What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm still not convinced...

Collateral

Coach
That we are good enough to win the Premiership. It takes more than a good win against Brisbane to win a Premiership...its going to take a good win against a side like Manly who are just as good as Brisbane and then we are going to have to back it up again against Melbourne AND THEN do it again in the GF.

If we beat Manly and come through without anymore injuries, I will get excited.

Bailey said it himself that we are not playing good enough. We have the best roster in the comp but as proven before, that also is not good enough.

They Key in this whole thing is Trent Barrett...too long has he lurked in the shadows. He is playing behind a rep foward pack so he can pretend he is playing for the Blues.

We cant afford another average game from here till after the final whistle on Grand Final day, then we need to go and beat some bogan English team.

Do you think we can be Perfect or Near perfect for 3 more games? I know we can. Last year we played the best football I have seen a team play for a long time in that long unbeaten run and it started against Manly. Replicate that form and we can take this thing all the way.

The only question is: Will We?

bornadragon

Juniors
The reality is we've been here time and time again. I'am excited but I'm also "once bitten twice shy" and we've been bitten quiet a few time in the past and as recent as last year.

This year.... Remember the rampaging Bulldogs and their destructive ways. Remember the consistent form of the Storm... "Reality Bites"

Man I want to yell to the skies "SAINT GEORGE" but I have to wait until October 1 @ around 9.30pm to 10.00 pm

That's if we've invited.... All we can do for now is ONLY HOPE

Still... "SAINT GEORGE"

The Preacher

First Grade
I've seen quite a few of our failures, in fact all of them since the "run", so I'm immune to some degree to failure, though last year was very,very hard to take, so I'll go on the books as saying we have as much chance of winning this year as we've had every other year before failure greets us.
We have some of the greatest talent in the NRL running around in the RedV, and we know they can put it together when they want to, it's just a question of DO THEY WANT TO ??
Yes they do, and I'll be cheering louder and longer than I did in the days of the Sheridan Stand. Go you Mighty Dragons !!! :D

bornadragon

Juniors
Our (their) season of misdemeanors are there to learn from - Practice for opening night - October 1 2006. Still, more rehearsal need to be achieved and the fat lady IS watching all of us - she's a relentless bitch that shows no mercy. Still, we're got to earn the right to participate in the big dance. First things, first.

Collateral

Coach
Maybe we should drink Powerade then?

The bad thing about the big win against Bisbane is that it has again turned media attention to us.

If IF, we beat Manly, everyone will probably be putting money on us to beat Melbourne and win the premiership, which I HATE.

Not that we cant do it but the extra media attention has seemed to have a very negative effect on us in the past. If I was Brown, I would be trying to put a media blackout on the players and stop them watching the sport news and reading it lol. Extreme, but for the best I think.

bornadragon

Juniors
Exactly ! ! ! Though their big boys and will have to just shoulder that burden.

It's all about scoring a try in the corner OR taking it up the guts and putting one under the black dot... THE SAINT GEORGE WAY ! ! !

bornadragon

Juniors
Question: If Manly's main jersey colour is white, Canterbury's main colour is white. We finished the lowest down the table. Will they MAKE us wear the all red strip and thus NOT see the RED V again this season (only against the storm) if we make it that far ? ? ?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I rather not think about it.

We had a pretty ordinary record with that red thing this year.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I still wouldn't get excited even if we beat Melbourne.

We beat Cronulla in '99, and everyone basically put their mortgage, first born child and their left foot on us taking the GF.

The reality is the players really do need to realise that, it's now or never.

Bailey, Barrett and Timmo leaving could be the incentive they need. I'm hoping it is anyway...

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
One word..... Experience.

Its priceless. If we, as expected, beat Manly, we still won't have the pressure on us. we have betaen Melbourne & Canterbury once a piece in the last five yaers or thereabouts.

We haven't played anywhere near the level we played at last week in 12 months, thats right, not ONCE this year have we played anywhere near it. It was utterly frustrating as we all know. But we are here now & the fear that I see in these threads is the exact same fear that permeated & cost us last year, both as supporters & a club as a whole. I've shared the pain like all of you, I've been shattered & gutted & it would be easy to be apprehensive & hold a little bit back, just like I have in the past. But I point blank REFUSE to show any fear this season, I have total faith in this club to shed the weight of expectation that hangs like a mill stone around our neck. Be positive & keep the faith.

Experience cannot be measured, Experience is priceless. Don't believe the hype & barbs about being under achievers & chokers, face the fact we simply haven't been good enough any year between 2000 & 2004 & put last year down to experience. I sense a purpose & composure this year that can only come from experience.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself & I believe we've conquered it.

There is no time like the present.

Albinomonkey

Juniors
I know it's in the back of my mind that we might make the Grand Final, but I'm surpressing that like there's no tomorrow. I am a little bit more confident after the Manly match, but not enough for me to even consider thinking about seeing us in the grand final. FFS it's still only monday... :(

Collateral

Coach
Still not convinced TBH. If Manly holds onto the ball on a couple of plays we are behind on the scoreboard instead of infront.

We need to be the first to score against Melb., and defend like we did against Manly for 81mins. More if it goes into Golden Point.

Slackboy72

Coach
I am convinced that we are playing 200% better than when we were beaten by Melbourne and Canterbury.

dragonfire

Bench
i agree, when we played Bulldogs the first time this year i was happy with the performance and the 2nd time we played Melbourne i was again happy with our performance, however we have definitely lifted our game since that during the final series. My problem with Melbourne is that they didnt lift against Parramatta and have been playing at the same level all year, will they be able to lift above the consistent form of the year? if not i dont think they can match us in any part of the game except for Inglis in attack

glory79

Juniors
I agree. I dont think Melbourne have been good at all in their last 4 games to be honest.

They beat brisbane after being down 12-0 at half time. Then they lost to the Warriors, narrowly beat Canberra and Manly and then Parra. I know they have won most of these games, but I think there may be some trouble there. Im confident that if we play the way we played in the past two weeks, we will win and win well. Get on the 19+ at the Tab, its a special!

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Thats the spirit.

I think we are holding all the aces & playing at a level above what any other team has shown so far this year. We were consistent in patches without being brilliant, in fact I can only recall one or two dominant performances through the season, the rest we were just sort of coasting.

Melbourne are a very good side because they are so well drilled & disciplined. We are now displaying those same attributes & controlling games, I think we are definitely more talented across the park & thats what should make the difference. Strangle them & run them off their feet on the fringes & I think we can get them.

Still, they have been the benchmark all year & will take 80 minutes (maybe longer) to get over. I can't wait for tis game.

No fear.