What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm going to sue the Cronulla Sharks, says veteran doctor Dave Givney

Frenzy.

Post Whore
So Frenzy, what is the error of judgement that Dr Givney is alleged to have made ?

You have commented elsewhere that the 5 were suspended because of management process issues and "duty of care" issues around the administrarion of Warfarin - nothing to do with the peptide allegations.

Did Dr Givney ever sanction or administer a single Warfarin injection ? NO !
Did Dr Givney ever sanction or administer a single peptide dose ? NO !
Did Dr Givney stop practices he was unhappy with as soon as he became aware (thus fulfilling his duty of care) ? YES
Did Dr Givney inform the football management team about his concerns ? YES !
Did Dr Givney hand in his resignation at board level to trigger action on Dank ? YES !

So why is he being hung out to dry ???

Been explained here and the other forum.

Omnishark2

Juniors
Been explained here and the other forum.

Of course, the vague & nebulous "duty of care" - what a crock !

Look we all know the board are rightly trying to protect the Sharks from future legal liabilities.

But throwing an innocent medical professional with 27 years loyal service overboard is just completely wrong & immoral.

Windy70

Juniors
Simple fact is, he has to sue. Every report reflects that he did his job and reported to those working around him, those with enough power to 86 Dank. If it never went further up the ladder then not really his fault, considering he has only ever had handshake deals with the club.

The board did the dirty on him under the push and shove from play doh hair Kavanaugh, even though she admitted he did his job.

Not sure the guy has a choice.

Vin Fizz

Bench
Of course, the vague & nebulous "duty of care" - what a crock !

Look we all know the board are rightly trying to protect the Sharks from future legal liabilities.

But throwing an innocent medical professional with 27 years loyal service overboard is just completely wrong & immoral.

Last edited:

Vin Fizz

Bench
Here's my drivel.
Ok I need to consolidate the state of play in my mind in simple(ish) dot points :
ASADA were apparently tipped off by an ex-employee about the use of performance enhancing drugs at the club. The club was already the subject of an investigation that to date had not been resolved and had yet (and is yet) to report any startling evidence.
The investigation seems to affect players that were with the club and some currently remain at the time in question.
The club appointed consultant, who had been employed to advise the players, provided potential options once the report’s findings are handed down (some 4 weeks away now) including plea bargaining among a raft of other things..
ASADA apparently then met with Sharks officials last week to outline the current state of their investigation having received this latest intel.
The Board, who had been pressured all week, and were in their words, working all week to sort through the issues, finally break their silence. It appears that based on events in the lead up to the presser on Friday felt they had sufficient cause to take action against the support staff. Whilst this is coincident with the investigation and has links to it, it was reinforced by the Board as not being because of the ASADA findings.
The Chairman who had been overseas returned and regrettably made some inflammatory comments I suspect because he had grossly underestimated the intensity of the story on the ground in Aus and made an error in judgement which is potentially career ending..
The players go out and despite all this win their opening game in a show of courage and solidarity rarely seen. Whilst they will no doubt stick together in the short term they will have one eye out for anything that might bring resolution to them. They will support the sacked staff because of the trust they placed in them.
The ARLC have stepped in with support and staff to assist the club through the crisis. The more we look the more we find.
So in a nutshell our finances stink. We all really knew that to be fair. The development thread is full of this won’t save our short term money issues and we need to have a plan to get us to the point where the development start bringing in the revenue.
Our tenuous position has meant that we have not been able to offer the cash required to get the top line administrators to the club. The Admins staff, Board etc has been working for feck all and to their credit has probably saved the club from relocation many times. However we find ourselves in a dire predicament which would test the likes of the most hardened sports admin team and may have made some (time will tell) judgement errors as a result.
The fans are gutted because this was going to be our year having assembled a formidable squad under the guidance of 2 of the removed staff.

What do we need:
I’ve just finished reading QF32. Great story and we could learn a bit from Capt De Crespigny. If I was on the Board id take the same approach. We know things are terrible, but instead of focusing on what wrong, putting fires out and trawling through checklists we need to know what sort of aeroplane we have, and can we get it to a safe destination where we can resolve the issues. That’s what BC will do. Strike deals, set milestones, can we pay our bills, are we currently compliant, is anything going to close us down today, and bring our focus right back. Back to basic lads, get the team ready for next week. Get the coaching staff behind them sorted, give whatever assurances you can to the players, sponsors and staff . Give them a date that the next milestone will be met ( pushing the ASADA feckers to have their report done in 4 weeks and hold them to it is where I wouls start) provide updates as promised and where possible get the team, staff and players to contribute so they feel a part of the solution. This will help bind the club. Close ranks and deliver just a very short statement of progress to the media every day.
A bit simple and probably shyte I know.

Last edited:

Gowerz

Juniors
Good summary...

The reason behind the boards actions I suspect has more to do with pressure applied by ASADA/ARLC review suggesting a breakdown in corporate governance, appropriate reporting mechanisms and systems etc.

Bit of a catch-22, board running on a shoestring budget without a CEO, delegations of authority/decisions fall to the next person down the line in the management structure...

I'll bet if you asked Shane Flannagan what his "delegation of authority" required him to do or not do, what he should or shouldn't report he wouldn't necessarily know.

Just my thoughts on the matter...

Fire

First Grade
VETERAN Cronulla doctor Dave Givney has become the first official to hit back at the Sharks over his sacking after confirming last night he was taking legal action against the club he served tirelessly for 28 years.

Givney, head trainer Mark Noakes, physiotherapist Konrad Schultz and football manager Darren Mooney were dismissed last Friday while head coach Shane Flanagan was stood down pending a review for failing to inform the board of alleged doping practices at the club in 2011.
Givney was the first to sound the alarm over the methods of controversial sports scientist Stephen Dank at the Sharks - Dank is under investigation for his work at clubs across the NRL and AFL - and even tendered his resignation to Flanagan and Mooney. It was rejected.
Givney met his lawyer Sam Macedone at his Miranda offices last night to consider his options. The veteran doctor was stunned at his sacking after being a loyal servant to the struggling club. Givney was also the Australian and NSW doctor during his career.
"After meeting with my lawyer today I've decided to take legal action," Givney said last night.
"I have no desire to do anything to harm the club but I'm forced to leave matters in the hands of my lawyers at this time."
It is believed that Macedone has already issued the Cronulla club with a cease-and-desist letter to prevent directors from referring to Givney publicly.
Meanwhile, interim Cronulla coach Peter Sharp holds grave fears for the wellbeing of several players after yesterday revealing the strain the doping scandal had placed on the team.
"They're in pieces, mate," Sharp said. "There's blokes that haven't slept for days. There's blokes that have lost weight. I'm seriously worried about them. I've got two boys the same age and I wouldn't like them to be put under this sort of pressure."
Players returned to Sharks Stadium yesterday for a recovery session where they slipped into ice baths and had massages after Sunday night's win over the Titans. Sharp, Cronulla captain Paul Gallen and centre Ben Pomeroy caught up with Flanagan and Noakes yesterday following the club's emotional 12-10 win over the Gold Coast at Sharks Stadium on Sunday night. "He's a mate and we get together and talk about footy," Sharp said.
Gallen looked distressed after the match and it is believed he is one of several players to have lost weight since the doping scandal broke last week. Players were allegedly told they would face six-month bans if they co-operated with the ASADA investigation or risk two years if they didn't. It is believed the six-month offer expired last night.
The Sharks' next assignment will be South Sydney at ANZ Stadium on Monday night and at this stage Sharp has no plans to stand down anyone. However, he said he would not be afraid to step in and make a tough call if he thought players were suffering too much stress after NRL chief executive Dave Smith said the ASADA investigation could drag on for a month. "I wouldn't hesitate in giving a couple of them a rest, but they don't want to rest. They all want to desperately play."
The speculation continued yesterday that chairman Damian Irvine was poised to stand down from his position - or already had - after going public on Sunday and confirming that players had been administered with horse drugs in 2011.
The Sharks will receive some relief tomorrow when former Brisbane boss Bruno Cullen is expected to arrive at the club. Cullen has been recruited by the NRL along with a financial officer and a welfare officer to provide help.
The situation has again raised concerns over the Sharks' financial future - they still have a debt of more than $3 million - which has prompted speculation the club might have to look at moving in order to survive. The bid chief of the Perth-based West Coast Pirates consortium said he would be willing to discuss the situation with the NRL, but that it would need to be done properly or risk irreparable damage to the sport.
Perth has been mooted as one potential destination should the NRL decide to shut down the Sharks' southern Sydney base.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/im-going-to-sue-the-cronulla-sharks-says-veteran-doctor-dave-givney/story-fnca0von-1226595051250?sv=2250b45f0d91e1692399bf3d008e24aa#.UT5HnxtORD8.twitter

Only read the header but not the article.

I hope he f**king goes to town on your club. Your Board are absolute f**king merkins. Absolute f**king merkins. I know the Givney family well and it broke my heart watching that press conference last Friday afternoon.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Good summary...

The reason behind the boards actions I suspect has more to do with pressure applied by ASADA/ARLC review suggesting a breakdown in corporate governance, appropriate reporting mechanisms and systems etc.

Bit of a catch-22, board running on a shoestring budget without a CEO, delegations of authority/decisions fall to the next person down the line in the management structure...

I'll bet if you asked Shane Flannagan what his "delegation of authority" required him to do or not do, what he should or shouldn't report he wouldn't necessarily know.

Just my thoughts on the matter...

I bet you are right but that might be problematic for Shane. Some will say he should of known

Slackboy72

Coach
I hope he sues them for $300 million.

dr-evil.jpg

Omnishark2

Juniors
Simple fact is, he has to sue. Every report reflects that he did his job and reported to those working around him, those with enough power to 86 Dank. If it never went further up the ladder then not really his fault, considering he has only ever had handshake deals with the club.

The board did the dirty on him under the push and shove from play doh hair Kavanaugh, even though she admitted he did his job.

Not sure the guy has a choice.

Spot on Windy.

Why the hell did we ever engage Kavanagh ... and make sackings prematurely on her preliminary report before the whole ASADA affair has played out ?

Windy70

Juniors
Can tell you guys now we are a small fish that was hooked fair and square through our own stupidity. The result of that has been an uncovering of many more issues at the Sharks then we all knew about. We do now.

There is another club, next on the list that is going to feel it a whole lot worse. Our experience has already given them a heads up so they can reduce the impact. But soon, the Sharks debacle will be off the front page.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Spot on Windy.

Why the hell did we ever engage Kavanagh ... and make sackings prematurely on her preliminary report before the whole ASADA affair has played out ?

its called jumping at shadows. Its killed many companies before & will contine to kill the weak ones.
Worst case scenario, we had team Armstrong in our dressing sheds pumping everything they could into our players veins, twice a day. We would still get out unscathed. Think of the monumental effort it took the worlds best anti-doping agency to catch just one man with a thousand enemies. It wasnt until he gave up, that he was "caught".
Think their enough resources in the world to chase 30 people from a bum f**k country a million miles away?