What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm going to sue the Cronulla Sharks, says veteran doctor Dave Givney

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I don't think his reputation has been tarnished in fact he probably has more support then ever right now due to this shitty situation. I haven't seen anyone say a bad word about him and the fact the sharks have told him he is no longer required (and he did not have a contract). It is universally accepted the sharks are the ones in the wrong here not the people sacked hence his lawyer believes he has a case.

I don't agree he should of been sacked but to sue to the club you claim to love so much is a shitty move. I believe the board has sadly to go because of their actions on Friday and the weekend but to sue the club over this will only hurt the club and the fans(who the majority want him to have his job back).

This is a case of "f**k me? f**k you!". Nobody wins.

Its a brilliant move & will ensure a good outcome for the Sharks.

Special K

Coach
I do not believe he has been tarnished to anyone who really knows what is going on and I agree he has been wronged. I have seen nothing but support for him from the media, ex players, current players and fans. Most people accept he is being made a scapegoat for something that "may or may not have happened". I just can't agree with suing the club even though they've ended their handshake agreement with him over it.

I can't answer those questions because I haven't been on the ground floor of this club for 27 years like he has aaaaand I hate my job so I can't imagine losing a job I love. I know how upsetting this stuff is to me as a fan so I hate to think it how he is feeling. I'd like to see the sharks give him(and the others) their job back but that doesn't look like happening and frankly why would they come back after this.

Everyone is supporting the sacked staff but I can't support them wanting to sue the club which is already on its knees even if they do have a case. Personally I would hate to be responsible for the final bullet in this clubs head. Again I haven't just lost my job at the Sharks and I still love the Sharkies. The whole thing is a mess and really did not need to be this way.

Jimbo

Immortal
In the press conference on Friday, the dude said that the Sharks had recently paid off a large chunk of the debt to St George Bank. I can't remember the exact figure but I seem to recall $10mil. Don't know if it was $10mil that was paid off, or if it was $10mil and is now down to $3mil.

The total debt was about $16.8m at the end of 2011, $10m of which was paid off last year. That will save the club about $500k per year in interest

The 2012 figures will be released at the AGM

Vin Fizz

Bench
mmm interesting. The good Dr is being supported by the players. Of course he is. Just think about it for second. The players are trained to trust, its part of the deal as a footy player. The players have the highest profile, and are the fellas in this whole debacle that are the most popular (Board being least i'd hazard a guess). Everyone will beleive them at the moment vice the Board. So how would they really be processing this? On the one hand they have alegedly taken substances prescribed by the medico staff blindly in trust (why wouldnt you. Some people do that while others a far more sceptical and it takes all types). Now if that turns out to be the wrong thing to have done and they should've investigated just a little bit what it was that they were taking then they would have mixed feelings at the moment ranging from shit should i have been that ignorant?.... to nah, there's no way they would have led me down the garden path. First reaction.....nah the Dr coudnt have done that. Brillaint discusion on sportsline last night with DUI, Skippy and Matt Adamson. If the Dr thinks he has grounds to sue and who knows it could be for management misshandling rather than wrongful dismissal then he has that right. i have some doubts on this one.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
mmm interesting. The good Dr is being supported by the players. Of course he is. Just think about it for second. The players are trained to trust, its part of the deal as a footy player. The players have the highest profile, and are the fellas in this whole debacle that are the most popular (Board being least i'd hazard a guess). Everyone will beleive them at the moment vice the Board. So how would they really be processing this? On the one hand they have alegedly taken substances prescribed by the medico staff blindly in trust (why wouldnt you. Some people do that while others a far more sceptical and it takes all types). Now if that turns out to be the wrong thing to have done and they should've investigated just a little bit what it was that they were taking then they would have mixed feelings at the moment ranging from shit should i have been that ignorant?.... to nah, there's no way they would have led me down the garden path. First reaction.....nah the Dr coudnt have done that. Brillaint discusion on sportsline last night with DUI, Skippy and Matt Adamson. If the Dr thinks he has grounds to sue and who knows it could be for management misshandling rather than wrongful dismissal then he has that right. i have some doubts on this one.

Another possible technicality. It is my understanding the doctor and physio were not dismissed. They were told their services were no longer required. Were they actually employed?

The other 2 were terminated.

Omnishark2

Juniors
So special - hypothetically you love where you work, you are passionate about it and then one day you are sacked for something you feel you had no control over.

All of your ex colleagues support you to the hilt, yet the organisation you love says you have failed in your duties.

Your ability to work in this industry is questionable because your reputation has been tarnsihed. Forget the fact that you may not want to work with another employer in this industry because it is this employer that you love.

What would you do - take the hit and just sit back because "you love" this ex employer?

Are you saying you are a person of greater integrity that David Givney?? Obviously Ausguy thinks he is!!!

Completely agree with you Isurus !

David Givney is a man of the highest integrity.
He has acted as doctor for both the Australian cricket team & Australian rugby league teams.
He has given his heart & soul to the Sharks for 27 years, for very little pay - like most in Sharks admin, way below market rates.
He stopped Dank administering Warfarin as soon as he found out about it.
He was instrumental in getting Dank removed from the club altogether.
Has has now had his professional reputation trashed completely unfairly, when he has only ever done the right thing.
This is an extremely poor way to treat people after 27 years of service.

Why wouldn't he take legal action ?

At the very least it might make DI engage his brain before he opens his mouth.

Isurus

Juniors
I do not believe he has been tarnished to anyone who really knows what is going on and I agree he has been wronged. I have seen nothing but support for him from the media, ex players, current players and fans. Most people accept he is being made a scapegoat for something that "may or may not have happened". I just can't agree with suing the club even though they've ended their handshake agreement with him over it.

I can't answer those questions because I haven't been on the ground floor of this club for 27 years like he has aaaaand I hate my job so I can't imagine losing a job I love. I know how upsetting this stuff is to me as a fan so I hate to think it how he is feeling. I'd like to see the sharks give him(and the others) their job back but that doesn't look like happening and frankly why would they come back after this.

Everyone is supporting the sacked staff but I can't support them wanting to sue the club which is already on its knees even if they do have a case. Personally I would hate to be responsible for the final bullet in this clubs head. Again I haven't just lost my job at the Sharks and I still love the Sharkies. The whole thing is a mess and really did not need to be this way.

Yeah - understand where you are coming from!!!

Vin Fizz

Bench
Didnt realise that Frenz. I found myself doing a consolidation post this morning but i have not posted yet (looks and sounds like telling everyone how to suck eggs). Its clear to me though that whilst everything is being hung on the ASADA hat rack regarding any shit that befalls us at the moment, the reality is there is shit everywhere at the club. Some related to the investigation, some related to shit finances, some to bad management due to the previous and the inability to afford full time administration, some beacuse that's what other clubs do do why cant we...blah blah... I was shattered like everyon else last week but didnt really thisnk we could fold. But every rock that we turn over is covered in funnel deaths. I'm worried now!

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Men of high integrity can make mistakes in judgement and errors as well as anybody.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Didnt realise that Frenz. I found myself doing a consolidation post this morning but i have not posted yet (looks and sounds like telling everyone how to suck eggs). Its clear to me though that whilst everything is being hung on the ASADA hat rack regarding any shit that befalls us at the moment, the reality is there is shit everywhere at the club. Some related to the investigation, some related to shit finances, some to bad management due to the previous and the inability to afford full time administration, some beacuse that's what other clubs do do why cant we...blah blah... I was shattered like everyon else last week but didnt really thisnk we could fold. But every rock that we turn over is covered in funnel deaths. I'm worried now!

Post it anyway, everyone else is having a say.

Omnishark2

Juniors
Men of high integrity can make mistakes in judgement and errors as well as anybody.

So Frenzy, what is the error of judgement that Dr Givney is alleged to have made ?

You have commented elsewhere that the 5 were suspended because of management process issues and "duty of care" issues around the administrarion of Warfarin - nothing to do with the peptide allegations.

Did Dr Givney ever sanction or administer a single Warfarin injection ? NO !
Did Dr Givney ever sanction or administer a single peptide dose ? NO !
Did Dr Givney stop practices he was unhappy with as soon as he became aware (thus fulfilling his duty of care) ? YES !
Did Dr Givney inform the football management team about his concerns ? YES !
Did Dr Givney hand in his resignation at board level to trigger action on Dank ? YES !

So why is he being hung out to dry ???

Gregbyday

Juniors
In regards to the Dr. and people throwing loose accusations around about him. Put up evidence or shut up. He is one of the most decent people you could ever meet and his integrity is second to none.

Latest posts