Cutters - Round 13

TheRev

Coach
http://www.dragons.com.au/news-display/76298

Probably the best news this week is the inclusion of Runciman & Garvey into the Cutters side, its time to see if either are ready for a birth in 1st grade this year (rushed I know, but we are desperate):

1. Adam Quinlan
2. Gus Aiga
3. Charly Runciman
4. Junior Vaivai
5. Kose Lelei
6. Jamie Soward
7. Josh Drinkwater
8. Evrett Vaurasi
9. Damien Cook
10. Jarrad Hickey (c)
11. Will Matthews
12. Atelea Vea
13. Matt Handcock
14. Todd Ryan
15. Craig Garvey
16. Blake Phillips
17. Shannon Wakeman
19. Josh Toole

Last edited by a moderator:

BennyV

Referee
More likely to fast-track them for early next year...still, good on them!

Will be interested to see how Drinkwater handles it with Soward next to him. Hopefully he takes a bit of control and shows he is ready first NRL...

What time is the game on?

TheRev

Coach
Ooh just noticed Cutters are being telecast again this week:

FOX1: 13:10 AEST - Saturday 8th June (Newcastle Home Ground)

Great chance to see potentially Quinlan/Garvey/Runciman/VaiVai/Sowie/Drinkwater go around, though I have a lil feeling that atleast 1 of those wont end up playing.. not sure Price will go with the named 1st grade side.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Ooh just noticed Cutters are being telecast again this week:

FOX1: 13:10 AEST - Saturday 8th June (Newcastle Home Ground)

Great chance to see potentially Quinlan/Garvey/Runciman/VaiVai/Sowie/Drinkwater go around, though I have a lil feeling that atleast 1 of those wont end up playing.. not sure Price will go with the named 1st grade side.

yeah agree that there's likely to be some changes - hopefully not caused by Merrin or Morris not playing

TheRev

Coach
Really dissapointed by the Cutters game today, not the loss (28-26) was a to and fro game... but with the trouble in 1st grade, it was the moment for the handful of fringe players to stand up and push for positions... and there were no consistent performances.

Defence all over was just crap, hard to pick out anyone in particular because they were all flailing arms, every time one of their bigger/faster units got the ball (Likiliki & Mata’utia especially) they just went straight through the Dragons team.

Also I feel like they really need a real leader, they looked good when Soward took control early and feel away into a rable later.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

o Soward: Started out with purpose and not surprisingly looked pretty good as a 1st grade playmaker... he did run once (though you can see his brain thinking about it still), and anyway he streaked downfield when he did... but then he fell away for the rest of the game, but good kicking game as normal.

o Drinkwater: Mixed game, was a bit intimidated by Sowie early on, got better, I just wanted him to really smash it and force his way into 1st grade.. he did get to keep the goalkicking all game too and was again mixed, 1 cracker from the sideline and some other big misses.

o Cook/Garvey: Cook was good, runs straight... Garvey played his first game for the Cutters and easily fits in, hes much bigger and stronger than Cook, size wise he could play 1st grade immediately, its just his fitness and experience.. love his frame though, fast and strong *crosses fingers*

o Quinlan: Couple of sweet touches in attack but horror game in defence, I mentioned this when he was selected in 1st grade that to be a serious fullback option hes going to need plenty of time in that position... he has a heap to learn about how to close down an attacker from fullback hes just not natural at it (yet), ironically when he got the ball at a left centre position he disected the defence like a fine surgeon and put his winger away.. was beautiful to watch.

o Runciman: 2nd time ive seen him, just 'a centre' nothing good, nothing bad, doesnt look 'powerful' or 'fast' just an unkown quantity lets see him do a year for the Cutters

o Vai Vai: Started on fire, good aerial skills, speed and strength.. went a bit missing in the 2nd half but still stands out amongst a 2nd grade line-up, still a 5x better choice than Green for 1st grade though.

o Vidot: Moved around a bit, played in the 2nd row for a bit and looked good, but wasnt a long period of time so who knows stamina-wise, but great to see the coach try it.. hes a big unit and caused a lot of trouble against the smaller opposition, but wouldnt be a Vidot game without a couple of clanging errors.

o Lelei: Left Winger was convincing, some great put downs nice finishing.. like to see more of him, might be a decent replacement for BMoz if needed.

Last edited:

bottle

Coach
it was the moment for the handful of fringe players to stand up and push for positions... and there were no consistent performances.

Defence all over was just crap, hard to pick out anyone in particular because they were all flailing arms, every time one of their bigger/faster units got the ball (Likiliki & Mata?utia especially) they just went straight through the Dragons team.
Bingo.
Next time someone starts lamenting why this, that or the other young bloke hasn't been given a shot in firsts, this is why.
Because it would be a disaster.
Until someone demands a run due to good, consistent form, they don't deserve a run just for the sake of it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Only saw the first half and they started well, leading 10-0 (both tries set up by Soward).

But the defence up the middle was woeful after that. Terrible reads, no real technique. Who is the defence coach? Even if they sack him now, some of the players will take months to be rehabilitated.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Only saw the first half and they started well, leading 10-0 (both tries set up by Soward).

But the defence up the middle was woeful after that. Terrible reads, no real technique. Who is the defence coach? Even if they sack him now, some of the players will take months to be rehabilitated.

Clearly, it was Soward's fault.

Father Ted

First Grade
Runciman was on the left.

I was Confused when I thought Rev said Quinlan was there??

Quinlan: Couple of sweet touches in attack but horror game in defence, I mentioned this when he was selected in 1st grade that to be a serious fullback option hes going to need plenty of time in that position... he has a heap to learn about how to close down an attacker from fullback hes just not natural at it (yet), ironically when he got the ball at a left centre position he disected the defence like a fine surgeon and put his winger away.. was beautiful to watch.

Last edited:

TheRev

Coach
Sorry for confusion, Quinlan was at fullback all game, he just slotted in around centre or more a 5/8 position on 1 attacking play and looked awesome going across the face of the opposition with speed. Just made me curious if its another option.

Runciman was on the left btw, Vai Vai got moved to the right, I dont think it suited him but seems like hes not going to get a start in 1st grade anyway.

0/2 today, bring on first grade!

mightydragon

Juniors
Dean Young has jumped on board as an assistant coach for the cutters so you would think he will help with the middle's defence

nrlnrl

First Grade
Really dissapointed by the Cutters game today, not the loss (28-26) was a to and fro game... but with the trouble in 1st grade, it was the moment for the handful of fringe players to stand up and push for positions... and there were no consistent performances.

Defence all over was just crap, hard to pick out anyone in particular because they were all flailing arms, every time one of their bigger/faster units got the ball (Likiliki & Mata?utia especially) they just went straight through the Dragons team.

Also I feel like they really need a real leader, they looked good when Soward took control early and feel away into a rable later.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

o Soward: Started out with purpose and not surprisingly looked pretty good as a 1st grade playmaker... he did run once (though you can see his brain thinking about it still), and anyway he streaked downfield when he did... but then he fell away for the rest of the game, but good kicking game as normal.

o Drinkwater: Mixed game, was a bit intimidated by Sowie early on, got better, I just wanted him to really smash it and force his way into 1st grade.. he did get to keep the goalkicking all game too and was again mixed, 1 cracker from the sideline and some other big misses.

o Cook/Garvey: Cook was good, runs straight... Garvey played his first game for the Cutters and easily fits in, hes much bigger and stronger than Cook, size wise he could play 1st grade immediately, its just his fitness and experience.. love his frame though, fast and strong *crosses fingers*

o Quinlan: Couple of sweet touches in attack but horror game in defence, I mentioned this when he was selected in 1st grade that to be a serious fullback option hes going to need plenty of time in that position... he has a heap to learn about how to close down an attacker from fullback hes just not natural at it (yet), ironically when he got the ball at a left centre position he disected the defence like a fine surgeon and put his winger away.. was beautiful to watch.

o Runciman: 2nd time ive seen him, just 'a centre' nothing good, nothing bad, doesnt look 'powerful' or 'fast' just an unkown quantity lets see him do a year for the Cutters

o Vai Vai: Started on fire, good aerial skills, speed and strength.. went a bit missing in the 2nd half but still stands out amongst a 2nd grade line-up, still a 5x better choice than Green for 1st grade though.

o Vidot: Moved around a bit, played in the 2nd row for a bit and looked good, but wasnt a long period of time so who knows stamina-wise, but great to see the coach try it.. hes a big unit and caused a lot of trouble against the smaller opposition, but wouldnt be a Vidot game without a couple of clanging errors.

o Lelei: Left Winger was convincing, some great put downs nice finishing.. like to see more of him, might be a decent replacement for BMoz if needed.

I heard that Garvey also played NSW Cup last week but don't know how he went

Lelei - a couple of solid finishes, but his running in general play was terrible. He runs across field way too much & doesn't make any ground.